The Student Room Group

Best uni for engineering (UK preferably)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I want to say this to you OP. Look at the course structure for each university and think about what you will enjoy the most. The whole point is that you join a course that you will enjoy, you study in a city where you will be happy. There may be companies that prefer certain universities I admit, but this isn't something you should really worry about. At the end of the day, an engineering degree is an engineering degree and the whole point of accreditation is that they all teach basically the same stuff, just in a slightly different way.

Original post by Muttley79
I teach Maths and am in a Senior role. Lots of my students go on to study Engineering and I write many UCAS references.

Lots of students do keep in touch - after all I've taught some of them for 7 years and others for over 4.

Perhaps our students value us [it is not just me they come back to see]? We have a strong alumni association for a state school and graduates come back to take to younger year groups.

How are you able to get in contact with various employers across the country if you "just" teach at school?

I say "just" not in an offensive way, I mean it in a way that it seems unlikely a school teacher would have so much access or exposure compared to someone teaching in university??
Original post by 0le
How are you able to get in contact with various employers across the country if you "just" teach at school?

I say "just" not in an offensive way, I mean it in a way that it seems unlikely a school teacher would have so much access or exposure compared to someone teaching in university??

Please don't take this thread off-topic. I was going to PM you with a reply but you've disabled that. As I said I'm in a Senior role - we organise careers fair and I visit unis with my UCAS hat on. I network with colleagues across the country - it's not difficult to be well-informed with the right contacts. Ex-students lecture in various unis and we have a good alumni association. It is 2020 not 1920.
My humble opinion using sites I know:

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. Manchester
5. UCL
6. Southampton
7. Warwick
8. Kings (not a really good uni as there are better but its on this list cause its easier to get into and you dont need A level Physics)
Original post by bored_user:)
My humble opinion using sites I know:

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. Manchester
5. UCL
6. Southampton
7. Warwick
8. Kings (not a really good uni as there are better but its on this list cause its easier to get into and you dont need A level Physics)

This is a terrible list, this thread is strictly about engineering.
Original post by mnot
This is a terrible list, this thread is strictly about engineering.

Yes? I understand that.. and you would see these unis in the "worlds top 100 best unis for engineering" list...
Yes? I understand that.. and you would see these unis in the "worlds top 100 best unis for engineering" list...

Not UCL & not Kings.
Oxbridge I would for their engineering research but not for mechanical engineering undergraduate degrees.
Imperial yes (& I would put them top)
Southampton - yes
Warwick - Only for manufacturing engineering not mechanical
Manchester is a very good but there are other engineering unis generally more reputable in the UK.

Also world best 100 engineering unis is very arbitrary...

league tables is one of the most stupid things ever created....engineering is more of a practical subject rather than a 'reading a book and making notes' subject, which is why generally 'lower ranked' unis are sometimes better than the 'higher ranked' unis when it comes to engineering...
Original post by Becca216
league tables is one of the most stupid things ever created....engineering is more of a practical subject rather than a 'reading a book and making notes' subject, which is why generally 'lower ranked' unis are sometimes better than the 'higher ranked' unis when it comes to engineering...

so which unis would you put in that list then?
so which unis would you put in that list then?

Imperial, Southampton, Loughborough, Birmingham, Nottingham,Lancaster, Newcastle are the first ones that come to mind...depends what type of engineering
Reply 49
Please don't take this thread off-topic. I was going to PM you with a reply but you've disabled that. As I said I'm in a Senior role - we organise careers fair and I visit unis with my UCAS hat on. I network with colleagues across the country - it's not difficult to be well-informed with the right contacts. Ex-students lecture in various unis and we have a good alumni association. It is 2020 not 1920.

I don't feel I am taking it off topic. I originally gave the OP what I felt was a reasonable answer. I read you advice and I found it odd and also at times disrespectful as well. I have every right to question it, particularly when you share advice which is outside of your industry. Look at this comment for example:

RG = Russell group universities - these aren't relevant for Engineering. Look for industry accreditation.

I went to Bristol to study aero and I know plenty of people who got jobs at good engineering companies such as Rolls Royce, ESA , MBDA, Airbus and JLR etc as well as a handful who did consultancy roles based on engineering. Other people in this very thread have also implied your advice might not necessarily be wholly indicative of the industry as well.

This idea that only some universities are viewed "well" is slightly misleading as well. The main criteria for getting jobs has and always will be the individual, their personality and skills. The university they went to, as long as it is accredited, has a small bearing but nowhere near as much as the former. You can pick up software skills at any point in your life. It is much harder to actually learn the theory, and the theory is and always will be much more important so that you use the new technologies correctly.
Original post by 0le
This idea that only some universities are viewed "well" is slightly misleading as well. The main criteria for getting jobs has and always will be the individual, their personality and skills. The university they went to, as long as it is accredited, has a small bearing but nowhere near as much as the former. You can pick up software skills at any point in your life. It is much harder to actually learn the theory, and the theory is and always will be much more important so that you use the new technologies correctly.

It isn't misleading - many RG uni and, certainly, Oxbridge don't offer a year in industry. How recently did you graduate?

My information is probably more up-to-date than yours. Please just stop or continue this by PM - you are derailing the thread.
Reply 51
It isn't misleading - many RG uni and, certainly, Oxbridge don't offer a year in industry. How recently did you graduate?

My information is probably more up-to-date than yours. Please just stop or continue this by PM - you are derailing the thread.

Yes, it is misleading. Talking about version numbers on software, for example, is misleading. I am applying for jobs right now and not a single description has mentioned that. Big companies, small companies -not one. Your advice is misleading because you are portraying your advice as hard facts, even when I present actual information to show the contrary.

You are making it sound as if some universities are useless for engineering, which again, is absolute garbage. You are portraying the use of software as a huge thing - this isn't always the case either. Just in around January time, I had an interview for a role in fire engineering and CFD was a small component of that role - they didn't actually care I hadn't used CFD and were more interested in my skills and personality.

I just don't get why you are going around engineering forums, sharing advice as if it is hard facts about an industry you aren't even part of. I think it is okay and good to share advice about what you've been told, but to present them as hard facts, and then have the cheek to say to people like myself who actually have engineering degrees they are wrong, it just beggars belief.

The reason this is important is because you may now have put people off studying at universities such as Imperial just because of your advice.
(edited 3 years ago)
Would average earnings, adjusted for entry standards, be of interest?

Cambridge
Durham
Oxford
Imperial
UCL
Edinburgh
Bristol
Southampton
Lancaster
Bath
Liverpool
Original post by 0le
Yes, it is misleading. Talking about version numbers on software, for example, is misleading. I am applying for jobs right now and not a single description has mentioned that. Big companies, small companies -not one.

The reason this is important is because you may now have put people off studying at universities such as Imperial just because of your advice.

Version you've used is an interview questions that many have been asked - you may not have been - doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Why would people want Imperial given the student satisfaction - I don't need to say or add anything!
Original post by nexttime
Would average earnings, adjusted for entry standards, be of interest?

Cambridge
Durham
Oxford
Imperial
UCL
Edinburgh
Bristol
Southampton
Lancaster
Bath
Liverpool

Is that in Engineering jobs?
Reply 55
Version you've used is an interview questions that many have been asked - you may not have been - doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Why would people want Imperial given the student satisfaction - I don't need to say or add anything!

Like I said earlier, your comments are extremely disrespectful and some of the advice you've given is misleading, and I'll leave it at that.

In my experience, if a hiring decision is made on the software that you've used, it's either a very short-term job, or a clueless hiring manager. I hire for ability, not the fit for the initial task, or software.

If the company doesn't want to allocate time for you to learn, it's the wrong company to work for.

Much better to go to a university that gives free beer and a day of work a week ..

You dislike rankings, including for some valid reasons, yet cite student satisfaction. I find that odd, given that many will not enjoy being stretched.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
You dislike rankings, including for some valid reasons, yet cite student satisfaction. I find that odd, given that many will not enjoy being stretched.

It's not to do with ranking - it's real stories of students there some of them are heartbreaking..

If there's a tie between two candidates then not having to train up someone on specific software is beneficial to a company. They can then invest of developing/training other aspects - better use of money especially in these challenging times.
It's not to do with ranking - it's real stories of students there some of them are heartbreaking..

My son arrived back from Imperial this weekend. Heart intact.
Original post by RogerOxon
My son arrived back from Imperial this weekend. Heart intact.

He's fortunate then - be thankful he's not been bullied.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending