Not sure whether to do chemistry a level?

Watch
The-judge-16
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Please help!

I’m really unsure about doing chemistry a level! I just find it soooo hard, most universities require it for the degrees I am looking to do though unfortunately. The other a levels I’m doing are biology and sociology. I was considering doing biology, sociology and geography instead of chemistry. The degrees I’m looking to apply for are biology, pharmacy, biomedical science, geology. Any help will be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
The-judge-16
Hxlly078
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Chemistry is one of the hardest a-levels you can take. A-B students at GCSE start the chemistry course getting E's and U's. It takes a lot of work and your maths has to be really good. I took Chemistry and did appalling after getting Bs at GCSE. If you didn't do exceptionally at GCSE and you don't actually enjoy chemistry its not for you. Chemistry was the most dropped out of course at my school. And after I loved it at GCSE I ended up despising it. Sorry that this blunt.

Hope this helps, take care
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hxlly078)
Chemistry is one of the hardest a-levels you can take. A-B students at GCSE start the chemistry course getting E's and U's. It takes a lot of work and your maths has to be really good. I took Chemistry and did appalling after getting Bs at GCSE. If you didn't do exceptionally at GCSE and you don't actually enjoy chemistry its not for you. Chemistry was the most dropped out of course at my school. And after I loved it at GCSE I ended up despising it. Sorry that this blunt.

Hope this helps, take care
Thank you so much honestly, I think I will drop it. Tbh I don’t even enjoy it that much!
Hxlly078
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by The-judge-16)
Thank you so much honestly, I think I will drop it. Tbh I don’t even enjoy it that much!
I took chemistry, biology and psychology and I enjoyed the other two but honestly I wish I hadn't took chem
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
I took chemistry, biology and psychology and I enjoyed the other two but honestly I wish I hadn't took chem
I know, it’s so hard! Probably harder than physics tbh
Hxlly078
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Physical chemistry is heavily maths and remembering equations
Inorganic chemistry is remembering a million trends
An organic is nomenclature and structure and isomers - the only thing that really made sense to me

It was the math a level students that tended to get the good grades tbh
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
Physical chemistry is heavily maths and remembering equations
Inorganic chemistry is remembering a million trends
An organic is nomenclature and structure and isomers - the only thing that really made sense to me

It was the math a level students that tended to get the good grades tbh
Yh I can relate there. My friend does maths/further maths and gets As in chemistry already (he’s in year 12)
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
Is biology a lot easier than chemistry?
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you don't enjoy chemistry GCSE then surely it's worth reconsidering whether you'd enjoy or be able to get through a degree with possibly a lot of chemistry in?
Hxlly078
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by The-judge-16)
Is biology a lot easier than chemistry?
Yes by far. I really enjoyed biology. And a lot of it builds off GCSE knowledge
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by _gcx)
If you don't enjoy chemistry GCSE then surely it's worth reconsidering whether you'd enjoy or be able to get through a degree with possibly a lot of chemistry in?
The-judge-16, this is a really important point. Essentially all of the degrees you've said you're interested in (with the possible exception of biology) will involve chemistry that is at or above A Level Chemistry. Regardless of whether you do A Level Chemistry or not, you will not be able to avoid the subject if you intend to do one of the degrees you've listed. If you decide against doing A Level Chemistry and go for one of those degrees anyway, you're just kicking the can down the road.
Last edited by Plagioclase; 2 months ago
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
The-judge-16, this is a really important point. Essentially all of the degrees you've said you're interested in (with the possible exception of biology) will involve chemistry that is at or above A Level Chemistry. Regardless of whether you do A Level Chemistry or not, you will not be able to avoid the subject if you intend to do one of the degrees you've listed. If you decide against doing A Level Chemistry and go for one of those degrees anyway, you're just kicking the can down the road.
Thank you Plagioclase your message that you have conveyed is true now I come to think of it.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you like biology but are more interested in social science subjects like sociology and geography alongside that, you may want to instead consider courses in e.g. human sciences, biological/evolutionary anthropology, psychology, or archaeology and/or anthropology. Those generally do not have much chemistry emphasis, and combine elements of the biological and social sciences (with specific reference to humans and non-human primates generally).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (74)
40.44%
Take autumn exams (61)
33.33%
Look for a job (5)
2.73%
Consider an apprenticeship (6)
3.28%
Take a year out (26)
14.21%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
6.01%

Watched Threads