The Student Room Group

How are you celebrating Pride this year? 🌈

June is Pride month for the LGBTQ+ community and allies! :pride:

Although this year celebrations are likely to be virtual or in small, socially distanced, groups - we can continue to celebrate the progress that has been made but also the progress that needs to continue!

How are you celebrating pride this year? Whether it be on your own, on a video call, or in a socially distanced gathering?

How did you plan or celebrating pride before lock down happened? Perhaps these plans can be postponed until next year?

Have you been to many pride events before? What are your experiences of them?

Let us know your plans below :biggrin:

Check out our hub thread for Pride month on TSR!

Please note, any discriminatory posts are not allowed and will be removed and carded :fyi:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I never really planned to celebrate it before lockdown because i travel over summer and wouldn't be around for it and i don't know what to do know either. there is a lot of stuff going on right now, in the world and just life so it will probably take the back burner this year.
Can't believe its already June, I hope everyone who is celebrating pride month has a good time and has a good experience
Original post by ClaraFangirl
I never really planned to celebrate it before lockdown because i travel over summer and wouldn't be around for it and i don't know what to do know either. there is a lot of stuff going on right now, in the world and just life so it will probably take the back burner this year.
Can't believe its already June, I hope everyone who is celebrating pride month has a good time and has a good experience

Aww where were you meant to be travelling to?

I agree there is a lot going on, but whilst members of the LGBTQ+ community around the world are still being killed for who they love, it's still very important to raise awareness and also celebrate the progress that has been made :yep:

How would you celebrate it, if you could? :smile:

Happy Pride :pride:
(edited 3 years ago)
I think I'll redesign my town on animal crossing for a week and have days for people to visit and celebrate and try and hide some prizes. This will be open to all.

For my close friends I think we will just get drunk and zoom call and do something like karaoke or watch a movie.
Original post by physicsamor
I think I'll redesign my town on animal crossing for a week and have days for people to visit and celebrate and try and hide some prizes. This will be open to all.

For my close friends I think we will just get drunk and zoom call and do something like karaoke or watch a movie.

I LOVE that idea! I also play animal crossing :tongue: would you post some photos in this thread of how you redesign your town? :puppyeyes: I need some inspiration!

Haha getting drunk on zoom sounds great! (for those 18+!)
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I LOVE that idea! I also play animal crossing :tongue: would you post some photos in this thread of how you redesign your town? :puppyeyes: I need some inspiration!

Haha getting drunk on zoom sounds great! (for those 18+!)

When I have come up with some ideas I shall!!
Original post by physicsamor
When I have come up with some ideas I shall!!

Awesome! Also, if you wanted a rainbow picture for TSR, you can post in here (if you hadn't already seen) https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6524122
I thinking about going to my first Pride event this year, but since lockdown happened I guess I'll just be celebrating here on TSR, and within other online communities instead.

June is Pride month for the LGBTQ+ community and allies! :pride:

Although this year celebrations are likely to be virtual or in small, socially distanced, groups - we can continue to celebrate the progress that has been made but also the progress that needs to continue!

How are you celebrating pride this year? Whether it be on your own, on a video call, or in a socially distanced gathering?

How did you plan or celebrating pride before lock down happened? Perhaps these plans can be postponed until next year?

Have you been to many pride events before? What are your experiences of them?

Let us know your plans below :biggrin:

Check out our hub thread for Pride month on TSR!

Please note, any discriminatory posts are not allowed and will be removed and carded :fyi:

I'm a bit gutted, it was going to be my first year going to Pride! My friends and I are going to do a socially distanced park meetup at some point, though, with biodegradable glitter :yep: I'm also planning on finally getting myself some natty pronoun badges!

I'd also like to donate to a queer charity for Pride, if anyone would like to suggest one that's close to their heart? At the moment I'm thinking Stonewall and/or Terrence Higgins, but I'm sure there are smaller ones that are doing excellent work too and I'd like to hear about them!
I'm so sad its cancelled :cry: would have been my 4th year going :sad:
Am celebrating by trying to make TSR as colourful as possible :biggrin:
Original post by CatusStarbright
I thinking about going to my first Pride event this year, but since lockdown happened I guess I'll just be celebrating here on TSR, and within other online communities instead.

Well that's great since we have lots of great threads planned! I can't wait until Pride next year :smile: Last year was good fun :biggrin:
Original post by becausethenight
I'm a bit gutted, it was going to be my first year going to Pride! My friends and I are going to do a socially distanced park meetup at some point, though, with biodegradable glitter :yep: I'm also planning on finally getting myself some natty pronoun badges!

I'd also like to donate to a queer charity for Pride, if anyone would like to suggest one that's close to their heart? At the moment I'm thinking Stonewall and/or Terrence Higgins, but I'm sure there are smaller ones that are doing excellent work too and I'd like to hear about them!

Sounds fab! :biggrin: It might be worth looking at any local charities, but I know there's a few in Brighton e.g. Switchboard - I don't live in Brighton but the TSR offices are there and they've done some work with local LGBTQ+ Brighton charities :yep:
Original post by CoolCavy

It'll be next year before we know it and hopefully will be able to go again! :yep:

But yeah, celebrating on TSR is great fun - you're doing a fab job of making it colourful :biggrin:
Reply 13
Do you believe that the NHS/Gov stole 'your' flag? Genuine question.
Original post by Nuttyy
Do you believe that the NHS/Gov stole 'your' flag? Genuine question.

Hey it's best that we don't get in a discussion or debate too much here in Chat (as discussion and debate about these things are best placed in the Debate and Current Affairs section) - but in some ways yes.

Obviously anyone can use the rainbow colours, but the pride flag is specifically the 6 colours (not 7 or other versions), and this has been used for other purposes which kind of takes away the meaning from the LGBTQ+ community. It's just interesting that people say 'don't rub it in our faces' and yet claim to not be homophobic but then suddenly rainbow flags are okay for other reasons. I have to admit, I drew and have up a rainbow sign for the NHS in my window, but I used 7 colours, not 6. It's sad that companies have 'repurposed' their merch/stock for the NHS and keyworkers and making profits from that now... a lot clearly never cared about the LGBTQ+ community and only pretended to for profit. Just my thoughts on the matter anyway :tongue:
Original post by CoolCavy

You've made it super colourful already - I can see so many pride icons :biggrin:
Sounds fab! :biggrin: It might be worth looking at any local charities, but I know there's a few in Brighton e.g. Switchboard - I don't live in Brighton but the TSR offices are there and they've done some work with local LGBTQ+ Brighton charities :yep:

Ooh good shout - I'll have a look (my local area is London so I expect there's quite a lot lol) and I'll check out Switchboard :smile:
I was going to visit my girlfriend, who is studying abroad, and celebrate with her there, but the Coronavirus has put a stopper in those and many other plans, so I'll probably just rainbow-up all my online avatars and make some Pride cupcakes. :tongue:
Reply 17
Hey it's best that we don't get in a discussion or debate too much here in Chat (as discussion and debate about these things are best placed in the Debate and Current Affairs section) - but in some ways yes.

Obviously anyone can use the rainbow colours, but the pride flag is specifically the 6 colours (not 7 or other versions), and this has been used for other purposes which kind of takes away the meaning from the LGBTQ+ community. It's just interesting that people say 'don't rub it in our faces' and yet claim to not be homophobic but then suddenly rainbow flags are okay for other reasons. I have to admit, I drew and have up a rainbow sign for the NHS in my window, but I used 7 colours, not 6. It's sad that companies have 'repurposed' their merch/stock for the NHS and keyworkers and making profits from that now... a lot clearly never cared about the LGBTQ+ community and only pretended to for profit. Just my thoughts on the matter anyway :tongue:

Interesting perspective. I disagree, but not gonna debate it after this post lol. I've always thought that the idea of colours put together (rainbow) was a sign of hope, first depicted in the Bible (some say even before) during the story of Noahs ark. For someone to 'claim' and defend the flag as theirs, or even colours put together is ignorant imo. Anyway, that's my perspective.
Original post by Nuttyy
Interesting perspective. I disagree, but not gonna debate it after this post lol. I've always thought that the idea of colours put together (rainbow) was a sign of hope, first depicted in the Bible (some say even before) during the story of Noahs ark. For someone to 'claim' and defend the flag as theirs, or even colours put together is ignorant imo. Anyway, that's my perspective.

Yep that's why we wouldn't say all rainbows... mainly just the flags with the 6 colours. Like how companies can copyright logos which are just a mixture of shapes... they didn't actually create the shapes (or often the word(s) ) initially. Remember that not everyone believes in or follows the bible, so that wouldn't relate to them. Rainbows have been around a long time before the bible :smile:
I'm really sad that pride is cancelled because it would have been both my first pride and the first pride after marriage equality was legalised over here (it would be in August anyway so there might be might be some kind of event then). Currently I'm celebrating pride by watching terrible lesbian movies and I'm probably going to watch Dublin's virtual pride event when it's on

Quick Reply

Latest