The Student Room Group

Medicine with foundation year 2021 entry

Scroll to see replies

So I’m applying to medicine with foundation courses of BBC or BBB, with ABB predicted grades. If I get like all A’s in my Alevels or A*AA, will I still be accepted into the foundation medicine course or will they not accept me Cos I’ve done better and the course is for lower required grades? Will they transfer me to normal medicine as well?
Also I’m doing the autumn alevel exams and interviews are in Jan but my results will be out by December. Any advice guys?
Thanks in advance!!
Reply 21
sooo i'm currently going into my second year of college and am struggling with my A levels (my predicted is now a BBC).I still want to do medicine (albeit with a foundation/pathway year) but my teachers are suggesting I drop my A levels for BTEC as there are quite a few unis that now accept BTEC applicants for Medicine with foundation year.is it worth it to drop my A levels for BTEC (I would have to stay an extra year and it would realllly limit which unis i could apply to) or should I stick to A level and hope for the best.I got strong GCSE results last year but I've had nothing good this year (I got an E in my last unit tests for bio and chem but our end of y1 exams are in september).has anyone had a similar experience?? I'd love some advice rn :frown: :frown: ;(
Original post by studybuddy1302
So I’m applying to medicine with foundation courses of BBC or BBB, with ABB predicted grades. If I get like all A’s in my Alevels or A*AA, will I still be accepted into the foundation medicine course or will they not accept me Cos I’ve done better and the course is for lower required grades? Will they transfer me to normal medicine as well?
Also I’m doing the autumn alevel exams and interviews are in Jan but my results will be out by December. Any advice guys?
Thanks in advance!!

It honestly depends on why you're doing a foundation course and the uni. Some unis offer it depending on where you live e.g Leicester for East Midlands students, you don't have science A levels or some unis offer it because of the school you went to or simply just your grades. I would recommend looking and even contacting each uni individually https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/foundation-courses/
Original post by Dechante
It honestly depends on why you're doing a foundation course and the uni. Some unis offer it depending on where you live e.g Leicester for East Midlands students, you don't have science A levels or some unis offer it because of the school you went to or simply just your grades. I would recommend looking and even contacting each uni individually https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/foundation-courses/

I am eligible for the courses and meet all the entry criteria. I’m just asking if I do like shockingly amazing in my alevels and get higher than what was expected lyk all three A’s instead of max BBB will they still let me in?
Original post by studybuddy1302
I am eligible for the courses and meet all the entry criteria. I’m just asking if I do like shockingly amazing in my alevels and get higher than what was expected lyk all three A’s instead of max BBB will they still let me in?

As long as you meet your offer you will be accepted onto the course, even if you do achieve 3 A*'s when only BBC was required, however, some universities - if they have space available - may offer to move you to the five year medicine course instead.

The reason why med schools have max predicted grades is because foundation year courses are limited to students who previously would have not been able to study medicine, therefore if you are predicted 3 A's, to medical schools, you do have plenty of opportunites to study medicne and therefore are not eligible for gateway/foundation year programmes.
With a degree like medicine. do you have to be super super bloody academic or can you learn the content throughout the degree?
Original post by Guardians0111
With a degree like medicine. do you have to be super super bloody academic or can you learn the content throughout the degree?

I don't really understand the question. You learn as you go along. You don't have to be a genius but you need to be intelligent and you need to work hard.
Original post by Democracy
I don't really understand the question. You learn as you go along. You don't have to be a genius but you need to be intelligent and you need to work hard.

Like do I need to very academic in my sciences
Would I be able to get into foundation year medicine with a grade 4 in English? I have recently received my a level results which I got 3 B’s in maths, biology and chemistry. And my GCSE grades were decent, with me getting 8/7 in double science and a 7 in maths. The one subject I am extremely worried about it’s my English language result which I got a grade 4 in. I’ve always struggled with it. I have achieved good grades in other English based subjects like EPQ (grade B) and history (gcse grade 6).My UCAT is in 2 days :,))) I’m just wondering will this affect my application to uni.Any help would be amazing.
Original post by Vanesa181
Would I be able to get into foundation year medicine with a grade 4 in English? I have recently received my a level results which I got 3 B’s in maths, biology and chemistry. And my GCSE grades were decent, with me getting 8/7 in double science and a 7 in maths. The one subject I am extremely worried about it’s my English language result which I got a grade 4 in. I’ve always struggled with it. I have achieved good grades in other English based subjects like EPQ (grade B) and history (gcse grade 6).My UCAT is in 2 days :,))) I’m just wondering will this affect my application to uni.Any help would be amazing.

Your choices in universities may be limited, your best bet is to look at the entry requirements for each university to find out, and if the information on the page is not clear and too general then go ahead and email the admissions team and ask.
Reply 30
Hi, what's the difference betebetween med foundation year and a normal med undergraduate course? Thank you
hi guys, im applying this October with predicted grades ABB for foundation medicine or contextual admissions at ARU,Nottingham,Southampton and Leicester. I am also doing the autumn A-Level examinations and I will receive my results in December, so if interviews go well I will have an unconditional offer. I'm just wondering if anyone knows when interview invites are sent out and when the unis will let you know if you have been accepted post interview? thanks in advance!!
is there anyone with an offer from last year reading this thread/ someone who can help me out ?
Can i chose more than one uni option to be foundation year medicine?
Thank you!
Reply 35
Can you apply for medicine with a foundation year even if your grades meet the medicine entry requirements? If so can you get an unconditional offer? And do you guarantee further progress to medicine?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Khalid Al-Raisi
Can you apply for medicine with a foundation year even if your grades meet the medicine entry requirements? If so can you get an unconditional offer? And do you guarantee further progress to medicine?

most unis ive looked at said u cant but u could try emailing the unis u have in mind. all the best tho!
Hello,
I was wondering if the UCAT decile varies for someone applying for foundation year medicine? Thank you!
can i be considered for a foundation course without GCSE english language (i got a D).
will they let me
is there any option of sitting the english gcse whilst on the course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending