BeADan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 51 years ago
Hi all, I'm 27 and about to embark on an engineering degree with Open University. I left school after year 11 without taking A-levels.
Nothing prevented me taking them, I just didn't know what I wanted to pursue and wanted to get out into the real world and into work.

I've self-taught myself programming and am employed part-time in this field.

Open University have a little test you can work through to make sure you're ready to study Engineering with them (as they handily have no formal entry requirements). I achieved over 90% in half the recommended time one evening, without trying too hard, so I think I'm intellectually ready.

I can see a weak spot though. My not taking A-level maths specifically, means I'm missing out on skills that would be very useful for the degree.

My degree is due to start in October. So I have 3 months to prepare. Which would you recommend are the most useful A-level maths modules I can study online in preparation for the degree. I'm looking at examsolutions.net as my study guide.

Thanks in advance.

tl;dr
Which A-level maths modules should I study to prepare for Electronics Engineering, with 3 months to do it?
161BMW
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any A Level Maths textbook will do new or old. You can easily teach it yourself.

For example.
MEI A Level Mathematics Year 1 (AS) 4th Edition https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/14718529..._lFn1EbJEDX3BW

MEI A Level Mathematics Year 2 4th Edition (A Level Mathemtaics) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/14718529..._OGn1EbT1HGMMF

The main thing you want to concentrate is
1. Pure Mathematics such as calculus, vectors.
2. Mechanics.

Statistics if you want you can do but is less important I think.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BeADan)
Hi all, I'm 27 and about to embark on an engineering degree with Open University. I left school after year 11 without taking A-levels.
Nothing prevented me taking them, I just didn't know what I wanted to pursue and wanted to get out into the real world and into work.

I've self-taught myself programming and am employed part-time in this field.

Open University have a little test you can work through to make sure you're ready to study Engineering with them (as they handily have no formal entry requirements). I achieved over 90% in half the recommended time one evening, without trying too hard, so I think I'm intellectually ready.

I can see a weak spot though. My not taking A-level maths specifically, means I'm missing out on skills that would be very useful for the degree.

My degree is due to start in October. So I have 3 months to prepare. Which would you recommend are the most useful A-level maths modules I can study online in preparation for the degree. I'm looking at examsolutions.net as my study guide.

Thanks in advance.

tl;dr
Which A-level maths modules should I study to prepare for Electronics Engineering, with 3 months to do it?
Just pick an A-level maths syllabus and get cracking.

Calculus is far and away the most important stuff.
Algebra as well
Trig identities
Logs
mechanics
linear algebra would be a handy extra
username5225164
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Trigonometry, algebra (logarithms etc too), calculus (differential and integral), analytic geometry

google 'Mathematics for Electrical Engineering and Computing' and go to the science direct link, there's a book dated back to 2003 but some good stuff on there.
BeADan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks for your help all 3 of you!

That's useful info. I'll mark these subjects as top priority.
Now to choose a syllabus...
Last edited by BeADan; 1 year ago
scroggie48
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you going to do the BSc in engineering or a computer science based BSc degree?

If you are going to do the BSc in engineering then I can suggest some options for you.

Steve (BSc (physics) - Open University)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (23)
13.22%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.9%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.17%
I need help with my personal statement (73)
41.95%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (40)
22.99%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.72%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
8.05%

Watched Threads