The Student Room Group

Single sex or mixed gender accommodation?

I have chosen a 5 bed flat but have to make the decision on whether I should go single sex or mixed. I'm presuming most people usually go mixed as it asks me specifically 'would you prefer single sex'.
I have gone to an all boys school for 7 years now, so am much more comfortable with guys and am quite shy tbh.
If I go mixed what is the chance I could be put with 4 girls which would be awkward?
Who normally goes single gender (is it mainly for religious reasons or are they more comfortable with the same sex)
Original post by etienne26
I have chosen a 5 bed flat but have to make the decision on whether I should go single sex or mixed. I'm presuming most people usually go mixed as it asks me specifically 'would you prefer single sex'.
I have gone to an all boys school for 7 years now, so am much more comfortable with guys and am quite shy tbh.
If I go mixed what is the chance I could be put with 4 girls which would be awkward?
Who normally goes single gender (is it mainly for religious reasons or are they more comfortable with the same sex)

Unlikely I think it would be 3:2.
If you are uncomfy then just do all male and it might be a bit of a lads house.
On the other hand you might want to start getting used to females at some stage.

Its really more important as to whom you get put with rather than gender.
Original post by etienne26

Normally it is a 3 to 2 ratio and not 4 of one gender (though I did hear of one scenario where this boy was the only one in his flat but the uni fixed it before moving it because that shouldn't have happened).
It's up to you.

Quick Reply

Latest