Jezzy557
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm starting online Alevels in September (started at college last year but had to drop out for health issues, I'm restarting alltogether this September) I really want to do physics but I heard you have to take alevel maths alongside it to do well in physics, I'm not that great at maths I got a 5/6 in GCSE, I purchased an 'Essential maths for physics Alevel book' so do you think if I went over everything in that book then I wouldn't need to take Alevel maths? And would I understand physics at university without Alevel maths? I'm not just meaning entry requirements because I'm assuming the maths in uni level physics will be harder..pls let me know your thoughts )
Madinaahmed08
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya, I think A level maths is essential to do physics at uni because I wanted to do physics A level but I was advised to do A level maths along side it, however I didn't have the grades to do a level maths. I got a 5. Also if you do a level physics you might not understand some of the content because a level maths teaches some stuff that you may be expected to know in a level phyiscs. Sorry I don't know that much but I did explore my optjons 2 years ago when starting college. I think it would be best to ask the tutor who's teaching a level physics.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You dont need A level maths to do well in A level physics as you can teach yourself the mechanics part yourself. However, I think you would find it hard to find a physics course that doesnt require A level maths.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As someone who's doing a physics degree now: physics at uni is more like a continuation of A-level maths and further maths than it is a continuation of A-level physics. So you have to get used to doing maths.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jezzy557)
Hi, I'm starting online Alevels in September (started at college last year but had to drop out for health issues, I'm restarting alltogether this September) I really want to do physics but I heard you have to take alevel maths alongside it to do well in physics, I'm not that great at maths I got a 5/6 in GCSE, I purchased an 'Essential maths for physics Alevel book' so do you think if I went over everything in that book then I wouldn't need to take Alevel maths? And would I understand physics at university without Alevel maths? I'm not just meaning entry requirements because I'm assuming the maths in uni level physics will be harder..pls let me know your thoughts )
you realise people who get A* in Maths and A* in Further maths often struggle with Physics degrees?
DarkLink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, I thought that I would add my two cents as someone who is actually taking physics without having done maths
it is possible! I’m currently in an engineering and science foundation year at UON and will next year go onto the Physics course.
They go through the maths content quite fast but in the open day they actually told us that the people who did the foundation got on much better next year than the majority (probably because you don’t have that large chunk of time off before starting the course as you would with alevels)
The maths we do is the full Alevel plus some further maths that is relevant
I’m so glad I decided to do this because maths is way less daunting when it’s the only thing i’m focussing on for a year!
lucydales
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
actually physics has so many a level maths concepts but used in real life application, so knowing A level maths will enhance your performance in Physics, since both are related to each other ,if you practice a bit A level maths and knew the important basics, it will be guaranteed that you will ace a level physics with some practice on real life applications(physics)
OneInABillion4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm self-studying Physics degree now. I scheduled to finish it in few months time.

Having a "mathy" brain is absolutely essential. I highly advice you to take Maths in Alevels. Something has to be a base minimum for your math knowledge, and it's definitely not O-levels.

I can't imagine one doing complex derivatives, integrals, complex analysis, 3d vectors without having Alevel maths. Because if one could, he wouldn't have decided against taking math in the first place. It's such a fundamental subject.

You are still young. I'm sure you'll find new priorities, inspiration and dreams. Even in that context, having math under your belt will be practical and safer to say the least.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads