The Student Room Group

Work experience application- how should I answer this question?

' Why are you interested in getting work experience and what do you hope to gain?'

I want some work experience so that I can delve deeper into the subjects, and because it's good to put on your CV. But I don't think I can say the latter :frown: What would you say is a good way of going about answering the question? How would you answer it?

About me: In year 11. Not sure what I want to do in the future. Taking Maths, Physics, further maths and chemistry next year.
(edited 3 years ago)
Those are really math intesive courses. I wish you luck next year; try to stick with it if you can.

'Why are you interested in getting work experience and what do you hope to gain?'
Don't take my interpretation of it without speaking to others, but the question sounds like it more or less focuses on what the company would be able to get out of you.
I would answer it along the lines of:
1) See if you would be a fit for the job and career in X
2) Fit for the company
3) Explore my passion for ABC/to do 123
4) Gain an insight of what working for an established (or suitable flattering adjectives for the size of the company) DEF company would be like and whether I would be able to continue contributing to the company after university/A Levels

What I would try to avoid doing is say what you want to get out of it, and focus more on what the company can get out of you during the course in time (partly because I think that's what things look like from their perspective).

Hope this helps
Original post by MindMax2000
Those are really math intesive courses. I wish you luck next year; try to stick with it if you can.

'Why are you interested in getting work experience and what do you hope to gain?'
Don't take my interpretation of it without speaking to others, but the question sounds like it more or less focuses on what the company would be able to get out of you.
I would answer it along the lines of:
1) See if you would be a fit for the job and career in X
2) Fit for the company
3) Explore my passion for ABC/to do 123
4) Gain an insight of what working for an established (or suitable flattering adjectives for the size of the company) DEF company would be like and whether I would be able to continue contributing to the company after university/A Levels

What I would try to avoid doing is say what you want to get out of it, and focus more on what the company can get out of you during the course in time (partly because I think that's what things look like from their perspective).

Hope this helps

Thanks for your help 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending