The Student Room Group

Nobody's pleased for my 1st class degree

I just wanted a little rant to anyone who will listen really.
I've spent 3 years studying at a really good uni and ended with a 1st which I'm thrilled with. The problem is, my parents, grandparents, friends and family (who I love very dearly) don't seem proud or happy for me because they all expected it. I've always gotten good grades and their reactions have all been the same "What else would you have got? We didn't expect anything else" kinda thing.
I know there's worse things going on in the world but I was so excited to tell them all that it was confirmed I'd be leaving with a first and I just feel a bit disappointed by their (lack of) reactions.

Scroll to see replies

I am so pleased for you.
Learn to stop seeking validation from others.
Reply 3
Original post by Brutal Bee
I am so pleased for you.

I don't know if this is sarcasm but thank you so much, it really means a lot
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know if this is sarcasm but thank you so much, it really means a lot

Not sarcasm at all! You have obviously worked very hard and done so incredibly well. You should be so pleased for yourself! Are you doing anything to celebrate? : )
Not trying to be rude, but with opinions and things like this, sometimes parents don't have the best ideas. You should just know you have worked so hard to be where you are. Getting a First will kick start you career whatever that may be. Employers are way more likely to employ you for firsts because they are quite rare. Don't worry about others opinions. You do you!
Congrats.

What matters most is that you feel a sense of pride and fulfillment.

I dont know why your frends & family are blasé, but its probably that they don't understand the achievement or are impressed but dont know how to show you their pride.
I’m pleased for you. That’s a big accomplishment and it’ll open many doors for you in the future.

As for your family, it was probably a bit of a letdown but try to remember that you did your degree for YOU.
I know they probably are extremely proud of you but sorry you don’t see it that way. Try not to let it bring you down as it is an amazing achievement. Just carry on doing well, get a good job and you will carry on making them proud!
Congrats!!! Absolutely smashed it. Wish you all the success in your next steps you choose to take.
I've spent 3 years studying at a really good uni and ended with a 1st which I'm thrilled with. The problem is, my parents, grandparents, friends and family (who I love very dearly) don't seem proud or happy for me because they all expected it. I've always gotten good grades and their reactions have all been the same "What else would you have got? We didn't expect anything else" kinda thing.
I know there's worse things going on in the world but I was so excited to tell them all that it was confirmed I'd be leaving with a first and I just feel a bit disappointed by their (lack of) reactions.

Congratulations on your excellent result. It doesn't just fall out of the sky, regardless of how gifted academically you are, and you've obviously worked hard and diligently attended to your studies.

It's not acceptable for all your friends and family to dismiss your achievement as 'to be expected' - and don't feel bad for calling it out. I know how you feel: I used to have this myself. It's water off a duck's back now, but it hurts a bit - as if your achievements somehow aren't as 'valid' as someone else. I know...

Well done, anyway :smile:
Thank you SO much guys. I really do appreciate you taking the time out of your days to reply to this with so much positivity. And you're all right, I did the degree for me and I am proud of myself. I guess I will learn to become more resilient to these things!
Reply 12
I think it's boss - really well done. Despite what some on here think, it is not easy and you've done dead well
I’m pleased for you and I’m sure you’ve worked hard.
I’ll try and see the other side. In a way it is a compliment. They are telling you that they know you’ve always worked hard, and deserve the result you’ve got. That means you’ve had their support and confidence from day one. Try to see it that way. They may not be very good at putting it into words
i think what you did is great and i just hope you know that this will help you in the future and good luck in getting a good job! :smile:

Hi!

Firstly wanted to start with saying congratulations!

Secondly, I 100% understand how this is frustrating, but try not to let peoples reactions affect how you feel about this accomplishment. Feel proud within yourself and know that even though your friends and family expected it, they are still happy and proud of you. Again, feel proud within yourself! That's all that really matters because this is your degree, which you chose to do for yourself, and worked hard for for yourself!

Congrats again :smile:

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:

Hi, first of all congrats at getting a 1st class degree! It’s not easy and you must have worked hard so you should be proud of that :thumbsup:

Try and take their indifference as them being so confident with your ability that they wouldn’t expect anything less. People don't always fully express how they feel sometimes but they may be so proud in their own way. You could try and mention it to them again by saying you’re excited about it etc just to get a conversation going about it.

But to be honest as long as you’re pleased that’s all that matters because you have done exceptionally well :smartass:

Massive well done!!

Devina
Congrats! Virtual champagne cheers to you! Regardless of your family's reaction, you've done amazingly well! Getting a first is not a small feat, and your hard work is going to pay off. Here's to a future full of possibilitities and fulfillment :smile: Maybe it's taking a little longer for your parents' excitement to set in because the usual graduation events are called off? Either way, I'm sure they are proud of you.. give it some time, but meanwhile, be proud of the work you've done to get where you are!
You don't need to seek validation from others. Be proud of what you've achieved, congrats :smile:

Congratulations!

You're right that's very disheartening. Unfortunately we can't control how others will react, I would honestly take this as a compliment- it means you're very smart. I would do anything to be as smart as you. I'm terrible at exams, I failed my first year of uni and I'm possibly going to fail this year too. it's not that I'm lazy to revise, I genuinely have a huge fear of failure to the point where I stop doing anything about it because I accept my fate, of always being a let down.

Honestly, it's a deep psychological issue for me, and I would do anything to be in your position. Even if I dont get that appreciation, to be proud of myself and feel the accomplishment you should feel is something I could only dream of

Quick Reply

Latest