Casiopea
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi!

I already have an unconditional offer from Sussex for their Environment, Development and Policy MA, but since I will have to postpone my entry to 2021, I have some extra time to think about the particular programme I want.

I have been seriously thinking about applying to Development Management in LSE, and to Development Administration and Planning in UCL. I am very interested in the practice and I have some background in management, so those seem ideal.

But I don't really know how to compare this programmes and I could use some insight from other people.

First, I am aware that Sussex is the best in the world for development, and that should make me seriously consider it. But I wonder about the actual employability of a Sussex graduate vs a UCL or LSE graduate. I have a hypothesis: people will rather hire someone from a highly renowned institution, than from a common institution. I doubt employers like international institutions check out the World QS (By Area) Rankings. Instead, everyone knows that UCL and LSE are. Right?

I don't know which would be a better option considering employability and how much it could be a career booster.

I love how UCL's Programme (which is not in the QS TOP 50) is designed, but the fact that it isn't well ranked makes me hesitate. Same for LSE. And of course, Sussex.

Am I wrong to see things this way? Is being in the best programme in the world actually good enough? Or does it make sense to go for LSE/UCL?

Also, what are some other differences between these that I should consider? (Not taking money into account, I am aware London is much pricier than Brighton, and also LSE/UCL have higher tuitions).

As for my career goals, I aspire to enter a PhD after finishing my masters, and then working in international institutions (in aid, development and/or international policy).

Thanks a lot for your time!
Caius Filimon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Casiopea)
Hi!

I already have an unconditional offer from Sussex for their Environment, Development and Policy MA, but since I will have to postpone my entry to 2021, I have some extra time to think about the particular programme I want.

I have been seriously thinking about applying to Development Management in LSE, and to Development Administration and Planning in UCL. I am very interested in the practice and I have some background in management, so those seem ideal.

But I don't really know how to compare this programmes and I could use some insight from other people.

First, I am aware that Sussex is the best in the world for development, and that should make me seriously consider it. But I wonder about the actual employability of a Sussex graduate vs a UCL or LSE graduate. I have a hypothesis: people will rather hire someone from a highly renowned institution, than from a common institution. I doubt employers like international institutions check out the World QS (By Area) Rankings. Instead, everyone knows that UCL and LSE are. Right?

I don't know which would be a better option considering employability and how much it could be a career booster.

I love how UCL's Programme (which is not in the QS TOP 50) is designed, but the fact that it isn't well ranked makes me hesitate. Same for LSE. And of course, Sussex.

Am I wrong to see things this way? Is being in the best programme in the world actually good enough? Or does it make sense to go for LSE/UCL?

Also, what are some other differences between these that I should consider? (Not taking money into account, I am aware London is much pricier than Brighton, and also LSE/UCL have higher tuitions).

As for my career goals, I aspire to enter a PhD after finishing my masters, and then working in international institutions (in aid, development and/or international policy).

Thanks a lot for your time!
While I do not have any insider HR knowledge, I believe that as long as you advertise Sussex as being literally number one on the globe, it should be more than enough.

In that case, you might perhaps pigeon hole yourself into development studies. A more widely-renowned university might just make you more employable if you were to branch out of the field.

In other words, if you go for something development studies-related as your job, they would be a lousy HR department to not know of Sussex. If they don't know of it, you can advertise it in the interview or CV. But for general employment, it might be better to go for highly prestigious unis.

Perhaps also to be considered would be the much higher living costs of London vs Brighton. Weather, uni societies, industry links, etc, ought to be considered.

Industry links especially. Number 1 unis might not have the best job opportunities. They are number 1 for focusing on research, not so much employment (from my knowledge).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads