Edwards8925
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
What degree out of the two is better for the prospect of a financial career?
Is it worth studying accounting and finance at a better uni than economics at a worse?
Many thanks
neemboo.x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The financial sector is trying to take a more liberal approach when it comes to recruiting graduates, which means it's opening doors to people of all sorts of degrees. So I think it's more important as to which uni you attend rather than which degree you study; top finance firms tend to want graduates from top unis.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Edwards8925)
Hi,
Is it worth studying accounting and finance at a better uni than economics at a worse?
Many thanks
Hi Edwards8925

I am a current 4th year Financial Economics student at Coventry University. It's not that important on what degree you have and from what university, it is about the transferable skills you will learn while studying for a degree. My suggestion would be to study what you'll enjoy the most as you would rather have a good experience whilst studying for a degree than worrying about getting a specific role/job which may not interest you after finishing your degree.

Either of the course will give you some of the transferable skills that employers look for in candidates within financial world, so pick one where you enjoy and would like to explore further. Also, if you planned to get a specific qualification after your degree such as ACCA, it will be better to choose Accounting side as this will allow you to be exempt from some of the exams you have to take to be qualified.

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions.

Arsh Shaikh
BA Financial Economics
Coventry University - Coventry
Varunjain
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Choose the course based on your interest (Finance, Accounting and Economics). For college, try getting yourself into elite ones.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Edwards8925)
Hi,
Many thanks
What sort of financial career? Are you taking A level maths?
Edwards8925
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
What sort of financial career? Are you taking A level maths?
I’m taking a level maths yes. I’m wanting to go into investiment banking, or work for one of the big city banks. E.g JP Morgan, Citi Bank
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (176)
44.22%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
10.8%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.04%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (85)
21.36%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (39)
9.8%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (23)
5.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed