mae0585
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, I'm struggling to choose between economics and physics for one of my A levels. The other subjects that I am doing are maths, further maths and history. I'm interested in doing either an economics degree or a maths degree but I still want to keep my options open. Economics would work well for either of these degrees, however, it isn't facilitating and I'm worried that unis such as Oxford or LSE may view it as a 'soft' subject. Whereas physics would also work for these subjects and would keep my options open
valexr
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I suggest you to choose Economics is a very fun and easy subject for A levels. Now economics as a uni degree is fun but it comes with a statistics part which is not fun at all but it should be pretty easy if you can cope with further maths. I did Politics Economics and Law and I got rejected by LSE. I think you are more likely to get in one of them for an Econ degree since maths and further maths are already pretty strong. Physics and history might be considered a litle bit more irrelevant to an Econ degree as for me Politics and Law was but I think you should be fine choosing Economics for an A level subject.
Sh0ts1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by mae0585)
Hi, I'm struggling to choose between economics and physics for one of my A levels. The other subjects that I am doing are maths, further maths and history. I'm interested in doing either an economics degree or a maths degree but I still want to keep my options open. Economics would work well for either of these degrees, however, it isn't facilitating and I'm worried that unis such as Oxford or LSE may view it as a 'soft' subject. Whereas physics would also work for these subjects and would keep my options open
Hey buddy,

I do maths physics and economics my self,i actually also did history but dropped it

I am no careers adviser or uni expert ( im in year 12)
But from what ive heard and learnt from my teachers + school advisers is that:

Considering u want to to econ (BSc i assume with that fm alevel !) or maths degree I personally would definitely take physics.

Physics alevel is largely mathematical from my experience and with that FM youre clearly a strong mathematician and also given u want to do maths at uni also, you shouldnt find (at least the math part of) physics too hard.

Economics Alevel wont really help you for econ BSc at uni (from what my econ teachers have told me) and ur FM alevel will do truckloads more for ur Econ application at uni than Econ alevel would. economics at a level is far more the BA Degree version of econ, not the BSc side - the side if your goal is money you would take (to become a Investment banker, or work in finance/stocks).

Physics alevel shows you are a intelligent, analytical and sharp individual, Physics alevel is also regarded as one of the hardest alevels and if your desired unis are in the bracket of oxbridge/lse they will want the brightest people - an A* at physics alevel will undoubtedly be a mark of high intelligence.

In my personal opinion, i would take physics over econ (for the Maths/econ degree), although economics alevel ive found to be so so so so much more interesting and engaging than physics. Ultimately, once school resumes or via email, id have a proper sit down with your schools careers/uni advisor or your head of year for more advice.

I hope i was of some help!
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Economics shouldn’t be viewed as a soft subject - it isn’t a really easy A Level, it still requires a lot of work and has very specific exam technique, although in my opinion, I did find Physics A Level harder. I’d say that with Maths, Further Maths and History, you’re already well placed to make a competitive application, and so you should pick the subject that you enjoy more and would do better at. Physics would be preferred for Maths degrees, whilst Economics would be preferred for Economics degrees. So, I would say pick whichever one you enjoy more and would get the best grade at, but if it’s roughly equal then I’d lean towards Economics, as having a good grasp of basic theory will be incredibly helpful for Oxbridge economics interviews, if you choose to apply for an Economics degree. If it is offered it is probably advisable to take it, as although Economics A Level isn’t required, many applicants for competitive Economics degrees will probably have it and it could raise questions if you had the chance to take it but didn’t pick it.

Best of luck with your choice
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Mona123456)
Economics shouldn’t be viewed as a soft subject - it isn’t a really easy A Level, it still requires a lot of work and has very specific exam technique, although in my opinion, I did find Physics A Level harder. I’d say that with Maths, Further Maths and History, you’re already well placed to make a competitive application, and so you should pick the subject that you enjoy more and would do better at. Physics would be preferred for Maths degrees, whilst Economics would be preferred for Economics degrees. So, I would say pick whichever one you enjoy more and would get the best grade at, but if it’s roughly equal then I’d lean towards Economics, as having a good grasp of basic theory will be incredibly helpful for Oxbridge economics interviews, if you choose to apply for an Economics degree. If it is offered it is probably advisable to take it, as although Economics A Level isn’t required, many applicants for competitive Economics degrees will probably have it and it could raise questions if you had the chance to take it but didn’t pick it.

It's not even a soft A level and no A levels are seen as soft after A levels were changed.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Whether you take economics or physics, it wouldnt hinder you for both degrees. Facilitating subjects doesnt matter anymore except for one college in Cambridge so you'll be fine. It's definitely not a soft subject and Economics is preferred subject for LSE that I defo know about. Choose whatever you enjoy more tbh as both works for your subjects and degrees
mae0585
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sh0ts1)
Hey buddy,

I do maths physics and economics my self,i actually also did history but dropped it

I am no careers adviser or uni expert ( im in year 12)
But from what ive heard and learnt from my teachers + school advisers is that:

Considering u want to to econ (BSc i assume with that fm alevel !) or maths degree I personally would definitely take physics.

Physics alevel is largely mathematical from my experience and with that FM youre clearly a strong mathematician and also given u want to do maths at uni also, you shouldnt find (at least the math part of) physics too hard.

Economics Alevel wont really help you for econ BSc at uni (from what my econ teachers have told me) and ur FM alevel will do truckloads more for ur Econ application at uni than Econ alevel would. economics at a level is far more the BA Degree version of econ, not the BSc side - the side if your goal is money you would take (to become a Investment banker, or work in finance/stocks).

Physics alevel shows you are a intelligent, analytical and sharp individual, Physics alevel is also regarded as one of the hardest alevels and if your desired unis are in the bracket of oxbridge/lse they will want the brightest people - an A* at physics alevel will undoubtedly be a mark of high intelligence.

In my personal opinion, i would take physics over econ (for the Maths/econ degree), although economics alevel ive found to be so so so so much more interesting and engaging than physics. Ultimately, once school resumes or via email, id have a proper sit down with your schools careers/uni advisor or your head of year for more advice.

I hope i was of some help!
Thank you so much !! What exam board did you do and which subject is more content heavy?
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
i would take physics if i were you, if that's helpful. keps options open. more of a hardcore subject. just my opnion
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
lse include economics on their list of preferred subjects

economics is good fun and it'll help you with degree level economics a bit although because it dumbs stuff down you need to be willing to forget some of it

physics is definitely harder for the average person
mae0585
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mona123456)

Thank you ! I'm leading toward economics at the moment but I'm still a bit unsure. I'm just researching the two and then going to make a decision on results day
mae0585
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Whether you take economics or physics, it wouldnt hinder you for both degrees. Facilitating subjects doesnt matter anymore except for one college in Cambridge so you'll be fine. It's definitely not a soft subject and Economics is preferred subject for LSE that I defo know about. Choose whatever you enjoy more tbh as both works for your subjects and degrees
Ah okay thank you
haidster.1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Without a doubt economics, considering your other subjects are maths heavy you need a mixture otherwise you would not love sixth form and or your work.

Economics isnt a soft subject bro, many unis appreciate it especially LSE, you'll also improve ur essay writing and communication skills with economics.

Physics on the other hand, very maths heavy like ur other two subjects, also harder to obtain a good grade and maintain a good level of work in.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I would take physics.

You don’t need economics a-level to study it at uni, and you have history so have the essay subject box ticked.

Physics will open up more STEM options at uni should you change your mind.
Sh0ts1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thank you so much !! What exam board did you do and which subject is more content heavy?
OCR physics and i think Edexcel history. history was more content heavy as physics is more applying the stuff you know to 101 situations. Also for history the textbook is tiny, in our school we were given 7 200-400 books to read as part of thecourse and were told the textbook "would do well to give us a B grade", so basically the official textbook was a bit wack and instead u need to do loads of wider reading. take physics imo !!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (401)
56.32%
I don't have everything I need (311)
43.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise