Dissertation Help: Initial Summer Research

Watch
ollierosengarten
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi guys. After much debate, I have decided to choose a dissertation topic that I have written myself. I initially wanted to do a much narrower topic but was told by my dissertation supervisor that it would be difficult to find enough data and information online that hasn't been written by anybody else to use in my work. Therefore I have decided to look at a much broader topic; sustainable construction in developing countries. I was wondering if anybody can help me to find locations to research this topic, and what sort of structure my summer term/holiday research should take? I'm aware that I don't need to come up with a name or even a title until September-but I feel the broadness of this task has led me to feel quite overwhelmed and I'm not sure where I should be beginning; especially as I cannot use books in the library; or any other form of research bar the Internet! (covid reasons)... any help or advice people have with regards to beginning dissertation research would be very helpful! Thanks x
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ollierosengarten)
Hi guys. After much debate, I have decided to choose a dissertation topic that I have written myself. I initially wanted to do a much narrower topic but was told by my dissertation supervisor that it would be difficult to find enough data and information online that hasn't been written by anybody else to use in my work. Therefore I have decided to look at a much broader topic; sustainable construction in developing countries. I was wondering if anybody can help me to find locations to research this topic, and what sort of structure my summer term/holiday research should take? I'm aware that I don't need to come up with a name or even a title until September-but I feel the broadness of this task has led me to feel quite overwhelmed and I'm not sure where I should be beginning; especially as I cannot use books in the library; or any other form of research bar the Internet! (covid reasons)... any help or advice people have with regards to beginning dissertation research would be very helpful! Thanks x
Hey,

Try creating a mind map of different key words that come to mind when you think of sustainable construction then reading and research about them. From there you might come across case studies which may reveal interesting locations to research. Do you have access to yours University's online Library as that would be a good place to search being that you don't have access to physical books.
If you are looking at sustainable construction as methods of construction that are environmentally responsible, You could try looking into developing countries that are known for their Vernacular Architecture/buildings. Most vernacular Architecture uses materials that are locally sourced, that are then tailored to respond to the particular locality therefore relatively energy efficient and sustainable.

Hope this helps.
Doreen-maria- Official Student Rep 😀
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.06%
No - I have already returned home (21)
13.04%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (35)
21.74%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.7%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.47%

Watched Threads