The Student Room Group

Scared of families new kittens

Hi I am looking for some advice really from you cat owners. After much nagging from my sister, who is just about to turn 14, and much consideration by my parents they decided to get a kitten. On saturday the local cats protection held an open day and they ended up adopting 2 14 wk old female kittens. My family thinks they are cute and seem to be settling in but our I am has really scared of them.

This is to the point where my family give excuses the kittens can come and play in the living room. It makes me incredibly jumpy every time one comes near me or both I am worse. My fear is that one is going to scratch me or bite me. I really want my family to send them back but my sister really wants them. I never thought my family would buy kittens as there is always a neighbours cat in our garden and we did like it. This afternoon I screamed loud then ran off as one came and sat next to me on the sofa and was trembling, in the end I lost my mum shouted at me with me and sent me to my bedroom. I just watching tv and it ran in the living room and sat next to mePlease help I don't know what to do.

I am thinking I need to give it a bit more time for my family to consider returning them, what do you think? Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I am looking for some advice really from you cat owners. After much nagging from my sister, who is just about to turn 14, and much consideration by my parents they decided to get a kitten. On saturday the local cats protection held an open day and they ended up adopting 2 14 wk old female kittens. My family thinks they are cute and seem to be settling in but our I am has really scared of them.

This is to the point where my family give excuses the kittens can come and play in the living room. It makes me incredibly jumpy every time one comes near me or both I am worse. My fear is that one is going to scratch me or bite me. I really want my family to send them back but my sister really wants them. I never thought my family would buy kittens as there is always a neighbours cat in our garden and we did like it. This afternoon I screamed loud then ran off as one came and sat next to me on the sofa and was trembling, in the end I lost my mum shouted at me with me and sent me to my bedroom. I just watching tv and it ran in the living room and sat next to mePlease help I don't know what to do.

I am thinking I need to give it a bit more time for my family to consider returning them, what do you think? Thanks in advance

I tried using a laser pen and I pointed into the hallway and the kitten went out but my mum took the laser off me. My mum and sister said I will have to learn to cope with it but I can’t
Reply 2
Once they scratch / bite you enough times you will get used to it. It might hurt at first, but you become immune :smile:

I suggest you get scratching posts. At least 2.
If you want to put them on leashes later in life and take them for walks, start that when their still young ( putting on a collar, swinging a leash around them a bit, etc ).
I suggest you put them on a mainly fish diet, as most cats are actually allergic to chicken and beef. Most people dont know this, but I know a lot of people whos cats have passed on because of a flare up at an older age from beef / chicken.
If you have any sort of questions, feel free to reach out :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Once they scratch / bite you enough times you will get used to it. It might hurt at first, but you become immune :smile:

I suggest you get scratching posts. At least 2.
If you want to put them on leashes later in life and take them for walks, start that when their still young ( putting on a collar, swinging a leash around them a bit, etc ).
I suggest you put them on a mainly fish diet, as most cats are actually allergic to chicken and beef. Most people dont know this, but I know a lot of people whos cats have passed on because of a flare up at an older age from beef / chicken.
If you have any sort of questions, feel free to reach out :biggrin:

I think if they do scratch or bite me I’m just going to become more petrified. None of that is my issue, it’s my families
Reply 4
I think if they do scratch or bite me I’m just going to become more petrified. None of that is my issue, it’s my families

It really doesnt hurt much. Their only play scratches and bites :tongue:
Reply 5
It really doesnt hurt much. Their only play scratches and bites :tongue:

I am still scared, it’s not just that I just feel like they are invading my privacy, I was sitting in the living room and wanted to watch tv on my own but one of the kittens sat next to me
Reply 6
I am still scared, it’s not just that I just feel like they are invading my privacy, I was sitting in the living room and wanted to watch tv on my own but one of the kittens sat next to me

ffs what a crybaby. how are you even still alive. cats are amazing
Reply 7

Aw. Do you think you know why you feel that way?
They really wont hurt you, I promise. Its just a kitten. Ive had many kittens in my life and none of them have ever hurt me :smile:
Reply 8
Aw. Do you think you know why you feel that way?
They really wont hurt you, I promise. Its just a kitten. Ive had many kittens in my life and none of them have ever hurt me :smile:

I just have never been a fan of animals
Reply 9
Original post by Ciel.
ffs what a crybaby. how are you even still alive. cats are amazing

I don’t cry lmao
Reply 10
I don’t cry lmao

you're literally afraid of a kitten.
Original post by Ciel.
you're literally afraid of a kitten.

2 kittens
Reply 12
2 kittens

awwwwwwwwwww
Original post by Ciel.
awwwwwwwwwww

Wouldn’t you just want to be left alone when you are watching tv
Reply 14
Wouldn’t you just want to be left alone when you are watching tv

nah my cat and dog basically never leave me alone, i don't mind lol
Reply 15

So pick it up and put it on the ground.
This is something your just going to have to get used to. Its just a kitten.
Listen if you don’t want them just hand them over. I’d do anything to be able to chill with kittens
Original post by Ciel.
nah my cat and dog basically never leave me alone, i don't mind lol

Do you not get annoyed by that, I hate it
Reply 18
Do you not get annoyed by that, I hate it

no, they're my furchildren <3
Being bitten or scratched really doesn't hurt, I had a very feisty cat who would do this pretty much daily, most of the time kittens will do this to play, they don't irrationally jump on and attack people

The kitten sitting next to you on the sofa probably just wants food, a cuddle or to play, they don't want to kill you

You are being a bit irrational, ultimately your family will decide whether to keep them, and if they are all happy with the kittens and you have no good reason for not wanting them then you'll have to accept it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending