The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Student life in Manchester

I’m starting my studies at Futureworks in Salford/ Manchester in Sept 2021, and I was wondering some things about student life in Manchester, because i’ve only been there for my open day and interview, and didn’t really have a lot of time to check out the city.

I come from Bristol so I’m used to a pretty good choice of nights out etc., can i expect the same for Manchester?

Are there any dodgy areas that I should definitely avoid going through or be cautious in?

How efficient is public transport generally?

Any other tips, recommendations or places to avoid would also be appreciated :smile:
Original post by ryanlewis279
I’m starting my studies at Futureworks in Salford/ Manchester in Sept 2021, and I was wondering some things about student life in Manchester, because i’ve only been there for my open day and interview, and didn’t really have a lot of time to check out the city.

I come from Bristol so I’m used to a pretty good choice of nights out etc., can i expect the same for Manchester?

Are there any dodgy areas that I should definitely avoid going through or be cautious in?

How efficient is public transport generally?

Any other tips, recommendations or places to avoid would also be appreciated :smile:

I did my undergraduate in Manchester and enjoyed it. There's plenty going on.

Public transport is very good - if you live in the student areas (Fallowfield, Withingon) buses are very frequent and choice of providers. There is a good tram network too though never actually went on one myself!

Most students live to the south of the city centre - around Fallowfield. There are loads of stories about student houses getting burgled, but I never experienced an hassle and don't know anyone who did. Usual common sense applies: lock your doors and don't leave the house empty and windows open. Withington borders Fallowfield and is quite studenty but I found it a bit sketchy and didn't feel that comfortable walking around at night.

Depending on your budget, and if you are happy to be slightly further out, Chorlton is worth a look and also Didsbury; restaurants and bars and still very good for public transport but accommodation costs are higher.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
I did the BSc Hons in Game Art at Futureworks.
Manchester is a vibrant city. Stay out of Moss Side and Levenshulme at night if you can avoid it. Chorlton is a good artsy area for students and has a lot of up and coming young people living there.
The Northern Quarter of Manchester city proper is my favourite place to go there, plenty of interesting, bespoke cafés and specialty interest shops. Affleck's Palace is of particular note, full of very quirky installations that rotate often.
Fred's on Tibs Street is a very nice jazz bar with excellent pizza. Students from my year would go there sometimes.
Public Transport is a joke, be prepared and get to your stops early -- It really depends on what area of the city you're going from how long it will take.

I lived in Manchester for around 7 years. I can help advise route finding. :smile:

Good luck in your studies.
Recommend any particular accommodation around future works?
Original post by joe_newton
Recommend any particular accommodation around future works?

To be honest you're going to struggle to find accommodation near FutureWorks proper; It's right smack in the middle of the city centre and places very near to it will command rents that a student isn't likely able to afford.
Affordable areas I can think of include Eccles and Salford. Both of these areas are kind of salt-of-the-earth, but not nearly as bad as Levenshulme which is also affordable but dangerous in my opinion.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending