The Student Room Group

TSP Intake 2020 Colleagues

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by shyamgohil
Does anyone know how the salary works throughout the programme? So I know we’ll all start on the essentially the same salary as a HO.. however does this change throughout the years prior to G7 promotion? E.g. after two years if we pass all our exams does the salary increase?

No the promotion is at the end, so the tsp 17’s who started in sept 17, will get their first g7 paycheck this August, after 3 year course, 2 year exams and 1 year consolidation
Original post by Jk-on
No the promotion is at the end, so the tsp 17’s who started in sept 17, will get their first g7 paycheck this August, after 3 year course, 2 year exams and 1 year consolidation

That makes sense, I appreciate G7 paycheck won’t come until after completion of the programme, I was more so referring to incremental increases in the salary for getting to certain points in the programme as an example 30k to 35k for passing all exams? I myself probably doubt that’s the case but thought I’d ask as I’m just assuming! Haha
Reply 82
Does anyone know how the salary works throughout the programme? So I know we’ll all start on the essentially the same salary as a HO.. however does this change throughout the years prior to G7 promotion? E.g. after two years if we pass all our exams does the salary increase?

Salary will be the same throughout, other than any (very) minor increases in the annual pay award.

There used to be an increase at (or after) the midpoint of the course, subjecting to passing stage 1, but that was done away with when they increased the starting salary to be inline with HO pay and cut the course down from 4 to 3 years.

The midpoint payrise was meant to reflect the additional responsibilities being undertaken at that point in the course, but it's hard to argue that's the case after only 1 year/2 years now. If anything, you still wouldn't be doing anything like the level or volume of work an experienced HO would be doing.
Thanks mallet that makes sense, will be interesting to see what the pay rise will be this year...
Reply 84
Thanks mallet that makes sense, will be interesting to see what the pay rise will be this year...

The business case put to the cabinet office was 1.5-2.5%, so maybe £750 if you're lucky! .
Original post by Mallet
Salary will be the same throughout, other than any (very) minor increases in the annual pay award.

There used to be an increase at (or after) the midpoint of the course, subjecting to passing stage 1, but that was done away with when they increased the starting salary to be inline with HO pay and cut the course down from 4 to 3 years.

The midpoint payrise was meant to reflect the additional responsibilities being undertaken at that point in the course, but it's hard to argue that's the case after only 1 year/2 years now. If anything, you still wouldn't be doing anything like the level or volume of work an experienced HO would be doing.

I didn’t realise that! That change must have come in after they stopped taking trainees in Portsmouth. I was looking forward to a pay rise to SO in a year😂. Still I suppose it’s only 3 years to wait instead of 4 👍
Reply 86
Original post by Lindsey3325
I didn’t realise that! That change must have come in after they stopped taking trainees in Portsmouth. I was looking forward to a pay rise to SO in a year😂. Still I suppose it’s only 3 years to wait instead of 4 👍

It must've been 2 or 3 years ago? I think the 14s got it, the 16s didn't, and the 15s had some kind of transitional amount in between. It was never as high as SO pay anyway. I don't think it was even an high as the HO max. It worked out about an extra 3k or so I think. I seem to remember trainees being annoyed the last few years of it because they increased the minimum but not the midpoint, so it was a smaller increase. Mind you, the min did increase a lot in the last few years so it's swings and roundabouts really. Starting pay was a flat 27k a few years ago and was 25k not long before that.
until today in the PEC section on my application portal, I had four checks completed and now I only have 2, has anyone else had this change too?
Reply 88
Original post by tspquery123
until today in the PEC section on my application portal, I had four checks completed and now I only have 2, has anyone else had this change too?

Mine hasn't changed - I still have three
Original post by Mallet
The business case put to the cabinet office was 1.5-2.5%, so maybe £750 if you're lucky! .

Wasn't that the percentage that is the max Treasury will allow for the pay deal, and the pay reform case is different? Not sure we've heard form the union what the pay reform proposal is?

If its that I'll be voting no in a ballot!
Original post by Heldol
Mine hasn't changed - I still have three

Which ones do you have? (if you don’t mind me asking) :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by tspquery123
Which ones do you have? (if you don’t mind me asking) :smile:

The following checks are now complete:

whether, when self-employed, your business was conducted and terminated satisfactorily

whether you have ever been declared bankrupt

what workplace adjustments we could make to help you take up employment with us, and carry out the duties of the job effectively
Reply 92
Original post by smuir711
Wasn't that the percentage that is the max Treasury will allow for the pay deal, and the pay reform case is different? Not sure we've heard form the union what the pay reform proposal is?

If its that I'll be voting no in a ballot!

Yeah, that's probably it. I just remember the figures because that's what we're likely to get. I know the pay reform case is different (rumoured to be 15% over 3 years if we give up terms and conditions) but that ain't gonna wash with me either.
Reply 93
Out of curiosity as you mentioned a union - which union do you use? Are most people in it? You've reminded me I need to remember to cancel my current union dues!
Reply 94
Original post by StraCat
Out of curiosity as you mentioned a union - which union do you use? Are most people in it? You've reminded me I need to remember to cancel my current union dues!

PCS represent all grades and ARC (Association of Revenue & Customs), which is part of FDA, represent G7 and above, so you'll have a choice. You'll be given info when you start. ARC used to hold an event to drum up support of new trainees. Not sure if they still do.
Original post by Mallet
PCS represent all grades and ARC (Association of Revenue & Customs), which is part of FDA, represent G7 and above, so you'll have a choice. You'll be given info when you start. ARC used to hold an event to drum up support of new trainees. Not sure if they still do.

They have someone at the induction event to talk to the new intake about it.
Has anyone had any sort of response about the updated documentation? I sent mine off on tuesday, and I didn't even get confirmation they'd recieved it. I dont know whether to wait until Monday or email them today?
Reply 97
Original post by hannnahball
Has anyone had any sort of response about the updated documentation? I sent mine off on tuesday, and I didn't even get confirmation they'd recieved it. I dont know whether to wait until Monday or email them today?

No I haven't and wasn't expecting a response really. 150 potential sets of documents is a lot of work!
I did hear back from someone called Isabel, who's been really lovely and has emailed me a few times regarding queries with documentation, but it was basically just a thank you and that she'd pass the new stuff on.

Probably nothing to worry about!
Just received an email from HMRC Recruitment Team saying that I have not completed my DBS application...but I did it almost two weeks ago :/ anyone else got the same email?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending