The Student Room Group

What kind of salary could I get as a software developer after 4 years of experience?

I want to do a degree apprenticeship in software development, once I graduate I will have a degree and 4 years of experience in a range of programming languages and concepts. So, what kind of salary job could I expect to get with 4 years of experience in Java, Python, SQL and Javascript. Could I get a job that pays around £80,000.00 a year or a bit less or a bit more.
one would hope that after four years, you've learned more than full stack website development and one solid language

there's no way you'd be earning £80k fresh out of a degree, even if it's a degree apprenticeship
...which tbh is less prestigious than a pure degree - the highest paid compsci grads are MEng from imperial, and cambridge and only the best of those will be earning that much

the best paid computer science fields are either silcon valley-esque technology companies like google, the finance sector generally and data science generally but the average even for a v skilled recent-graduate is a lot lower than £80k
Original post by HoldThisL
one would hope that after four years, you've learned more than full stack website development and one solid language

there's no way you'd be earning £80k fresh out of a degree, even if it's a degree apprenticeship
...which tbh is less prestigious than a pure degree - the highest paid compsci grads are MEng from imperial, and cambridge and only the best of those will be earning that much

the best paid computer science fields are either silcon valley-esque technology companies like google, the finance sector generally and data science generally but the average even for a v skilled recent-graduate is a lot lower than £80k

So what kind of Salary could I expect to get because degree apprenticeships in that field generally start off with paying a salary of 19k a year but this increases over time, so would I be looking at around £35k to £40k when I've finished.
Original post by Horrid Bendy
So what kind of Salary could I expect to get because degree apprenticeships in that field generally start off with paying a salary of 19k a year but this increases over time, so would I be looking at around £35k to £40k when I've finished.

i'd guess that's optimistic since a graduate of a normal degree, even an apprenticeship, is not the same as an experienced dev, but yes thereabouts

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending