AnonymousLobster
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, I am in Year 10 right now but have started the process of deciding on A-Levels. I don't know what I want to do for University but I enjoy maths, most of the sciences, financial maths, logic and thought.Currently, I am thinking of doing Double Maths, Physics, then I can't decide between Economics, Psychology or Philosophy. I really don't enjoy writing essays and would probably be able to do 4 subjects but it would be difficult with Double Maths. I've also considered the IB but I dislike the writing in English and languages. Any help would be appreciated, just in how much science, maths or logic is in each of those 3 subjects and how much essay writing I'd have to do. Thanks!
lsc2002
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by AnonymousLobster)
Hi, I am in Year 10 right now but have started the process of deciding on A-Levels. I don't know what I want to do for University but I enjoy maths, most of the sciences, financial maths, logic and thought.Currently, I am thinking of doing Double Maths, Physics, then I can't decide between Economics, Psychology or Philosophy. I really don't enjoy writing essays and would probably be able to do 4 subjects but it would be difficult with Double Maths. I've also considered the IB but I dislike the writing in English and languages. Any help would be appreciated, just in how much science, maths or logic is in each of those 3 subjects and how much essay writing I'd have to do. Thanks!
If you don’t like writing essays I strongly suggest you don’t take philosophy 😂 either economics or psychology would be good, I don’t know too much about either of them, but psychology will probably be a bit more “different” than your other subjects compared to economics.
chloenix
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Don't even think about A-Levels yet! Year 11 is the time to start thinking. Your tastes will develop as you go into year 11, because the content becomes harder and more challenging. In Year 10 I wanted to be a doctor and study biology, physics and chemistry at A Level but the second I got into year 11, I changed my mind completely and ended up picking 4 essay subjects!
Not to mention, your GCSE results are honestly the deciding factor. Most people I know decided their a level subjects on results day! So whilst I understand your worry, please don't think about it now you have plenty of time!
ndfa1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hey! It sounds like A-Levels have changed a lot more since I've done them, but I still think the same principles apply. From my understanding, doing four A Levels was extremely difficult and many struggled, so many kept it at 3, which is the wisest option in my opinion. I done Maths, Spanish and Sociology (DT in year 12, then dropped it), and these were very different to each other, which kept my options open. This is good especially for Uni as to broadens the spectrum for you. If you dislike/aren't good at essays, you'll find that you probably have to do a minimum of one essay per week with a subject like psychology or philosophy (so 2 if you do both); bear this in mind. In regards to the IB, feel free to do that, but I heard that it can be quite a strain, but of course everybody is different! At the end of the day, whether you do A Levels, or the IB, you'll end up all in the same mix once/if you go to uni, and you'll save yourself a headache by just doing regular A Levels. Obviously, these are biased to my opinion, so ask a range of people on what the best steps are, then make your own informed decision. Hope this helps! Xx
AnonymousLobster
Rep:
?
(Original post by chloenix)
Don't even think about A-Levels yet! Year 11 is the time to start thinking. Your tastes will develop as you go into year 11, because the content becomes harder and more challenging. In Year 10 I wanted to be a doctor and study biology, physics and chemistry at A Level but the second I got into year 11, I changed my mind completely and ended up picking 4 essay subjects!
Not to mention, your GCSE results are honestly the deciding factor. Most people I know decided their a level subjects on results day! So whilst I understand your worry, please don't think about it now you have plenty of time!
For my area, at least, the applications are collected in in January and I have to have my application finalised by Christmas. I won't get the option to change subjects nearly as late as that.
AnonymousLobster
Rep:
?
(Original post by Natashaanku)
Hey! It sounds like A-Levels have changed a lot more since I've done them, but I still think the same principles apply. From my understanding, doing four A Levels was extremely difficult and many struggled, so many kept it at 3, which is the wisest option in my opinion. I done Maths, Spanish and Sociology (DT in year 12, then dropped it), and these were very different to each other, which kept my options open. This is good especially for Uni as to broadens the spectrum for you. If you dislike/aren't good at essays, you'll find that you probably have to do a minimum of one essay per week with a subject like psychology or philosophy (so 2 if you do both); bear this in mind. In regards to the IB, feel free to do that, but I heard that it can be quite a strain, but of course everybody is different! At the end of the day, whether you do A Levels, or the IB, you'll end up all in the same mix once/if you go to uni, and you'll save yourself a headache by just doing regular A Levels. Obviously, these are biased to my opinion, so ask a range of people on what the best steps are, then make your own informed decision. Hope this helps! Xx
In terms of an essay a week, do you mean at A-Level or at University? I've also heard that Economics has a fair amount of essays, but other sites I've read portray it as very maths-based, so I'm a bit confused.
Possibly this
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
A-level Economics really has relatively little maths in it, although this changes at degree level. Although there is a lot of interpreting graphs and some basic calculation. It's mostly essays in terms of the final exams, however the essays are far more formulaic than in other essay-based subjects. If you dislike writing essays, all the 3 of the subjects you're looking at don't look like a brilliant idea. However you still may have a shot with Economics due to it being structured differently and less essay-focused.
chloenix
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
For my area, at least, the applications are collected in in January and I have to have my application finalised by Christmas. I won't get the option to change subjects nearly as late as that.
That's very odd, and I'm sure schools aren't allowed to do that. Changing your a levels according to your results makes sense because if you don't get into your desired course, you can't do 2 a levels? I think they mean you have to place your first application but that is changeable later on.
ndfa1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
In terms of an essay a week, do you mean at A-Level or at University? I've also heard that Economics has a fair amount of essays, but other sites I've read portray it as very maths-based, so I'm a bit confused.
Hey, I was talking about a levels. Maths has no essays
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (69)
18.16%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (108)
28.42%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (143)
37.63%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
12.63%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.16%

Watched Threads