The Student Room Group

Anyone who's studying a psychology degree, is it worth it?

I'm choosing between doing psychology with cognitive neuroscience or a biology degree. I find both really interesting but I'm not sure what kind of job i would want in the future. I want to know if anyone who has studied psychology (or graduated), what did you do after your degree? Was it worth it?
Reply 1
If you do psychology as a degree, most likely your going to be a psychologist right? so wouldn't a masters and then phd be next, personally most people i know that did psychology didn't want to commit to further years of study so they went into human resource management.
Original post by velvets779
I'm choosing between doing psychology with cognitive neuroscience or a biology degree. I find both really interesting but I'm not sure what kind of job i would want in the future. I want to know if anyone who has studied psychology (or graduated), what did you do after your degree? Was it worth it?

I've actually gone on to do my masters in Psychology and I really enjoy it - I'm hoping to work on the more social side of Psychology, ie Domestic Abuse. Speaking of which, I am doing my dissertation at the moment, can you please take my survey? https://livpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6Wmi26G3nkqNoI5
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
It was worth it for me, even if I can't currently use my degree.
Original post by Pathway
It was worth it for me, even if I can't currently use my degree.

Please if you are able to, can you help me to do my Psychology Masters Thesis https://livpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6Wmi26G3nkqNoI5
(edited 3 years ago)
My sister is currently doing a master's in the field and intended to compete the next stage of training to become a clinical psychologist - she's definitely loved it and it shows in her grades too.

If you do go for psychology, make sure the course is accredited by the BPS, else if you want to go down the psychologist route you'll need to do extra training.
Reply 6
If you’re interested in a subject it’s always worth studying. But remember it’s easier to convert to psychology later than it is to other subjects. If you want a career that uses psychological principles, you don’t need to do a psychology degree. Something worth thinking about.
Reply 7
Depends on what you want to do in the future honestly. I wouldn’t recommend going into studying in the hopes of becoming a Clinical Psychologist because of how soul sucking the competition is to become one. It is extremely hard and most people give up on trying to get into the doctorate course. I am genuinely worried for my future because of this. However, if you want to become a researcher in cognitive psychology/neurology I would say that you can do that with both of those degrees and I would suggest going along with psychology. Psychology degree is very fun and it is extremely broad. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t be disadvantaged if you chose Psychology over Biology in any means.
I didn't do psychology as an undergraduate degree, but I'm doing a masters in Forensic Psychology at the moment and I love it
Original post by velvets779

Personally, no. I enjoyed the course and achieved a First - clinical psychology was always something that I wanted to do since year 10. However, I'd say the field is pretty demoralising. Everyone's running after low paid jobs (support workers, assistant psychologists, etc) to gain experience in hopes of becoming an assistant psychologist (which rarely pay well either) and then hope to apply for the doctorate which can get incredibly draining. The field is so competitive it can become toxic. It then raises some questions e.g., do you want to spend the rest of your 20s running after an assistant post? Most AP posts are slowly turning into admin work too, and the pay's kind of bad. I didn't feel like I was meeting my potential with it. In other words, only do psychology if you're proper passionate about it.

On the other hand, progression after completing the doctorate is good. It's not like it's impossible to gain assistant posts or get onto the doctorate. It's a very rewarding career. You build a nice academic portfolio. The people in the field are really nice and supportive. But it does take time.

As for what I did after my degree, I'm currently researching and looking into every field possible and seeing which ones I can go into. Like, which ones are employable, conversion courses, career progression etc... It's anything other than psychology really. Sorry if this post seemed negative, it's just my own perspective of it, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the course if you pick it!
Original post by sanaxviii
Personally, no. I enjoyed the course and achieved a First - clinical psychology was always something that I wanted to do since year 10. However, I'd say the field is pretty demoralising. Everyone's running after low paid jobs (support workers, assistant psychologists, etc) to gain experience in hopes of becoming an assistant psychologist (which rarely pay well either) and then hope to apply for the doctorate which can get incredibly draining. The field is so competitive it can become toxic. It then raises some questions e.g., do you want to spend the rest of your 20s running after an assistant post? Most AP posts are slowly turning into admin work too, and the pay's kind of bad. I didn't feel like I was meeting my potential with it. In other words, only do psychology if you're proper passionate about it.

On the other hand, progression after completing the doctorate is good. It's not like it's impossible to gain assistant posts or get onto the doctorate. It's a very rewarding career. You build a nice academic portfolio. The people in the field are really nice and supportive. But it does take time.

As for what I did after my degree, I'm currently researching and looking into every field possible and seeing which ones I can go into. Like, which ones are employable, conversion courses, career progression etc... It's anything other than psychology really. Sorry if this post seemed negative, it's just my own perspective of it, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the course if you pick it!

This reply was really enlightening tbh. I'm in my second year of an undergraduate psychology degree and already its so hard finding work experience, is very competitive etc. It is quite draining. To hear this doesn't change too much later down the career path is interesting to hear.
I'm a psychology graduate. My opinion is rather blunt: do not do a psychology degree if you do not want a career in psychology.

Also, do not do a psychology degree if you are not sure what you want to do. Other degree programmes (particularly STEM degree programmes) are better for honing your transferable skills.

Quick Reply

Latest