The Student Room Group

Masters Semester 2 Feedback Help!

Just had my semester 2 feedback and a bit disappointed. Got a pass, but both essays so far complain of a lack of a link between the theoretical/conceptual frameworks and analysis. This was a theme in semester 1 too...

I don't really know what I'm doing wrong. I'm saying in the frameworks eg in an earthquake, communities do this this and this. And then in the case studies, I say as mentioned by [author name] in the frameworks, this is happening. Any suggestions?!

Also; direct quotations from web sources, and they are marking me down for a lack of a page number when there isn't a page number?!
Original post by LDS0507
Just had my semester 2 feedback and a bit disappointed. Got a pass, but both essays so far complain of a lack of a link between the theoretical/conceptual frameworks and analysis. This was a theme in semester 1 too...

I don't really know what I'm doing wrong. I'm saying in the frameworks eg in an earthquake, communities do this this and this. And then in the case studies, I say as mentioned by [author name] in the frameworks, this is happening. Any suggestions?!

Also; direct quotations from web sources, and they are marking me down for a lack of a page number when there isn't a page number?!

Have you discussed your feedback with your lecturers/tutor? They are best placed to explain it to you and sign post you to academic writing workshops etc.
Did they went through how to write an academic essay? It looks like an underlying theme. If you're writing a university level assignment, you tend to use the theory and concepts as your central discussion over the use of examples and case studies i.e. you're debating theories not application of theories.

I suggest you read How to Write Great Essays by Peter Levin, if you still have a disseration to write. It will help.

With references to web sources, there is a Harvard Referencing method for weblinks; may want to read up on it.

Without looking at the essays, I won't be able to suggest more.
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
Did they went through how to write an academic essay? It looks like an underlying theme. If you're writing a university level assignment, you tend to use the theory and concepts as your central discussion over the use of examples and case studies i.e. you're debating theories not application of theories.

I suggest you read How to Write Great Essays by Peter Levin, if you still have a disseration to write. It will help.

With references to web sources, there is a Harvard Referencing method for weblinks; may want to read up on it.

Hi thanks for the reply. Yeah this is what I'm doing; well I graduated undergrad at 2015 with a first, so I'm clearly still a bit rusty starting masters 4 years on. I'm applying the theory from the frameworks to the case studies; for example, Non-Government Organisations do this [insert action] when they go to a site of an earthquake. Then in the discussion, I am basically saying in Haiti, look this happened, what [insert author] said in framework. And I just tend to go through it like that, finding examples from the framework within the case study.

This is where I'm getting confused as I'm linking but getting told I'm not?
Reply 4
Without

Without going into too much detail about my course, it's odd as half the essays I'm getting 65+ for, and half low 50's. And I know some of my courses use application of theory. These must be the ones I'm doing okay on, and the others where I'm not I guess I should be doing more of, what I'm not doing currently?! 😂
Original post by LDS0507
Without

Without going into too much detail about my course, it's odd as half the essays I'm getting 65+ for, and half low 50's. And I know some of my courses use application of theory. These must be the ones I'm doing okay on, and the others where I'm not I guess I should be doing more of, what I'm not doing currently?! 😂

If you're getting 65+, it means you're doing most of the things right in your first semester. In your second semester, you are supposed to be more focused on theoretical concepts and discussing the validity of those theoretical concepts (critical thinking, etc.). It's kind of like Year 3 of your bachelor's, but harder. Finding examples to fit the theory is usually not the main focus at the higher levels.

I would only recommend getting feedback from your marker, as this is where you can get the answers you need. I did something similar with my MSc.
Reply 6
If you're getting 65+, it means you're doing most of the things right in your first semester. In your second semester, you are supposed to be more focused on theoretical concepts and discussing the validity of those theoretical concepts (critical thinking, etc.). It's kind of like Year 3 of your bachelor's, but harder. Finding examples to fit the theory is usually not the main focus at the higher levels.

I would only recommend getting feedback from your marker, as this is where you can get the answers you need. I did something similar with my MSc.

Would love to but the marker put on that it's only to be discussed with your academic advisor not marker! 😤

I've got a 15,000 word [max] diss to do and it's proper set me back a bit confidence wise for it.

Think I just need a day or two to reassess, look where I'm going wrong and see if I can correct it for my diss. But then again there, I'm doing case study analysis [due to covid] so I guess, in that I'm exploring how the themes I find play out in the case study anyway?!
Original post by LDS0507
Would love to but the marker put on that it's only to be discussed with your academic advisor not marker! 😤

I've got a 15,000 word [max] diss to do and it's proper set me back a bit confidence wise for it.

Think I just need a day or two to reassess, look where I'm going wrong and see if I can correct it for my diss. But then again there, I'm doing case study analysis [due to covid] so I guess, in that I'm exploring how the themes I find play out in the case study anyway?!

How strange; don't know whehther your advisor would know what the marker is thinking, but OK. Any feedback is better than none.

If you're doing a case study analysis, then I wouldn't worry about the feedback as much, but I'm sure you will do it anyway just in case.
Reply 8
How strange; don't know whehther your advisor would know what the marker is thinking, but OK. Any feedback is better than none.

If you're doing a case study analysis, then I wouldn't worry about the feedback as much, but I'm sure you will do it anyway just in case.

Just had very useful feedback to be fair from my academic advisor this morning, sent a massive email with how I could go about it in my dissertation. Just wish my supervisor was as useful! 😤

Trying to arrange dates to send my work to my supervisor for my dissertation that is due in 2nd September. Allowed to send a draft in intro, lit review and methodology. Send whenever was the response! Some staff need a kick up the...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending