Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Omg, so I’m picking my a levels. Going for 4:

Maths
Biology
Religious studies
And sociology or psychology.

I don’t know which one to study, I’ve spent months literally on researching both and I’m soooo stuck. I don’t want to regret not taking one. Please help advice, previous experience or anything!!! 😭😭😭😭

I’m struggling right now as I feel both are interesting but which social science is best to take and easy to get a decent mark in?
impoor123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
it depends on you really for me sociology is much more ‘easier’ than psychology.
think about what you want to do in the future is maths and biology influence (then either would matter) or specifically one
ALSO sociology, psychology and even criminology have many overlaps i.e. theorist so much you won’t miss out on much
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
don't take 4 if you don't want to. i took psychology and found it pretty straightforward, just pick the one that appeals to you more. both are pretty content heavy so bear that in mind.
mbegum2633
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Well I got the lowest passing grade in English language GCSE and I was recommended that I do sociology because I am not good at thinking on my feet, I would say go for sociology.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
it genuinely doesn't matter which one you choose. considering you're doing biology and maths though you may find psychology "easier" as certain parts of biology overlap with psychology (such as biopsychology) and there is some math involved as well but as it doesn't matter you can choose the course you think is simply most interesting
SoIndecisive
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Psychology is more sciency/mathsy and goes really well with bio and maths, while sociology is more essay/debate based, kind of similar to English, and would go well with RS.
Would you like to learn more about individuals' mind and behaviour (psychology) or the behaviour of society as a whole?
What would you like to do in the future as a job?
SonicsLeftNut
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If you're looking at which one is easiest and best to get an easy mark in then you shouldn't be choosing 4 options. However, based on you choosing maths and biology i would recommend psychology as you have biopsychology, evolutionary psychology, research and stats, etc, which is biology and maths based which you should find easy if your brain is more geared toward that as opposed to looking deep into social issues and constructions. With that being said, if your brain is more science orientated then choose psychology but if your brain is more social and discourse orientated then choose sociology
TheCapstan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
you're doing 4 and choosing THOSE subjects? you know RS, maths and bio are difficult right?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ZedTV)
Omg, so I’m picking my a levels. Going for 4:

Maths
Biology
Religious studies
And sociology or psychology.

I don’t know which one to study, I’ve spent months literally on researching both and I’m soooo stuck. I don’t want to regret not taking one. Please help advice, previous experience or anything!!! 😭😭😭😭

I’m struggling right now as I feel both are interesting but which social science is best to take and easy to get a decent mark in?
Hi ZedTV!

I feel as though Psychology matches your other subjects more than Sociology. I personally took Sociology for a few lessons and ended up dropping it as I didn't find the content as interesting as I had hoped. I then took Psychology and absolutely loved it. I'm someone who isn't naturally great at science or maths and I found it really easy and ended up getting an A. The key with Psychology is being able to remember things like names and specific studies (which is all really interesting so its not that difficult), and knowing how the examiner wants you to answer the questions. Please let me know if you have any more questions

Erin - Official Student Rep
ZedTV
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
wow, thanks all of you sooo much for the rapid replies and support, helping a fellow student out!

tbh, I've been down this route before, I'm still getting nowhere 50 50 with socio and psych. I can tell it's mainly a mix bag here with replies- people leaning towards psychology but personally the success rate at my chosen 6th form has a better reputation of sociology too but my subjects fit psychology.

I would appreciate some more help guys. but I'm leaning towards sociology to be completely honest.

I have also booked a free uni students psychology and sociology tutor through people I know to give taster sessions as we have sook much free time.

if this helps- I am highly interested in a human sciences undergraf degree at oxford. plz check it out if It helps you, help me (lol) where bio and maths is helpful hence I'm I'm definately taking them.

the course outline is the biological, social and cultural aspects of human life

biological - bio a lvl
social- sociology a lvl
cultural- rs a lvl

I mean psychology is about the brain but I dont know if it will fit

it says there is a statistical paper so thate why maths is helpful
what about maths, biology, sociology and psychology?

thanks again guys. stay safe, my revision buddies!! )
I'm so stuck rn lol
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ZedTV)
wow, thanks all of you sooo much for the rapid replies and support, helping a fellow student out!

tbh, I've been down this route before, I'm still getting nowhere 50 50 with socio and psych. I can tell it's mainly a mix bag here with replies- people leaning towards psychology but personally the success rate at my chosen 6th form has a better reputation of sociology too but my subjects fit psychology.

I would appreciate some more help guys. but I'm leaning towards sociology to be completely honest.

I have also booked a free uni students psychology and sociology tutor through people I know to give taster sessions as we have sook much free time.

if this helps- I am highly interested in a human sciences undergraf degree at oxford. plz check it out if It helps you, help me (lol) where bio and maths is helpful hence I'm I'm definately taking them.

biological - bio a lvl
social- sociology a lvl
cultural- rs a lvl

I'm so stuck rn lol
if you're referring to the statistical paper in a level psych, the stats isn't difficult at a level and doesn't require a level math knowledge. but maths would definitely be good for a human sciences degree :yes:
you've booked taster sessions, which sound good- honestly best thing to do is attend these and make your decision based off which one you found most enjoyable. we can give you all this advice but you may have a preference.
re has a reputation for being a difficult a level, but if you have a genuine interest in the subject you might find it easier than psychology, for example. psychology might be slightly more helpful for human sciences than sociology but not taking it won't close any doors for you.
just remember you don't need to take 4 a-levels to get into oxbridge. it won't give you an advantage. :nah:
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ZedTV)

biological - bio a lvl
social- sociology a lvl
cultural- rs a lvl

I'm so stuck rn lol
Hi ZedTV!

Maybe have a look at the modules for human sciences at Oxford and see if they relate and align more with what you will learn in Sociology or what you will learn in Psychology. If you find that one has various similarities with the course then go for that one as that will give you loads to write about in your personal statement

Erin - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (162)
14.5%
I'm not sure (50)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.54%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (542)
48.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed