DylanT18
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Can anyone recommend some summer reading for and undergraduate about to start first year of a Biology university course?
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Maybe try to find the reading list last year?
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Are you doing the reading to try and get a jump-start (e.g. Textbooks and such) or just general interest about the subject before you start (e.g. Non-fiction novels about biology)?
DylanT18
Rep:
?
(Original post by yeahthatonethere)
Are you doing the reading to try and get a jump-start (e.g. Textbooks and such) or just general interest about the subject before you start (e.g. Non-fiction novels about biology)?
Yeah just general interest about reading around the subject.
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by DylanT18)
Yeah just general interest about reading around the subject.
Ah okay! Here are a few reccomendations I've heard of or read myself:

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins - About evolution and genetics. I've not read it but it's one of the classic ones everyone always reccomends.

I Contain Multitudes by Ed Yong / 10% Human by Alanna Collen / Missing Microbes by Martin Blaser - All different takes on the human microbiota and its effect on health and disease and such.

The Beautiful Cure by Daniel M Davies - Talks about the advances in immunology. I really enjoyed reading it as it gave insight into not only the science itself but some politics behind the scenes such as in the Nobel Prize. Some very interesting stories in here including one about one of the only people to win the Nobel prize after their death.

Genome by Matt Ridley - Another genetics book. I found this super interesting and it gave some pretty interesting ideas (e.g. How bacteria are better evolved than humans). Less bulky than some of the other books as well.

The Immortal Life of Henritta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot - Very different to the other books in that it discusses a controversy within science. A woman with cancer had her cells immortalised and used as a cancer cell line (that is still used today!) without her permission or knowledge.

If none of these catch your fancy there are plenty out there! The amazon rankings are a great place to look and 'worldofbooks' offers a lot of books at such low price too. Hope I've managed to help!
DylanT18
Rep:
?
(Original post by yeahthatonethere)
Ah okay! Here are a few reccomendations I've heard of or read myself:

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins - About evolution and genetics. I've not read it but it's one of the classic ones everyone always reccomends.

I Contain Multitudes by Ed Yong / 10% Human by Alanna Collen / Missing Microbes by Martin Blaser - All different takes on the human microbiota and its effect on health and disease and such.

The Beautiful Cure by Daniel M Davies - Talks about the advances in immunology. I really enjoyed reading it as it gave insight into not only the science itself but some politics behind the scenes such as in the Nobel Prize. Some very interesting stories in here including one about one of the only people to win the Nobel prize after their death.

Genome by Matt Ridley - Another genetics book. I found this super interesting and it gave some pretty interesting ideas (e.g. How bacteria are better evolved than humans). Less bulky than some of the other books as well.

The Immortal Life of Henritta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot - Very different to the other books in that it discusses a controversy within science. A woman with cancer had her cells immortalised and used as a cancer cell line (that is still used today!) without her permission or knowledge.

If none of these catch your fancy there are plenty out there! The amazon rankings are a great place to look and 'worldofbooks' offers a lot of books at such low price too. Hope I've managed to help!
Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (4)
12.12%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
30.3%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
9.09%
No, I haven't received any communication (16)
48.48%

Watched Threads