The Student Room Group

Any guinea pig owners on TSR?

What are the personalities of your guinea pigs like?

I have 2 cute boys 1 is called George he is an American short hair he is white with black and has ruby eyes and a crest on his head. He is very timid and rather quiet and small

My other boy is called Harry he is also an American short hair guinea pig but he is ginger with white he also has ruby eyes. He is rather chubby and very vocal, he does this thing where he would sometimes kick however he only puts up a front as he adores being stroked and likes to fall asleep with me when he gets petted. He is definitely the dominant male.

Both are rescues I had them for 3 years now.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Reply 5
Cavy, get over here before another person tags you :lol:
I was coming here to tag CC. 😂
This thread title was made for 1 user
RIP @Cavy's inbox :tongue: :hugs:
Reply 10
We have 6 currently but did have 9 at one point.

Rodney, got brain damage from a cold when he was really young but still lived until he was 3 and a half. He was actually the cleverest pig, knew his name and was toilet trained very quickly. He passed away peacefully from a stroke whilst I lay on the floor next to him so he could feel my hand.

Dwight is Rodneys brother. He’s four years old now and is the sweetest pig. Only ever wanted to sniff butt and snuggle but always got told off for it! His wheek has always been broken and sounds like wheezy from Toy Story. Unfortunately he has a horrible cancerous growth on his foot so will likely be going to sleep in the next week or so.

Junior was adopted because he looked like Dwight so became his friend. He is the wildest and most excitable of all the pigs and has the most nicknames of them all. He can’t live with other pigs because he is so hyper but we have the cage set up so he can interact through the bars.

The above three are all Peruvians so have really long hair that needs to be cut every month.

Brock was our next adoption. Tiny little absynnian who loves to lick you. He still sits up in your hand to chew his feet and has a really cut little sneeze. He is a massive tumbler around other pigs.

Tyrion we adopted as he was found living on the streets and had part of his ear bitten off. He has a really innocent face and lives with Brock. He is a Rex pig, so is a ginger wiry fuzz ball.

Leroy and Hugo are adopted brothers, both traditional smooth pigs. Both very dominant and now live with my mother in law.

Freddie and Leo were the latest adoptions. They are both Rex mixes and are huge compared to to the others. They like to try and get up close as much as possible. Leo is around 1,700 grams, whereas Brock is 1050! Freddie is the only pig who doesn’t like to be out in the garden and runs back in the house, jumping up the step and over his run to get back.

I can’t believe how great the pigs have been, their personalities are all unique and we will never be without them now.

We got a puppy earlier this year and they all like to snuggle together, licking and grooming each other.
(edited 3 years ago)
:rofl: thanks for the tags guys :lol:

Original post by Anonymous1502
What are the personalities of your guinea pigs like?

I have 2 cute boys 1 is called George he is an American short hair he is white with black and has ruby eyes and a crest on his head. He is very timid and rather quiet and small

My other boy is called Harry he is also an American short hair guinea pig but he is ginger with white he also has ruby eyes. He is rather chubby and very vocal, he does this thing where he would sometimes kick however he only puts up a front as he adores being stroked and likes to fall asleep with me when he gets petted. He is definitely the dominant male.

Both are rescues I had them for 3 years now.

Omg they sound adorable :heart: red eyed guineas are so demonised cos people think they look scary but they are gorgous :cry2:

These are the ones ive had with their personalities:
Pebble: Very tame, enjoyed running around the room and lying out on the hay. Not a rescue
Jet: Littermate of Pebble's, was quieter and more reserved than her but they loved each other. Not a rescue.
Amy: Very fiesty, she was badly treated before she came to us (RSPCA rescued her) she lived until she was 7 with us and passed away in febuary. Rescue
Sophie: Amy's friend, was a lot softer in disposition and less jumpy than Amy, she loved food and was a bit older than Amy.
Rodney: Originally called Rodney Rhubarb by the RSPCA he was daft as a brush and had an IQ of 0, he would frequently fall over his own head. He really liked my parent and would clunk on his bottle in order to get attention from them.
Earl: Albino guinea, was rescued after rodney had to be put to sleep (the people before didnt look after his teeth so they reached a point he couldnt eat), didnt have him long enough for his character to really show as he had a seizure and died suddenly after we acquired him.
Lily (current guinea pig): Black and white, rather round and loves food too much since she was starved before she came to us. She is soft and loves my parent but will headbutt anyone who comes between her and a piece of veg.
Chester: The male guinea pig who came with lily when they were rescued, he was sweet and cute but also suddenly died.
Sage, Daisy and Poppy (current guinea pigs): Obtained these before christmas as Amy was getting older and its bad for guinea pigs to not have a partner so we didnt want lily to be on her own. After Amy died we matched daisy with Lily and kept the other two together. All 3 are related with Sage being the mum of Daisy and Daisy being the mum of poppy. They are long haired, with daisy being the most out going one and poppy being the shyest but also the fidgity one.

Think thats everyone :colondollar:
Reply 12
Original post by CoolCavy
:rofl: thanks for the tags guys :lol:

Omg they sound adorable :heart: red eyed guineas are so demonised cos people think they look scary but they are gorgous :cry2:

These are the ones ive had with their personalities:
Pebble: Very tame, enjoyed running around the room and lying out on the hay. Not a rescue
Jet: Littermate of Pebble's, was quieter and more reserved than her but they loved each other. Not a rescue.
Amy: Very fiesty, she was badly treated before she came to us (RSPCA rescued her) she lived until she was 7 with us and passed away in febuary. Rescue
Sophie: Amy's friend, was a lot softer in disposition and less jumpy than Amy, she loved food and was a bit older than Amy.
Rodney: Originally called Rodney Rhubarb by the RSPCA he was daft as a brush and had an IQ of 0, he would frequently fall over his own head. He really liked my parent and would clunk on his bottle in order to get attention from them.
Earl: Albino guinea, was rescued after rodney had to be put to sleep (the people before didnt look after his teeth so they reached a point he couldnt eat), didnt have him long enough for his character to really show as he had a seizure and died suddenly after we acquired him.
Lily (current guinea pig): Black and white, rather round and loves food too much since she was starved before she came to us. She is soft and loves my parent but will headbutt anyone who comes between her and a piece of veg.
Chester: The male guinea pig who came with lily when they were rescued, he was sweet and cute but also suddenly died.
Sage, Daisy and Poppy (current guinea pigs): Obtained these before christmas as Amy was getting older and its bad for guinea pigs to not have a partner so we didnt want lily to be on her own. After Amy died we matched daisy with Lily and kept the other two together. All 3 are related with Sage being the mum of Daisy and Daisy being the mum of poppy. They are long haired, with daisy being the most out going one and poppy being the shyest but also the fidgity one.

Think thats everyone :colondollar:

The tooth thing is really cruel by whoever did that to them. As long as you give them hay, they will look after their own dental pretty much.

Rodney had to have his molars shaved down, as his jaw was misaligned. It was a really scary operation but after we managed to get his stomach going again, he was brilliant.

Brock’s front teeth did snap off once. He was sitting on top of his house and Dwight sniffed his butt too hard, knocking Brock straight off and he fell onto his teeth!
Original post by Mess.
The tooth thing is really cruel by whoever did that to them. As long as you give them hay, they will look after their own dental pretty much.

Rodney had to have his molars shaved down, as his jaw was misaligned. It was a really scary operation but after we managed to get his stomach going again, he was brilliant.

Brock’s front teeth did snap off once. He was sitting on top of his house and Dwight sniffed his butt too hard, knocking Brock straight off and he fell onto his teeth!

Absolutely :frown: they only fed him grass as a baby so his teeth never worn down, high five for a fellow rodney though :colondollar:
Awww am so glad to hear that :hugs: its really scary with them under anesthetic as they are so sensitive to it, we have had to have a few operations on various ones over the years.
Ah yeh :lol: sophie managed to knock her tooth out trying to copy how loudly rodney used to drink his bottle :colondollar: pigs are crazy :nuts:
Reply 15
Original post by CoolCavy
Absolutely :frown: they only fed him grass as a baby so his teeth never worn down, high five for a fellow rodney though :colondollar:
Awww am so glad to hear that :hugs: its really scary with them under anesthetic as they are so sensitive to it, we have had to have a few operations on various ones over the years.
Ah yeh :lol: sophie managed to knock her tooth out trying to copy how loudly rodney used to drink his bottle :colondollar: pigs are crazy :nuts:

They look like the exorcist when they try drinking their water. Contorting themselves into ridiculous positions, rather than just drinking it like normal pigs :rofl:

Have you tried giving your pigs parsley? Ours go crazy for it and wheek non-stop when they hear the fridge opening because of it.
Original post by Mess.
They look like the exorcist when they try drinking their water. Contorting themselves into ridiculous positions, rather than just drinking it like normal pigs :rofl:

Have you tried giving your pigs parsley? Ours go crazy for it and wheek non-stop when they hear the fridge opening because of it.

Omg yes :rofl:
Yeh they are obsessed with parsley :biggrin: any time you shake a bag they come out like a rocket :lol:
Original post by Mess.

George's teeth also got knocked out once not sure how but I noticed he had trouble eating the cucumber I gave him so we fed him watered down pellet and vegetable puree until his teeth grew back.
Original post by Mess.
We have 6 currently but did have 9 at one point.

Rodney, got brain damage from a cold when he was really young but still lived until he was 3 and a half. He was actually the cleverest pig, knew his name and was toilet trained very quickly. He passed away peacefully from a stroke whilst I lay on the floor next to him so he could feel my hand.

Dwight is Rodneys brother. He’s four years old now and is the sweetest pig. Only ever wanted to sniff butt and snuggle but always got told off for it! His wheek has always been broken and sounds like wheezy from Toy Story. Unfortunately he has a horrible cancerous growth on his foot so will likely be going to sleep in the next week or so.

Junior was adopted because he looked like Dwight so became his friend. He is the wildest and most excitable of all the pigs and has the most nicknames of them all. He can’t live with other pigs because he is so hyper but we have the cage set up so he can interact through the bars.

The above three are all Peruvians so have really long hair that needs to be cut every month.

Brock was our next adoption. Tiny little absynnian who loves to lick you. He still sits up in your hand to chew his feet and has a really cut little sneeze. He is a massive tumbler around other pigs.

Tyrion we adopted as he was found living on the streets and had part of his ear bitten off. He has a really innocent face and lives with Brock. He is a Rex pig, so is a ginger wiry fuzz ball.

Leroy and Hugo are adopted brothers, both traditional smooth pigs. Both very dominant and now live with my mother in law.

Freddie and Leo were the latest adoptions. They are both Rex mixes and are huge compared to to the others. They like to try and get up close as much as possible. Leo is around 1,700 grams, whereas Brock is 1050! Freddie is the only pig who doesn’t like to be out in the garden and runs back in the house, jumping up the step and over his run to get back.

I can’t believe how great the pigs have been, their personalities are all unique and we will never be without them now.

We got a puppy earlier this year and they all like to snuggle together, licking and grooming each other.

Your Guinea pigs sound adorable especially the puppy, I would love to rescue more but my mum said no. Both of my Guinea pigs came with bite marks on their ears not sure why. I always wanted a Peruvian Guinea pig in the Internet you can find lots of them with very cute hairstyles.
Reply 19
I can't think of any :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest