Layla134
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey

I have recently been looking into engineering at uni, but having taken a levels chemistry, biology, art and welsh bacc would want to do a foundation year first.

Just wondering how hard the maths and physics is compared to GCSE. I had A in both physics and maths then, i now regret not taking maths instead of chem but am worried i might not keep up in a foundation year at uni.

Any advice on how hard it is, work experiance ideas or personal experiances etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Also how hard is the maths involved in the actual job after uni?? ( i was thinking aboit going onto civil engineering )

Im in year 12 and have always thought i would end up in a career in healthcare and have always done work experiance and research surrounding that but now after looking into engineering i think it might be more for me.

Thanks
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you’ll be fine, they wouldn’t have given you an offer if they didn’t think you were capable.

I didn’t do a foundation year, but I would assume you would learn calculus, linear algebra intro, trig identities, logs.

The maths will be a step up, but foundation year courses are designed to bridge the maths & physics gap from GCSE to degree so with an A at GCSE you should be fine as you have a solid foundation to build from.
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Layla134)
Hey

I have recently been looking into engineering at uni, but having taken a levels chemistry, biology, art and welsh bacc would want to do a foundation year first.

Just wondering how hard the maths and physics is compared to GCSE. I had A in both physics and maths then, i now regret not taking maths instead of chem but am worried i might not keep up in a foundation year at uni.

Any advice on how hard it is, work experiance ideas or personal experiances etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Also how hard is the maths involved in the actual job after uni?? ( i was thinking aboit going onto civil engineering )

Im in year 12 and have always thought i would end up in a career in healthcare and have always done work experiance and research surrounding that but now after looking into engineering i think it might be more for me.

Thanks
Hi,

I went through one a long time ago now (in 2013, how time flies aye?) and it was honestly a good time. It was very different to A-levels as it solely focused on knowledge required for engineering. If you learn A-level maths in your spare time (particularly the core modules) then you will find the maths easy to grasp in the foundation year. The level of mathematics does increase though once you get into 2nd year and beyond so my advice would be make sure you're somewhat comfortable with mathematics (algebra, complex numbers, calculus etc.) and you'll be fine.

Re: work experience - It's not needed really so I wouldn't stress over that.

Re: how hard is the maths involved in the actual job - It depends on your job and what kind of engineer you become. For example, I'm a Naval Architect myself so my job is quite technical however most of the maths you'll deal with is fairly simple stuff (like calculating angles/radians etc.) because you'll have software's that will do all the complex stuff for you. I work with some structural engineers too and they often deal with a lot of engineering drawings and do things like bending moment calcs etc.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by trapking; 1 year ago
Layla134
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you so much thats very reassuring
Last edited by Layla134; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (30)
28.85%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.62%
No I am happy with my choice (58)
55.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
5.77%

Watched Threads