The Student Room Group

apprenticeship query

I have a query regarding who decides when your apprenticeship is completed.

I have been in an apprenticeship since September 2016. the course is a NVQ l3 extended diploma. my estimated completion date is October 2020 (according to my training provider).

My employer when I started with them part way though the course in April 2018 only gave me a contract till September 2019, because they wanted me to finish early. I didn't finish on that date so they extended my contract until march 2020, to which I didn't finish all the relevant work. they extended it again until 01/06/2020 (yesterday). Yesterday I had a meeting in the office and was told that they are giving me a 1 week extension which takes me up to 08/06/2020. After that they are not going to renew my contract.

My question is this. Can my employer do this even though the training provider has stated that I am due to complete in October of this year?
Original post by whereswally92
I have a query regarding who decides when your apprenticeship is completed.

I have been in an apprenticeship since September 2016. the course is a NVQ l3 extended diploma. my estimated completion date is October 2020 (according to my training provider).

My employer when I started with them part way though the course in April 2018 only gave me a contract till September 2019, because they wanted me to finish early. I didn't finish on that date so they extended my contract until march 2020, to which I didn't finish all the relevant work. they extended it again until 01/06/2020 (yesterday). Yesterday I had a meeting in the office and was told that they are giving me a 1 week extension which takes me up to 08/06/2020. After that they are not going to renew my contract.

My question is this. Can my employer do this even though the training provider has stated that I am due to complete in October of this year?

well is it their fault for not giving you the work to do to complete it? or did you fail to meet a deadline? as it looks like they've broke their original promise/contract tbh and that's illegal isn't it??
They wanted me to complete my apprenticeship earlier than the date the training provider has given them. So they only did my contract to fit in with when they wanted me to finish not with when the training provider has stated I will finish...hope that makes sense?
They wanted me to complete my apprenticeship earlier than the date the training provider has given them. So they only did my contract to fit in with when they wanted me to finish not with when the training provider has stated I will finish...hope that makes sense?

ohh I understand. well if it's still on/before the date that the training provider wanted you to finish it on then I guess you can't really do anything as you're still getting it at the "expected date" if that makes sense.
Original post by ladyalpatera
ohh I understand. well if it's still on/before the date that the training provider wanted you to finish it on then I guess you can't really do anything as you're still getting it at the "expected date" if that makes sense.

Im not getting anything if I don't have a job...they are not renewing my contract after 08/06 and I haven't finished the work required.
Im not getting anything if I don't have a job...they are not renewing my contract after 08/06 and I haven't finished the work required.

wait so they aren't giving it to you? isn't that illegalnn
wait so they aren't giving it to you? isn't that illegalnn

this is what I am trying to figure out.
this is what I am trying to figure out.

tell the apprenticeship provider program then
tell the apprenticeship provider program then

I have. they just said that's not good.
I have. they just said that's not good.

well it probably is illegal in some way. it's definitely unprofessional
well it probably is illegal in some way. it's definitely unprofessional

when you say you wont be finished how far off are you? as in how many jobs do you nedd to complete and write up?
doesnt sound very reasonable but when you got the original 6 month extention how much was left to finish etc
Original post by endless sky
when you say you wont be finished how far off are you? as in how many jobs do you nedd to complete and write up?
doesnt sound very reasonable but when you got the original 6 month extention how much was left to finish etc

I have finished my folder work. I just have some paperwork that is in college that needs amending. but I and non of the assessors can get into college to get the relevant paperwork.
I have finished my folder work. I just have some paperwork that is in college that needs amending. but I and non of the assessors can get into college to get the relevant paperwork.

Well if i was you i'd speak to your assessor and a person from college if they are different people n at least you should come away with the qualification, they may have some form of learner support service who can advise on anything else you can do related to your employer but at least youd have the qualification.
does sound like your getting the raw end of the deal as i imagine you cant go on site currently at college n havent since march time.

also its not in the colleges favour to have anyone fail as they are assessed on both not completed and not completed in a timely manner for the apprentices they are assessing. if you dont complete they also dont get the funding i dont think. thats how the assessor for my apprentice at work explained it anyway (currently a workplace mentor).
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending