MR.McFlurry
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello, recently I was told what I am eligible to study for a-level and am not sure what to take as my third option. As it stands I am definitely taking biology and chemistry for a-level but my third option is between maths A-level or business a-level. Some people have told me that maths would be useful for chemistry but I thought it would be more useful for physics honestly. Grades wise for them I have gotten a level 9 in business overall (In mocks) and In maths I started getting around a level 6 in year 10 but in my last mock I got around a grade 8.I am stuck between these two options so any advice would be great. Many thanks
JB05113059
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I would say work hard on Maths A Level and do it instead of Business because:
Good universities see Business as a soft/easy subject and so it less alot less respected than Maths- more likely to get offers with a good grade in Maths A Level
And, Maths will seriously help with both Biology and Chemistry so I am told
JB05113059
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Also you have to enjoy your A Levels because the work is too hard, unlike at GCSE, for you not to revise hard and if you don't enjoy a subject that much that level of revision becomes difficult believe me because I hated one of my 3 A Levels
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
For a chemistry degree, maths might be a decent one to take.

But if you mean just helping you with chemistry A-level - every A-level is independent (except further maths assuming maths content) and doesn't assume knowledge from any other. My understanding is that chemistry's mathematical content is mostly plugging into formulas and using logarithms, similar to physics. The maths you cover in physics or chemistry (though I can only conclusively speak about the former since I didn't take chemistry) is pretty basic compared to that covered in A-level. If you're confident with GCSE maths, you'll be fine with the maths in A-level sciences.

You've already got two solid A-levels that'll give you a fair amount of options so it'd be fine to pick business if you prefer it.
Last edited by _gcx; 4 months ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It depends on what you want to do in future.

If you went on to a degree in chemistry, then A-level Maths would be very useful (and you will probably cover at least some of that content in such a degree if you haven't already). For the biosciences it is less directly important but it should be noted that in general any scientific degree, and indeed all science beyond degree level, is going to be something of a mathematical endeavour, as mathematics is the language of the natural sciences. That shouldn't necessarily put you off but if you strongly dislike maths you may want to evaluate why it is you don't like maths but do like science, and whether you can reconcile those two things.

For something like medicine though, they don't care at all what your third subject is provided you get an A or A* in it. I still think the above applies but, since the first and possibly greatest barrier to entry in medicine is getting and then achieving an offer for the subject, you may as well focus on just taking the subject(s) you need to while otherwise maximising the odds of you getting AAA or above.

In any other subject it won't matter if A-level Maths isn't specifically required (as it is for, e.g. most economics degrees). For something like anthropology or politics they won't care whether you did maths or business at A-level.
MR.McFlurry
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Thank you all for the advice. I think I am going to go with maths, as much as I like business, I think it will be more beneficial with the sciences later on down the line. Thanks again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (54)
15.47%
I'm not sure (8)
2.29%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (122)
34.96%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.72%
I'm not a current university student (159)
45.56%

Watched Threads