SchuylerSister22
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, so this year I am crashing Higher Modern Studies this year 2020/21 as an S6. I last studied it in S3 and hated it because I just wasn't interested in it at all and thought there was too much writing involved.

I also studied Biology in S3 and I liked the subject apart from when we had to learn about plants. I was good at both of the classes and was told by both teachers in my reports that I was perfectly capable of succeeding in both classes to do Nat 5 in S4. I ended up not doing either of them.

I chose to crash Higher Modern Studies in S6 because I felt like I needed a social subject for University as I want to do International Business. However, after this being my second week of Modern Studies I can already tell that it's not for me. I'm experiencing that same bored feeling that I remember from S3. Over quarantine I've been looking into a lot of medical things and I've become very interested. Which is why I was thinking of swapping Modern Studies for Biology. Do you think this is a good idea?
FriedFish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bump
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SchuylerSister22)
Hi, so this year I am crashing Higher Modern Studies this year 2020/21 as an S6. I last studied it in S3 and hated it because I just wasn't interested in it at all and thought there was too much writing involved.

I also studied Biology in S3 and I liked the subject apart from when we had to learn about plants. I was good at both of the classes and was told by both teachers in my reports that I was perfectly capable of succeeding in both classes to do Nat 5 in S4. I ended up not doing either of them.

I chose to crash Higher Modern Studies in S6 because I felt like I needed a social subject for University as I want to do International Business. However, after this being my second week of Modern Studies I can already tell that it's not for me. I'm experiencing that same bored feeling that I remember from S3. Over quarantine I've been looking into a lot of medical things and I've become very interested. Which is why I was thinking of swapping Modern Studies for Biology. Do you think this is a good idea?
The problem you might find with Higher Bio is that it's extremely, extremely dense in content. It's assumed that you know all Nat 5 content and the basics aren't explained at Higher. It might be quite a troublesome uphill climb.

That said, if you don't like Mods then you should probably switch. Do you need more Highers for what you want to do once you finish S6? Bio could be a good idea if you really like it and don't think it'd be too difficult (but please don't underestimate it). You could also consider things like RMPS or a foreign language.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SchuylerSister22)

I think if you want to switch, now is the time to do it. Would echo what Quick-Use has said, but crash higher biology can be done, particularly if sciences/maths are subjects you enjoy/are good at (a lot of people complain about the maths in biology every year!). If you do go ahead with it, would definitely encourage you to familiarise yourself with the Nat 5 content over summer
ßulletproof
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can't say for certain but from my experience, I don't think you'll enjoy most other social subjects if essays/lots of writing is something you're not keen in. Some of them might not be (I think business is not essay heavy), but having done rmps, history and mods... the structure is quite similar between them which involves a lot of writing! Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads