How do you feel about online courses in general?

Watch
hashbrownclown
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys,
This is my first post here so I apologize if it's a bit of an odd question. Due to the recent pandemic, I decided to take part in some online courses for a change. To be honest, at the start I really didn't think it'd be my cup of tea. But I'm actually really enjoying it.
Overall, how do you guys feel regarding online courses in comparison to face to face lectures? Which do you prefer?
luciagard
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I haven't had any online classes where it was imperative for me to take notes and completely grasp everything the teacher/lecturer was saying, but I have attended some free online courses for fun which have been alright, since anything that I didn't completely understand I could just let slide. I'm not entirely optimistic about having to start university with online courses, as usually the first few weeks is when I would be able to get to know other people in my course as well as get a feel of the whole university thing, but I'm not upset about it either.

Personally I would prefer face to face lectures, but depending on what the whole situation looks like in September, it might be for the best... idk :/
jadefn
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I think online courses are really valuable and look great on your CV too! Online courses can give you great introductions to a subject you wish to study at university level too. I came across these articles to do with online learning which you may find useful:
https://www.whatuni.com/advice/coron...-course/89592/
https://www.whatuni.com/advice/coron...rses-uk/89068/

Futurelearn have so many free online courses!
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I like them, but then again my job is work from home and has been since I graduated 8 years ago, so the idea of motivating myself at my laptop has been habit for a long time now.
bladine
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I'm glad that there are online courses available for those who are working but still want to improve their academic achievement. However, the courses are limited to those who are wanting to pursue science and engineering degrees. I hope online courses will have more options.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bladine)
I'm glad that there are online courses available for those who are working but still want to improve their academic achievement. However, the courses are limited to those who are wanting to pursue science and engineering degrees. I hope online courses will have more options.
There are thousands of online courses available from plenty of providers in all different subjects- both free and with fees.
Academic, cpd, professional, personal interest and entertainment.
Most with an accreditation qualification or certificate of completion.
The celta course for teaching english abroad has gone online for the first time due to pandemic restrictions.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Online courses are a fantastic means of gaining new skills, qualifications and more knowledge of topics of interest.
A wonderful option to people with tight schedules, limited spare time, health problems, mobility issues or difficulty travelling.
I prefer studying online to face to face teaching; more convenient, usually lower costs, fewer distractions and the opportunity to experience a learning environment interacting with other people physically located in different continents.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.39%
Okay (115)
29.19%
A bit lacking (150)
38.07%
Not good at all (92)
23.35%

Watched Threads