username5243714
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Why did AQA repeat the same question in 2018 for English Lit?

Specimen paper - Compare the ways poets present ideas about power in ‘Ozymandias’ and in one other poem from ‘Power and conflict’.

2018 - Compare how poets present ideas about power in ‘Ozymandias’ and in one other poem from ‘Power and conflict’.
Newyorkiscool
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I assume it was to trick students. Chances are they wouldn’t normally repeat the same question from the year before so people will not revise ozymandias as the chances are slim that poem will come up again
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
we don't really know and i'm pretty sure they're not supposed to especially for subjects like english. iirc i read they got fined for doing that so i don't think they'll be doing it again.
HighFlyingSkies
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Exams boards have a syllabus that they need to stick to which almost never changes hugely year after year, so they can only ask as much questions. They often recycle questions or ask the same/similar questions but change it a little. This is why it is important to go through all the past papers when studying and preparing for an exam if you want a high grade. It could save you a lot of time trying to understand a certain question, but be careful because sometimes they change a few things or swap a few things around too. Make sure to look at the examiners reports too, this basically tells you want they are looking for in the answers and how the whole cohort did as a whole. I remember for one of my exams a question came up that I already done on a practice paper, so I breezed through it! :-)
Last edited by HighFlyingSkies; 7 months ago
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Lightning720)
Why did AQA repeat the same question in 2018 for English Lit?

Specimen paper - Compare the ways poets present ideas about power in ‘Ozymandias’ and in one other poem from ‘Power and conflict’.

2018 - Compare how poets present ideas about power in ‘Ozymandias’ and in one other poem from ‘Power and conflict’.
They can do what they want, they can adjust the mark schemes and grade boundaries.

I remember the 2003 AQA physics A level empa is near identical to the 2014 AQA A2 empa.
username5243714
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
They can do what they want, they can adjust the mark schemes and grade boundaries.

I remember the 2003 AQA physics A level empa is near identical to the 2014 AQA A2 empa.
Ofqual wasn't happy with them doing it so I doubt they can really "do what they want".
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Newyorkiscool)
I assume it was to trick students. Chances are they wouldn’t normally repeat the same question from the year before so people will not revise ozymandias as the chances are slim that poem will come up again
Bruh we were so surprised when that question came up ngl
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
There are like 20 power and conflict poems and one of the questions has to be phrased like that. As a result, you are almost certain to get repeats like this one. Annoyed me no end because I learned Ozymandias hoping I could just compare that to whatever poem was given
moso2203
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Ofqual, which oversees school exams in England, said it had levied its largest ever fine on AQA after 50,000 appeals for exam papers to be reviewed or re-marked, spread across three years between 2016 and 2018, were carried out by AQA staff who had already marked the same papers.

The regulator also imposed a further fine and reprimands for other cases involving faulty exam design. In 2018 more than 100 students initially received lower French A-level grades, and a question used in practice papers was repeated in the GCSE English literature exam the same year.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
My uni did one further and copied almost verbatim (like one subpart of a question was different) the 2017 paper of a module for the 2019 paper, lol. The above sounds right about getting told off by Ofqual.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (284)
56.69%
I don't have everything I need (217)
43.31%

Watched Threads