The Student Room Group

What A levels to take for Architecture and corresponding schools

Hey guys! I am currently in a pretty good UK girls school and I am going onto Year 11 this coming Summer. I am a full boarder and I was wondering if there is anyone here who could give advice on what I should take for my A levels. So far I have been thinking of Art, Maths and Physics and I would prefer to take a fourth subject. I am porbably going to study Architecture in uni so any thoughts on this fourth subject? I am torn between DT and Further Maths. I have no previous experience in DT (I didn't take this at GCSE) and I do FSMQ Maths and higher GCSE Maths. I do pretty well in Maths and FSMQ and I enjoy doing Maths like those in UKMT and Kangaroo. I heard that Further Maths is extremely difficult and demanding so I am not sure I could balance my other three subjects (especially Art!) with FM.
Also any ideas on what schools offer DT at A levels?
Thank you so so much. I have been in despair with this problem.
Original post by lydlydlyd
Hey guys! I am currently in a pretty good UK girls school and I am going onto Year 11 this coming Summer. I am a full boarder and I was wondering if there is anyone here who could give advice on what I should take for my A levels. So far I have been thinking of Art, Maths and Physics and I would prefer to take a fourth subject. I am porbably going to study Architecture in uni so any thoughts on this fourth subject? I am torn between DT and Further Maths. I have no previous experience in DT (I didn't take this at GCSE) and I do FSMQ Maths and higher GCSE Maths. I do pretty well in Maths and FSMQ and I enjoy doing Maths like those in UKMT and Kangaroo. I heard that Further Maths is extremely difficult and demanding so I am not sure I could balance my other three subjects (especially Art!) with FM.
Also any ideas on what schools offer DT at A levels?
Thank you so so much. I have been in despair with this problem.

Further maths is hard, but some people do just have a natural ability at maths (which it sounds like you do from doing well in FSMQ and the UKMT) so don't find it any harder than other a-levels.

The big difference between further maths and dt is that further maths will be entirely assessed by exams whereas dt will mostly be coursework, so think about which you'd rather do.
Will you be taking all the courses to A2 level or are you planning on dropping one?

Quick Reply

Latest