The Student Room Group

HND in computing or sports coaching

I’ve been thinking for few months now and I really can’t decide. As a kid I always like everything related to sports, I’m athletic and I practice several sports from ice hockey to footbal. Then there is PC, I got into networking and like playing pc games and in general I have no problems with anything related with computers. Recently I made online applications for those 2 courses and I was accepted for both. I really can’t decide, I just think career wise computing would be much wiser although sports coaching much more fullfilling. I cant though imagine myself working 50 year fixing stuff on codes/pc. Also don’t know if it would be easy to get a job in sports coaching and I would end up in sales support or something.

Any suggestions? Any feedback? Any thoughts?
I know this might sound a bit stupid, but it’s a huge life decision.
Original post by Walker23k
I’ve been thinking for few months now and I really can’t decide. As a kid I always like everything related to sports, I’m athletic and I practice several sports from ice hockey to footbal. Then there is PC, I got into networking and like playing pc games and in general I have no problems with anything related with computers. Recently I made online applications for those 2 courses and I was accepted for both. I really can’t decide, I just think career wise computing would be much wiser although sports coaching much more fullfilling. I cant though imagine myself working 50 year fixing stuff on codes/pc. Also don’t know if it would be easy to get a job in sports coaching and I would end up in sales support or something.

Any suggestions? Any feedback? Any thoughts?
I know this might sound a bit stupid, but it’s a huge life decision.

I wouldnt do either. I would do a full degree.
If you cant decide between the two then do more research or get work experience or talk to people in the field.
Seems like you want to do sports coaching but you arent sure of employment opportunities.

If you wont take a gap, then as a last resort you could start the course and if you dont like it or you decide its a bad choice you can quit after year 1 with a HNC and still have enough funding to do a degree in something else.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/sports-coaching
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
I wouldnt do either. I would do a full degree.
If you cant decide between the two then do more research or get work experience or talk to people in the field.
Seems like you want to do sports coaching but you arent sure of employment opportunities.

If you wont take a gap, then as a last resort you could start the course and if you dont like it or you decide its a bad choice you can quit after year 1 with a HNC and still have enough funding to do a degree in something else.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/sports-coaching

Hey cheers for helping out, the thing is I don’t want to study more than 2 years, I’m already 23 and It’s time for me to get a job. I’m open to study another 2 years, but not more.
Hey cheers for helping out, the thing is I don’t want to study more than 2 years, I’m already 23 and It’s time for me to get a job. I’m open to study another 2 years, but not more.

More fool you really. You should look at the bigger picture.
Reply 4
More fool you really. You should look at the bigger picture.

I can’t afford studying for longer time, take it or not, I have to help out my family.
I can’t afford studying for longer time, take it or not, I have to help out my family.

Are you paying for fees yourself?
You will find many more jobs are open for graduates, than HND and its probably easier to finish it all in one go. Your life though.
Reply 6
Are you paying for fees yourself?
You will find many more jobs are open for graduates, than HND and its probably easier to finish it all in one go. Your life though.

Yes actually, all by myself. I know that it would bring me much more opportunities, but as I said 2 years, is the border I can’t cross.
Yes actually, all by myself. I know that it would bring me much more opportunities, but as I said 2 years, is the border I can’t cross.

My only other thought would be to try for a degree apprenticeship. Anyway GL.
Reply 8

My only other thought would be to try for a degree apprenticeship. Anyway GL.

Cheers m8

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending