shreyapv
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Please could I have some recommendations for useful resources to help me get a 9, or any good revision methods?
$hea
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by shreyapv)
Please could I have some recommendations for useful resources to help me get a 9, or any good revision methods?
Have you looked at notes on physicsandmaths tutor? that's one place they have some good resources
username4953776
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Sorry I do Edexcel B geography 😂
But I would say it's important to remember all the stats and facts from all ur case studies in any exam board
shreyapv
Rep:
?
(Original post by $hea)
Have you looked at notes on physicsandmaths tutor? that's one place they have some good resources
It says the GCSE section is coming this summer?
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i found seneca learning useful, and primrose kitten on youtube (who mostly does science gcse vids) also did a video where she went through all the content of paper 1 in an hour or two!
$hea
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It says the GCSE section is coming this summer?
It does say that...
Sorry, I thought it was on there because I am an A level student.
But if it does open they have good resources.
Hope this helps
mabelkabutey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
for me personally practice papers worked the best for me because you can develop your exam technique
i also made online flash cards for my case studies which made remembering case study details a lot easier 😁
archivalzebra
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, I’ve just finished year 11 & I’m predicted a 9 in AQA geography & i got a 9 in my mock. It’s not all about the revision in geography, but more the exam technique and having a geographical response to things. When you see a statistic or fact, always think of how this could benefit people/the economy/the environment - depending on what the question asks for. Eg 55% of people in Rio don’t have adequate access to healthcare. This would mean that the death rate would be much higher, people wouldn’t be as healthy so quality of life would be poor, and a lot less people would be working as they’re not fit enough to work. This is very useful as often you’re asked questions about places you’ve never seen before. As for remembering facts and processes, the CGP book is really good for the later human geography content. DO NOT RELY ON IT FOR PHYSICAL PROCESSES!!! Instead, look at your class textbook as CGP, although they make it look more simple, they miss out a lot of the key names for processes when looking at formations (eg hydraulic action/abrasion in the formation of a cave/arc/stack/stump). Do mock answers for describing processes as the questions on these rarely change & don’t forget to draw the diagrams as it helps visualise the process and you might get asked to do this in the exam. As for case studies, find a few facts and statistics that you’ve used in 9/6 markers & put them onto a quizlet. Use facts that can be linked to a range of questions and are quite easy to remember. I formatted mine so that it was like a question, eg. how many species of fish in ....? 150. I’m not sure if we do the same case studies, but my username in swright30 if you want to look at them as this was they most useful tool i found for remembering case studies! For 9 markers, it’s just finding a structure that works & practise, practise, practice! If you need help with this/anything else, feel free to ask me!
shreyapv
Rep:
?
(Original post by archivalzebra)
Hi, I’ve just finished year 11 & I’m predicted a 9 in AQA geography & i got a 9 in my mock. It’s not all about the revision in geography, but more the exam technique and having a geographical response to things. When you see a statistic or fact, always think of how this could benefit people/the economy/the environment - depending on what the question asks for. Eg 55% of people in Rio don’t have adequate access to healthcare. This would mean that the death rate would be much higher, people wouldn’t be as healthy so quality of life would be poor, and a lot less people would be working as they’re not fit enough to work. This is very useful as often you’re asked questions about places you’ve never seen before. As for remembering facts and processes, the CGP book is really good for the later human geography content. DO NOT RELY ON IT FOR PHYSICAL PROCESSES!!! Instead, look at your class textbook as CGP, although they make it look more simple, they miss out a lot of the key names for processes when looking at formations (eg hydraulic action/abrasion in the formation of a cave/arc/stack/stump). Do mock answers for describing processes as the questions on these rarely change & don’t forget to draw the diagrams as it helps visualise the process and you might get asked to do this in the exam. As for case studies, find a few facts and statistics that you’ve used in 9/6 markers & put them onto a quizlet. Use facts that can be linked to a range of questions and are quite easy to remember. I formatted mine so that it was like a question, eg. how many species of fish in ....? 150. I’m not sure if we do the same case studies, but my username in swright30 if you want to look at them as this was they most useful tool i found for remembering case studies! For 9 markers, it’s just finding a structure that works & practise, practise, practice! If you need help with this/anything else, feel free to ask me!
omg thank you so much aha i wish i was as clever as you ! you sound like a natural at geography! I will definitely have a look at your quizlet and buy that cgp book. We haven't even been given a geography textbook so I'm pretty lost right now. I got a 7 in my mock and I really wanna get the 9 because I had no idea how to write so much in the exam questions for the mock because I just forgot loads of information.
shreyapv
Rep:
?
(Original post by mabelkabutey)
for me personally practice papers worked the best for me because you can develop your exam technique
i also made online flash cards for my case studies which made remembering case study details a lot easier 😁
I see lots of people recommending flashcards I'll definitely try that
shreyapv
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
i found seneca learning useful, and primrose kitten on youtube (who mostly does science gcse vids) also did a video where she went through all the content of paper 1 in an hour or two!
Oh I love seneca but i only found out about it recently but I'm definitely going to be using it more and thank you for the youtube suggestion!
archivalzebra
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
omg thank you so much aha i wish i was as clever as you ! you sound like a natural at geography! I will definitely have a look at your quizlet and buy that cgp book. We haven't even been given a geography textbook so I'm pretty lost right now. I got a 7 in my mock and I really wanna get the 9 because I had no idea how to write so much in the exam questions for the mock because I just forgot loads of information.
you’re welcome! & it just takes practice, with a 7 in your mock it’s highly likely that you’ll get a 9 in the real thing. just keep going & try to memorise info and don’t worry about writing loads, as long as you add development to your points by saying how something would affect the area (ofc linking it to the question in 9 markers you’ll get into level 3. keep going - you’re doing amazing! Oh, and for the class textbook we used the one by simon ross, it’s on amazon for about £26 if you wanna buy it. If you’re not willing to spend this much (honestly you don’t need to), they also have a revision guide which is cheaper and this should include the correct info for physical geography - I’ll have to check tho but I’ll get back to you!
Last edited by archivalzebra; 4 months ago
lemon_meringue
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi there! I recently found this site where you can buy notes and this link will take you to some amazing GCSE Geography summary exam style questions with example answers. They basically act as well condensed notes but you’re automatically doing more active instead of passive revision as the information is posed as an exam question.

https://www.stuvia.co.uk/search?s=GC...kfilter=&page=

Copy and paste this link into your browser to find some of her stuff.

The student who made them got all 8s and 9s for her GCSEs two years ago. Check them out, they’re really useful!! I know the prices may not look great but she’s cut them down by more than 50% than it was originally and the Geography ones are soooo worth it! I would definitely recommend you buy the bundle as that makes it even cheaper!

Let me know what you think!
lemon_meringue
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lemon_meringue)
Hi there! I recently found this site where you can buy notes and this link will take you to some amazing GCSE Geography summary exam style questions with example answers. They basically act as well condensed notes but you’re automatically doing more active instead of passive revision as the information is posed as an exam question.

https://www.stuvia.co.uk/search?s=GC...kfilter=&page=

Copy and paste this link into your browser to find some of her stuff.

The student who made them got all 8s and 9s for her GCSEs two years ago. Check them out, they’re really useful!! I know the prices may not look great but she’s cut them down by more than 50% than it was originally and the Geography ones are soooo worth it! I would definitely recommend you buy the bundle as that makes it even cheaper!

Let me know what you think!
If you want to buy the notes on the site for even cheaper feel free to dm her on IG or Twitter @afrxdaa, I’m sure she’ll be happy to help
Tkt12345
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hey i did aqa too last year and got a grade 8, despite only getting 5s in lesson. The textbook i've linked is SO GOOD its pretty much all i used.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Geogra...s=books&sr=1-4

the textbook explains everything well and is easy to understand. it also has all the case studies you know with all the statistics. i know you said you haven't been given a textbook but not sure if you mean to take home or not been using one at school? But if your teacher has one at school ask her if you can take photos of the textbook or photocopy it. If you're not going back to school until September and want resources now, try and buy a used copy of the textbook, as they're much cheaper. You can get used copies off of amazon, depop etc.
I bought the CGP revision guide but honestly didnt find it very useful. i hardly used it and think i only used it for a river case study.
If you like i can send you photos of my flashcards and i think i have some case study sheets somewhere.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (77)
13.95%
I'm not sure (24)
4.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (177)
32.07%
I have already dropped out (11)
1.99%
I'm not a current university student (263)
47.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise