How much do subject league tables matter?

Watch
mat325h
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi all,

Just a quick question before I firm my uni choices. How much do the tables for subjects really matter? I was planning on firming Cardiff for Biochem but looking at the tables recently, it seems to have fallen down the last couple of years and now I'm put off going there.

Am I just being silly or is this a sign that the course/department are going downhill?

Thanks
joerickard
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey! I definitely think they matter somewhat, but they aren't everything. If you think Cardiff is 100% the place for you it might still be a good decision, but it honestly depends what your other options are. I got an unconditional from Cardiff this year for psychology and didn't accept because I was accepted to Swansea and Nottingham Trent, both of which are just better academic institutions. But also, I know I'll be happy in Swansea when I go, so choosing the right location is really important too. If you can go for somewhere that is relatively high on the league tables, that's great, but don't do it at the expense of living somewhere you don't really like. Good luck
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
The league tables are more useful if you can see the breakdown of how they rank the universities and what stats have actually fallen, and then try and find out why - eg student satisfaction may have fallen if the course was expanded to take more students - so that you can factor that into your decision, rather than as absolute values, imo. If you like the course at Cardiff and the campus and atmosphere, so it’s right for you, go for it
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by mat325h)
Hi all,

Just a quick question before I firm my uni choices. How much do the tables for subjects really matter? I was planning on firming Cardiff for Biochem but looking at the tables recently, it seems to have fallen down the last couple of years and now I'm put off going there.

Am I just being silly or is this a sign that the course/department are going downhill?

Thanks
Have a look at the breakdown of information for your specific course on The discover uni Website. It will show which areas of student satisfaction the course is strong or weak on as well as detailed employment stats (including the types of jobs graduates do). And it is just for biochem not for all biology courses combined (which the league tables look at)
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I really dont trust subject tables. The numbers involved are very small and a few disgruntled students and have a disproportionate effect on where universities end up. On a personal level I would be very reluctant to rely upon them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (727)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (921)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (408)
18.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.42%

Watched Threads