jessicaoxxi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello everyone, my name is Jessica and I’m currently in year 12 studying Btec level 3 applied science. I don’t know anyone studying the same course as me who is looking into studying med with foundation year. I thought it would be a good idea for us to discuss and share our thoughts.
Emmanuel Akunda
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hello
jessicaoxxi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Emmanuel Akunda)
hello
Hello, are you planning on applying to med with foundation year courses this year ?
g_100_b
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Put your subjects studied and predicted grades
qasimjalil423
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hello everyone, I have a query about foundation year medicine. I am thinking to apply for foundation year medicine at any university this year. I am studying chemistry, biology, physics, and Alevel Urdu. I have predicted ABB in the science subject and an A* in language. also, I am studying in a school that has very poor A level results and is listed on the list of schools that is deprived nationally. could you help me with this??

I would be very glad.
jessicaoxxi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by qasimjalil423)
hello everyone, I have a query about foundation year medicine. I am thinking to apply for foundation year medicine at any university this year. I am studying chemistry, biology, physics, and Alevel Urdu. I have predicted ABB in the science subject and an A* in language. also, I am studying in a school that has very poor A level results and is listed on the list of schools that is deprived nationally. could you help me with this??

I would be very glad.
Check on the university websites whether you meet the contextual entry requirements aswell as the academic requirements.
There are quite a few unis that do medicine with foundation year
dontevenknow2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
After the first year, year 0 , do you need to get AAA anways? or do you just have to pass the year? how does it work
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dontevenknow2)
After the first year, year 0 , do you need to get AAA anways? or do you just have to pass the year? how does it work
You only need to get in and the university will set their own assessment. I assume you are asking about the official Medicine with a Foundation Year or Medicine with a Gateway Year courses.

Please note that these courses are not open access, and you will need to fit certain criteria to be considered. All med schools have different criteria (e.g. wrong A-levels, live in a certain area etc.) so you should do some research before applying.
dontevenknow2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
You only need to get in and the university will set their own assessment. I assume you are asking about the official Medicine with a Foundation Year or Medicine with a Gateway Year courses.

Please note that these courses are not open access, and you will need to fit certain criteria to be considered. All med schools have different criteria (e.g. wrong A-levels, live in a certain area etc.) so you should do some research before applying.
Thanks for your reply, I definitely meet this criteria, however I was told the foundation year is sort of a scam, e,g you will need to get the AAA they ask for if you were just applying for medicine after the end of the year.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for your reply, I definitely meet this criteria, however I was told the foundation year is sort of a scam, e,g you will need to get the AAA they ask for if you were just applying for medicine after the end of the year.
No, it's not a scam and it's run by reputable unis (in fact it's hard to get into any UK med school) assuming it is an actual med school and you're applying through UCAS.

Some med schools have offers as low as grades BBC (e.g. HYMS: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/gateway-year#...ryrequirements). As long as you get in and pass the university's assessments, you will be a doctor in 6 years' time.

Note that these courses are usually more competitive than standard undergrad medicine though.
dontevenknow2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
No, it's not a scam and it's run by reputable unis (in fact it's hard to get into any UK med school) assuming it is an actual med school and you're applying through UCAS.

Some med schools have offers as low as grades BBC (e.g. HYMS: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/gateway-year#...ryrequirements). As long as you get in and pass the university's assessments, you will be a doctor in 6 years' time.

Note that these courses are usually more competitive than standard undergrad medicine though.
In 6 years time you would've completed the degree right? and then the training. How competitive are they? is it a really low chance to get in, I have had a lot of personal issues but I am determined to study medicine,
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In 6 years time you would've completed the degree right?
Yes, in my experience the med schools were quite supportive and they do their best to help you get through the course.

After all, if you are a UK student the government subsidises £163,000 per medical student to make them into a doctor.

and then the training. How competitive are they? is it a really low chance to get in, I have had a lot of personal issues but I am determined to study medicine,
Depends on your specialty and location - e.g. GP in rural Yorkshire isn't competitive at all, but dermatology in London can be very hard to get in.

Read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6026828 for more information about what happens post-grad.
elitest
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mckailer)
Hi there!

Applied: 08/10/2019
ABB (Biology, Chemistry, English Literature)
766B44CCC (Extenuating Circumstances)
2410 Band 2
BMAT: 3.8 3.7 3A

Southampton/ A102
Date: 09/10/2019 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 11/02/2020 | Reply: Interview invite (Turned Down)

FIRM CHOICE
HYMS/ A101 (Next Step York)
Date: 10/10/2019 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 11/11/2019 | Reply: Interview invite
Date: 30/01/2020 | Reply: Offer

INSURANCE CHOICE
Plymouth/ A102
Date: 12/11/2019 | Reply: Interview invite
Date: 04/02/2020 | Reply: Offer

Leeds/ A100 (Access to Leeds)
Date: 17/01/2020 | Reply: (Pre-interview) Rejection

UCLan/ BB96 (Physician Associate)
Date: 08/10/2019 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 25/02/2020 | Reply: Interview invite
Date: 12/05/2020 | Reply: Offer

How about yourself, what are your stats and where are you applying to?
Hey sorry I just saw this post and I know I’m 10 months late lol but can I just ask how we’re you able to write your school as extenuating circumstances?? I have practically the same gcses and all the med applicants I see have majority 8s and 9s. My gcse school is currently under special measures, grade 4 on Ofsted and failed every inspection since😂 also only 22% of my year group got 5 or above in english Lang and/or maths so do you think I’m eligible?? Also who do I speak to to make that change for me, would it have to be teachers at my current school now ?? Thanks!
Mckailer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by elitest)
Hey sorry I just saw this post and I know I’m 10 months late lol but can I just ask how we’re you able to write your school as extenuating circumstances?? I have practically the same gcses and all the med applicants I see have majority 8s and 9s. My gcse school is currently under special measures, grade 4 on Ofsted and failed every inspection since😂 also only 22% of my year group got 5 or above in english Lang and/or maths so do you think I’m eligible?? Also who do I speak to to make that change for me, would it have to be teachers at my current school now ?? Thanks!
Hi there, I can definitely relate to your circumstances, the programme in which I completed my GCSE's on was BAD too, believe it or not, I got the best grades out of my entire division - I think that says enough about the quality of teaching there. However, I also had health issues previous to completing my GCSE's which was the main bit of my extenuating circumstances.

In terms of how I flagged up my extenuating circumstances to universities, I spoke to my College's Careers advisor about it who then put a note on the college system flagging up my extenuating circumstances. I also spoke in length to the tutor who was writing my reference who made sure to go into great detail about it in my school reference. I also very briefly talked about in my PS - however making sure to link it into why I would be a good medical student, i.e. being able to overcome barriers.

I believe that some medical schools have policies where you have to send them an email or fill out a form for extenuating circumstances before a certain deadline. E.g. for Leeds I filled in an Access to Leeds statement where I outlined why I was entitled to be considered under special circumstances.
However, if you're ever in doubt talk to your UCAS advisor about this or even better ring up the university and ask what their policy is.
elitest
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mckailer)
Hi there, I can definitely relate to your circumstances, the programme in which I completed my GCSE's on was BAD too, believe it or not, I got the best grades out of my entire division - I think that says enough about the quality of teaching there. However, I also had health issues previous to completing my GCSE's which was the main bit of my extenuating circumstances.

In terms of how I flagged up my extenuating circumstances to universities, I spoke to my College's Careers advisor about it who then put a note on the college system flagging up my extenuating circumstances. I also spoke in length to the tutor who was writing my reference who made sure to go into great detail about it in my school reference. I also very briefly talked about in my PS - however making sure to link it into why I would be a good medical student, i.e. being able to overcome barriers.

I believe that some medical schools have policies where you have to send them an email or fill out a form for extenuating circumstances before a certain deadline. E.g. for Leeds I filled in an Access to Leeds statement where I outlined why I was entitled to be considered under special circumstances.
However, if you're ever in doubt talk to your UCAS advisor about this or even better ring up the university and ask what their policy is.
Okay thank you so much! I was also in the top 5% of my year group lol. I’ll first speak to my UCAS advisor at my current school and see what they say. I have heard of one other person before who used their school as an extenuating circumstance and they now go to Cambridge but you’re the first person I hear for med!! Do you think I should mention the overcoming barriers and resilience sort of thing in my personal statement ??
Thank you so much for your help btw I appreciate it
Mckailer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Okay thank you so much! I was also in the top 5% of my year group lol. I’ll first speak to my UCAS advisor at my current school and see what they say. I have heard of one other person before who used their school as an extenuating circumstance and they now go to Cambridge but you’re the first person I hear for med!! Do you think I should mention the overcoming barriers and resilience sort of thing in my personal statement ??
Definitely mention the barriers that you have had to overcome to apply for medicine and the resilience that you have in turn gained from it, however, make sure as with anything else in your personal statement, that you link it into how it will make you a good medical student/ future doctor. Reflection, reflection, reflection!
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The school you attend is normally considered a contextual flag, though it does sometimes count for one of the criteria for WP. It is not usually considered an extenuating circumstance, per se, that is usually somthing like ill health, bereavement, having to change schools at a critical time, etc.
Contextual flags do usually result in things like a lower cut off for interview, GCSE grades being enhanced, as do WP flags. Ex Circs can result in this, but unis often say these should have been taken into account by the exam board when you sat your exams, so they have to be significant for them to be taken into account.
Your reference needs to mention your change of schools and the prev schools poor performance (and preferably the potential they can see for your A level results), plus you need to be sure to be clear which school you took your GCSEs at, as many med schools just extract this info from the UCAS form (some applicants do not even realise they have been score as a contextual until they get a lower offer). Oxbridge are very particular about contextualising an applicants results, so somebody doing less well in a poorly performing school may score more than somebody doing better, but from a top performing school
bejie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
would you say that foundation courses for medicine are more competitive than the 5 year course? thanks xoxo
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bejie)
would you say that foundation courses for medicine are more competitive than the 5 year course? thanks xoxo
Definitely.

Basically, anything that's not standard undergrad medicine is more competitive - so that's international students, graduate entry medicine, medicine with a foundation year / gateway year, biomedicine transfer into medicine year 2 etc.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 weeks ago
MinnieKTH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For The University of Manchester, the alternative entry requirements for 6 years Medicine for Pearson BTEC qualifications are different to what I'm studying at college currently, so I wanted to know if Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma is same as Level 3 National Foundation Diploma?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (119)
25.32%
Better than expected (97)
20.64%
Worse than expected (254)
54.04%

Watched Threads