Law Personal Statement University Application 2020

Watch
Middlefriendsoph
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi everyone!

I’m starting to begin writing my personal statement, but due to the current world situation I’m afraid all my extra curriculars have gone down the drain for my law application (no work experience, no DofE, etc.). Just wondering if anyone had any law book recommendations (specifically on human rights preferably) that aren’t the basic ones, or any other super curricular activity ideas that I could try such as essay competitions (I tried to research but couldn’t find any) as I’m really anxious that my personal statement has become pretty average and not much in it!

Thank you so much.
dev200
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thats the same with me, I want to apply to law for the 2021 entry but I am so worried that I'll have nothing to write on my personal statement! Try listening to podcasts too.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Middlefriendsoph)
Hi everyone!

I’m starting to begin writing my personal statement, but due to the current world situation I’m afraid all my extra curriculars have gone down the drain for my law application (no work experience, no DofE, etc.). Just wondering if anyone had any law book recommendations (specifically on human rights preferably) that aren’t the basic ones, or any other super curricular activity ideas that I could try such as essay competitions (I tried to research but couldn’t find any) as I’m really anxious that my personal statement has become pretty average and not much in it!

Thank you so much.
You dont need work experience for an academic subject like law so dont worry. It would be good to start with the introductory ones for books but for human rights, it would better to read about cases and EHRC's judgements. John Locke has a competition for Law that's open till July 15th: https://www.johnlockeinstitute.com/2...ay-competition Why do you think your personal statement will be average?
(Original post by dev200)
Thats the same with me, I want to apply to law for the 2021 entry but I am so worried that I'll have nothing to write on my personal statement! Try listening to podcasts too.
You can do a lot for your personal statements
dev200
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
You dont need work experience for an academic subject like law so dont worry. It would be good to start with the introductory ones for books but for human rights, it would better to read about cases and EHRC's judgements. John Locke has a competition for Law that's open till July 15th: https://www.johnlockeinstitute.com/2...ay-competition Why do you think your personal statement will be average?

any tips?
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by dev200)
any tips?
Tips in terms of what? Like what you could put? How to write it? :confused:
Middlefriendsoph
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)

Hi! Thank you for the info. I’m just worried that it will be average as I was planning on doing more activities like a trip away, work experience, DofE etc. to put on there and now all my personal statement is is books, podcasts, etc. I’m worried because I’m applying to quite highly regarded unis!
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You don't need trips/work experience/DfE - the unis care about your interest and ability to do well academically
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Middlefriendsoph)
Hi! Thank you for the info. I’m just worried that it will be average as I was planning on doing more activities like a trip away, work experience, DofE etc. to put on there and now all my personal statement is is books, podcasts, etc. I’m worried because I’m applying to quite highly regarded unis!
If you focus less on its academic aspect, the less it will be effective. Highly regarded unis would rather have what you have now than what you plan to do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (675)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.21%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads