The Student Room Group

Graduate this year or masters?

I was hoping to graduate and find a job this year with a good Bachelors degree. However, I'm concerned about my job prospects over the next few months, or even the next year depending on how things go and am considering whether I might stay at uni and do a masters.

Do you think it would be a good idea to stay at university or keep trying in the current job market?
Original post by Lite98
I was hoping to graduate and find a job this year with a good Bachelors degree. However, I'm concerned about my job prospects over the next few months, or even the next year depending on how things go and am considering whether I might stay at uni and do a masters.

Do you think it would be a good idea to stay at university or keep trying in the current job market?

Hi @Lite98,

I am Millie, a final year Business and Marketing student. Similarly to yourself, I am concerned about my job prospects given the current situation and the lack of available jobs in a field that I am interested in. I have considered a masters however, I think it is more likely that I will continue to try within the current job market.
My reasoning behind this is:
1) It would be a large commitment for me financially (as the loan would not cover course and accommodation)
2) Would I be doing one because I wanted to or because I felt I had to? (If I am not wholly interested in it, I may not put in the level of effort I usually would which may harm my scores)
3) Will this extra commitment increase my employability a substanial amount? (skills learnt etc).

I do however have friends who have decided to undertake a masters for next year, their reasoning is:
1) A great opportunity to learn something new and enhance their skills to be able to apply for more diversified roles
2) Not necessarily having to rent accommodation if the university employs online learning methods (potentially reducing costs).

I hope this helps and provides you with some insight!

Take care,

Millie- Student Representative
Original post by Lite98

It really depends on your CV, and what you want to get into post graduation.

Jobs will initially be down and realistically I think it will be a challenge to get graduate level work this next year, tbh most big roles starting September will already be filled. Jobs do crop up all year round so if you're keen there will be opportunities but be prepared for a competitive application process.

If you do a masters, I would make sure you dont just go into the first thing that crops up and make sure its in a subject that can boost your CV, also when you go back to uni make sure you go meet the careers team early to work on your CV etc. use the opportunity.
Original post by Lite98

Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi @Lite98,

I am Millie, a final year Business and Marketing student. Similarly to yourself, I am concerned about my job prospects given the current situation and the lack of available jobs in a field that I am interested in. I have considered a masters however, I think it is more likely that I will continue to try within the current job market.
My reasoning behind this is:
1) It would be a large commitment for me financially (as the loan would not cover course and accommodation)
2) Would I be doing one because I wanted to or because I felt I had to? (If I am not wholly interested in it, I may not put in the level of effort I usually would which may harm my scores)
3) Will this extra commitment increase my employability a substanial amount? (skills learnt etc).

I do however have friends who have decided to undertake a masters for next year, their reasoning is:
1) A great opportunity to learn something new and enhance their skills to be able to apply for more diversified roles
2) Not necessarily having to rent accommodation if the university employs online learning methods (potentially reducing costs).

I hope this helps and provides you with some insight!

Take care,

Millie- Student Representative

Hi @Lite98

Just to offer a different perspective to Millie.

I decide to remain within the HE system, and completed an MA last year rather than apply for a graduate job. I've now made the decision to continue on and I started a PhD in September 2019. I decided to do this because I wish to be a researcher and work within the heritage/history sector and completing these degrees allows me to develop the skills I require for it.

As Millie has said you need to consider the benefits if you were to complete a Masters.
Would completing a masters help your job prospects after?
I would also say it largely depends on the opportunities which completing a masters would provide you during the period of completing it and what this would add to your CV.
However, I would not complete a masters for the sake of completing a masters. You need to be certain that it is something which you are 100% invested in completing.
If you're invested in it, you'll succeed with it, if you're not then it could impact your academic achievement.

Emily
PhD History Candidate/Student

Quick Reply