The Student Room Group

Revision help

If you got all A*/ mostly A*. When did you start revising and did you know all the content, did you have to relearn anything. I’m aiming for all A/A*. I’m in y10 btw.
Original post by mebohon123
If you got all A*/ mostly A*. When did you start revising and did you know all the content, did you have to relearn anything. I’m aiming for all A/A*. I’m in y10 btw.

Hi there!

I don't personally think that what works for one person works for another. I'll give you an example:

A friend and I were always very similar with grades throughout high school, high achievers if you will. When it came to revision I started particularly early, very concerned that my grades were not from natural brainy ability, they were from working hard. So I started around Easter time. My friend on the other hand revised a little the night before each exam.

Surprisingly enough, we both came out with the same grades from our exams. People learn differently, they take information in at different times, some retain information differently. If I was you, don't take advice from others on when you start revising because we are all different. Assess yourself and your own abilities.

Hope this helps!
getting the top grades will mainly come from exam technique as well as accurate recall of the content. you should be revising regularly and have an organised revision plan to help you stay on top of things. methods that use active recall are best eg. flashcards and exam practice questions. do lots of practice questions so you can learn how to apply your knowledge and understanding of the content to the questions.
For GCSE’s I averaged out at a 7/8 with most of mums grades being 8(A*). In terms of when I started revising I started making notes in summer of year 10 especially for content heavy subjects such as Chemistry and Biology I found it helpful to watch free science lessons and copy down everything the guy said to form notes. I then did revision little and often at the beginning of year 11 but really not that much till the end of October where I started revising for November mocks. I would say do lots of revision for your mocks and have notes and flash cards done then. Then take a break after and restart proper revision month or so later as it’s important not to burn out. I started revising from February onwards for gcse having all my notes basically done meant I could focus on past papers cause it really is the key cause questions do repeat themselves.
I am not naturally brainy however I managed to get my way through GCSEs with good grades. Getting a revision time table done is also handy by printing off the month calendar ( I didn’t stick to it but it made me feel organised) splitting subjects into roughly 2 a night picking one harder subjected with one softer one (less content heavy) eg. Chemistry and English Language.

In terms of did I know all the content no I went into exams not knowing some stuff in as much details as I would have liked however looking at past exam papers especially essay based subjects you can kind of work out and teachers tend to as well what hasn’t come up and might this year.

I can give more detailed revision tips for each subject if need be just let me know because it really varied between subject. Just don’t burn out and make sure you have hobbies to enjoy don’t quit everything because of exams I love been busy so reduced some of extra curricular things I did near exam season but not everything.
Original post by gracemacdonald__
For GCSE’s I averaged out at a 7/8 with most of mums grades being 8(A*). In terms of when I started revising I started making notes in summer of year 10 especially for content heavy subjects such as Chemistry and Biology I found it helpful to watch free science lessons and copy down everything the guy said to form notes. I then did revision little and often at the beginning of year 11 but really not that much till the end of October where I started revising for November mocks. I would say do lots of revision for your mocks and have notes and flash cards done then. Then take a break after and restart proper revision month or so later as it’s important not to burn out. I started revising from February onwards for gcse having all my notes basically done meant I could focus on past papers cause it really is the key cause questions do repeat themselves.
I am not naturally brainy however I managed to get my way through GCSEs with good grades. Getting a revision time table done is also handy by printing off the month calendar ( I didn’t stick to it but it made me feel organised) splitting subjects into roughly 2 a night picking one harder subjected with one softer one (less content heavy) eg. Chemistry and English Language.

In terms of did I know all the content no I went into exams not knowing some stuff in as much details as I would have liked however looking at past exam papers especially essay based subjects you can kind of work out and teachers tend to as well what hasn’t come up and might this year.

I can give more detailed revision tips for each subject if need be just let me know because it really varied between subject. Just don’t burn out and make sure you have hobbies to enjoy don’t quit everything because of exams I love been busy so reduced some of extra curricular things I did near exam season but not everything.

Thank you so much, yes I would love the more detailed revision tips please
What gcse subjects do you take.
Reply 6
I would suggest doing past paper questions throughout the whole year but properly start studying around March to get As and A*s. However, it completely depends, if you think you need more study maybe start in January and if you don't think you need at much maybe start a bit later, it completely depends on the person.
Original post by renaamz
I would suggest doing past paper questions throughout the whole year but properly start studying around March to get As and A*s. However, it completely depends, if you think you need more study maybe start in January and if you don't think you need at much maybe start a bit later, it completely depends on the person.

Should I do past papers before I even learn the content
Reply 8
Should I do past papers before I even learn the content

Not questions you haven't learnt but you can do the questions on the content you have already studied
Original post by renaamz
Not questions you haven't learnt but you can do the questions on the content you have already studied

Thank you very much
Original post by gracemacdonald__
What gcse subjects do you take.

AQA triple Science
AQA Spanish
AQA English Lang/ lit
Edexcel Maths
Eduqas geography b
WJEC religious studies B
BTEC business lvl 2
(edited 3 years ago)
AQA triple Science
AQA Spanish
AQA English Lang/ lit
Edexcel Maths
Eduqas geography b
WJEC religious studies B
BTEC business lvl 2

I highly recommend condensing your information as flashcards or mind maps or summary pages for each topic and subject. Also EXAM QUESTIONS they are key because practice helps you get used to technique. And check your board specification to see what they expect you to know. I didn’t revise most of the time because it naturally came to me, but I’m expecting to come out with mainly 8/9 and a couple of 7s.
I started in yr 11 December/ January. Ofc I didnt know all the content. I only relearn the stuff I couldnt remember or weak at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending