JSaintUK
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi guys, I am currently in my second year at university in the UK. I have been thinking about applying to do a masters in north America and was wondering if there was anyone who had done the same. Im worried that the finances part of it are going to be too much because in the Uk my loan covers tuition and a chunk of my maintenance. I know about scholarships but is there any guarantee you would get one seeing as you have to apply to unis first (which without a scholarship i couldn't afford) and how likely is it it would cover most of the costs.
jger_rams2019
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by JSaintUK)
Hi guys, I am currently in my second year at university in the UK. I have been thinking about applying to do a masters in north America and was wondering if there was anyone who had done the same. Im worried that the finances part of it are going to be too much because in the Uk my loan covers tuition and a chunk of my maintenance. I know about scholarships but is there any guarantee you would get one seeing as you have to apply to unis first (which without a scholarship i couldn't afford) and how likely is it it would cover most of the costs.
Hi there,

There is no doubt that the U.S. universities are expensive, but there is a longer tradition of providing scholarships here since it tends to cost more money than our global counterparts. I would first suggest looking into the various Fulbright scholarships, as applying for those could give you the peace of mind of having scholarships before leaving the UK.

http://www.fulbright.org.uk/going-to...ards-available

There is no guarantee of scholarships in the U.S., but for postgraduate programs scholarships and grants do tend to cover a majority of the expenses if you can get one. You will know before leaving the UK if you were selected for financial aid by whatever school accepted you, so you don't have to commit to going to the program if they don't provide you enough funding. I would encourage you to apply to schools that offer a higher proportion of international aid, and the amount of money you may receive as an international student is also affected by your department (psychology versus engineering for example). The list below shows the best schools for international applicants based on things like funding and cultural support.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ional-students

Keep in mind though that the U.S. really isn't cheap, and there is a lot of domestic and international competition for funding. Many U.S. students take out government or private loans for education because scholarships aren't enough to cover the cost of the full programs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (188)
29.24%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.49%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.02%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.93%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.91%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.91%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.11%

Watched Threads