username4272282
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Unless I've misunderstood the definition of population density, I would have thought that the risk of extinction would be higher with high population densities.

At least from what I know, population density is something about how close in contact members of a population are with each other, NOT how big/small a population is (?). In this case, say if a disease were to enter a population, would the risk of extinction as a result of this disease not be much higher at HIGH population densities, as individuals are closer together and thus more likely/able to transmit the disease? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Cookie0799
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree with your reasoning and I don't know what the actual answer is, but it could be related to likelihood of finding a mate at low population density? Alternatively could it be a correlation not causation situation - higher population density likely means a more successful population in general and not as small numbers?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
4.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
15.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (5)
11.36%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (4)
9.09%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (18)
40.91%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
18.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed