The Student Room Group

TSP Intake 2020 Colleagues

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by StevenP83
Happy to answer any questions anyone might have about the role etc, look forward to working with some of you!

Are the tutorials online or in person? Do we work from home (before covid-19) for tutorials? Do you move teams over the 3 years?
Original post by Heldol
Are the tutorials online or in person? Do we work from home (before covid-19) for tutorials? Do you move teams over the 3 years?

At the moment our tutorials are paused due to Covid-19, and for a few weeks before they were paused we did them online. Prior to that though, they were face to face, although people on the Alternative Working Pattern TSP do theirs online all the time, I believe.

Your study days are from home if you want them to be, or you could come into the office and book a private room or area if that works better for you.

After the first year of the TSP you are streamed to the team that you’ll be working on for stages 2 and 3, but you’ll still have tutorials for stage 2 with your cohort, and in Edinburgh at least, trainees still work very closely all through the course and beyond.
Reply 22
Original post by Gembob92
What department are you in? I know another person who got Cardiff as we've worked together previously :smile:

Hello. I'm currently working in Mid sized Business. Which are you in?
At the moment our tutorials are paused due to Covid-19, and for a few weeks before they were paused we did them online. Prior to that though, they were face to face, although people on the Alternative Working Pattern TSP do theirs online all the time, I believe.

Your study days are from home if you want them to be, or you could come into the office and book a private room or area if that works better for you.

After the first year of the TSP you are streamed to the team that you’ll be working on for stages 2 and 3, but you’ll still have tutorials for stage 2 with your cohort, and in Edinburgh at least, trainees still work very closely all through the course and beyond.

I've heard that they'll be streaming you into your team from the beginning this year?
Original post by ash-jm
Hello. I'm currently working in Mid sized Business. Which are you in?

I'm ISBC C&A currently on indirect taxes - I know one or two people in MSB - your user name is actually really similar to the initials of someone I know there haha!
Reply 25
Hi,

Can I ask will exams be over 2 or 3 years for us?

Also how many exams will we have in total?
I've heard that they'll be streaming you into your team from the beginning this year?

I haven’t heard that and I’d be surprised if that was the case, often managers look at how TSPs work and what their strengths are when deciding where it it would be best to stream people to. It would be difficult for a manager to know what their staff are best at if they stream immediately but if you’ve heard from someone official then they’ll be correct!
I haven’t heard that and I’d be surprised if that was the case, often managers look at how TSPs work and what their strengths are when deciding where it it would be best to stream people to. It would be difficult for a manager to know what their staff are best at if they stream immediately but if you’ve heard from someone official then they’ll be correct!

I doubt I can say from someone official, but a few people who are on the 18/19 TSP's are suggesting it but it could just be rumors to be fair - you know what people can be like ha!
Reply 28
I've also heard that people will be streaming from the get go. Which is odd, because you'd think they would want to guage people's strengths and weaknesses and appoint them based on where they would thrive.
Reply 29
Hi everyone, I’ve also accepted an offer this week for Leeds. Really happy to have got through!

With regard to the study days, is that a set day for everyone or can you choose which day to take as your study day?

Also does anyone have more info about alternative working? I’m requesting slightly different hours and a bit worried about how it’ll work/whether it’ll be approved. Are there many people that do this or are majority full-time/standard hours?
Reply 30
Original post by BuddyHR
Hi everyone, I’ve also accepted an offer this week for Leeds. Really happy to have got through!

With regard to the study days, is that a set day for everyone or can you choose which day to take as your study day?

Also does anyone have more info about alternative working? I’m requesting slightly different hours and a bit worried about how it’ll work/whether it’ll be approved. Are there many people that do this or are majority full-time/standard hours?

You can choose and adjust your study days, as long as this doesn’t interfere with you office work/days
Original post by BuddyHR

Hi. Im also in Leeds and have an offer for Leeds too. Im also interested in AWP and just thinking through what to submit. Are you internal?
Original post by User7860
Hi. Im also in Leeds and have an offer for Leeds too. Im also interested in AWP and just thinking through what to submit. Are you internal?

@BuddyHR - Hi both! I've accepted my Leeds offer :smile: I am also internal; started working for HMRC in February 2019 (and I work with User7860 already so that's brilliant for both of us!)
I doubt I can say from someone official, but a few people who are on the 18/19 TSP's are suggesting it but it could just be rumors to be fair - you know what people can be like ha!

I know exactly what they’re like, and I would say a valuable thing to remember on the TSP is that you shouldn’t believe anyone but your manager about changes to the course or you’ll be at your wit’s end for your entire course!
Reply 34
Original post by Toyz N The Hood
Also Nottingham! And internal :smile:

I am Nottingham and internal also :smile: what dept do you work in?
Original post by shyamgohil
Well done all.. I accepted my place for Nottingham! Doesn’t seem to be a lot of us on this forum that has chose this location that I’ve seen though!.. I’m also internal so no background checks necessary, think it’s just a internal check to see if you have a disciplinary record etc..

Also Nottingham, and internal :smile: Looking forward to it all. Shame we can't meet up in Amenities!
Original post by BGreen
I am Nottingham and internal also :smile: what dept do you work in?

RIS Change Team at the moment although it's a Temporary Promotion - so i'm glad this has worked out :smile:

Go to the Castle Meadow Board Gamers page and I'll pop a post up if you'd like to chat!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 37
What's the dress code like? In my current, external office we just wear whatever we want (so most people live in jeans and t shirts) and I'm wondering if I'll need to buy a load of grown up clothes?!
Original post by StraCat
What's the dress code like? In my current, external office we just wear whatever we want (so most people live in jeans and t shirts) and I'm wondering if I'll need to buy a load of grown up clothes?!

Pretty much the same, although there were a lot of opportunities for customer meetings that needed something a bit smarter (obviously that was pre-Covid). Don’t buy a whole new wardrobe, but definitely have some smart options too.
Is there a deadline for submitting the pre-employment checks? I am still waiting for the TA to email me back (I emailed them on Monday...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending