Choosing between two offers, MRes Psychology and MSc Research Methods in Psychology

Watch
celbun
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi everyone,

I have gotten two offers that I favour. One from Manchester University for MRes in Psychology and one from University of Liverpool for MSc in Research Methods.

I am hoping to further my career after my masters in clinical psychology.

Any help would be greatly appreciated about these courses or differences between an MRes and MSc. Thank you.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I imagine the MRes will be more or less a "container" for an extended research project, possibly supported by some (potentially formative only) research methods work, while the MSc will be more focused on the teaching of a variety of psychological research methods, with a shorter dissertation/project, which might also focus more on research into methodology specifically as opposed to more general psychological research. Both seem more oriented towards academic psychology than clinical psychology though.

Noodlzzz is in the field of academic psychology and is quite knowledgeable on both the academic and clinical sides of psychology - she might be able to offer some more advice
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 months ago
celbun
Rep:
?
Apart from knowing I would like to work in a clinical possibly medical setting I don’t really have a specific and solid plan. I was hoping to use the masters to see if research and doctorate would be right for me seeing as MRes seems to favour research. However I have heard that Liverpool Unis course may have more cache for clinical psychology.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by celbun)
Hi everyone,

I have gotten two offers that I favour. One from Manchester University for MRes in Psychology and one from University of Liverpool for MSc in Research Methods.

I am hoping to further my career after my masters in clinical psychology.

Any help would be greatly appreciated about these courses or differences between an MRes and MSc. Thank you.
I don't think the issue so much is the MRes/MSc as both are a similar level and probably stand you in the same way for DCLinPsych ( assuming this is what you were aiming for?)

I think the issues is the content. A research methods masters isn't really supportive of a DClinPsych - clinical psychology is very applied and although you may do a small dissertation and some research once qualified, it really won't be much of your time dedicated to this

If you're looking to go into psychology more generally after masters, I think a MRes in psychology would benefit you a lot more in both content and also research element if you deiced to go down the PhD or RA route.

Please let me know if I can any more!
celbun
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
I don't think the issue so much is the MRes/MSc as both are a similar level and probably stand you in the same way for DCLinPsych ( assuming this is what you were aiming for?)

I think the issues is the content. A research methods masters isn't really supportive of a DClinPsych - clinical psychology is very applied and although you may do a small dissertation and some research once qualified, it really won't be much of your time dedicated to this

If you're looking to go into psychology more generally after masters, I think a MRes in psychology would benefit you a lot more in both content and also research element if you deiced to go down the PhD or RA route.

Please let me know if I can any more!
I am definitely looking at a DClinPsych. It seems as such if the content is more applied and taught that should be the one I should go for. It looks like the MRes is more focused on research and so I would probably be better off doing the MSc with more taught content?
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by celbun)
I am definitely looking at a DClinPsych. It seems as such if the content is more applied and taught that should be the one I should go for. It looks like the MRes is more focused on research and so I would probably be better off doing the MSc with more taught content?
I just think a research methods in psychology masters isn't as relevant as say a MRes in psychology overall. I would recommend checking out https://www.clinpsy.org.uk/forum/ they should be able to give you a more educated answer than me!
celbun
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
I just think a research methods in psychology masters isn't as relevant as say a MRes in psychology overall. I would recommend checking out https://www.clinpsy.org.uk/forum/ they should be able to give you a more educated answer than me!
Thank you I will have a look there c:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.13%
I'm not sure (26)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.63%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (269)
47.53%

Watched Threads