What grade could I get for GCSEs this August?

Watch
Rose_24
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what grades I could get in August for GCSEs. For my science mock in year 10, I got 7 in biology, 8 in chemistry, and 9 in physics, but for the year 11 mock I got 4 in biology, and 5 in chemistry and physics. This is kind of the same for the rest of my subjects as I did really well in my year 10 mocks, but got mainly 4s and 5s in my year 11 mock. After the mock, I think my grades went up by 1 grade during a normal assessment. Could someone give me an idea of what I could get?
Omgcobbly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did my GCSEs last year and my grades usually went up by one from mocks to the real thing. This years 11s are in a bit of a different situation tho. from what you've said, your grades might go up by one but it depends on how well your teachers think you're doing
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on other pieces of evidence. Why did you drop down so much???
TheHistoryNerd_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's really hard to guess any what grade anyone could get to be honest. The teacher could literally predict anything and i've heard that you'll probably get a lower grade than what your teacher predicts. It's quite annoying to be honest (I'm in the same boat as you!)
Englishteacher24
Badges: 9
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rose_24)
Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what grades I could get in August for GCSEs. For my science mock in year 10, I got 7 in biology, 8 in chemistry, and 9 in physics, but for the year 11 mock I got 4 in biology, and 5 in chemistry and physics. This is kind of the same for the rest of my subjects as I did really well in my year 10 mocks, but got mainly 4s and 5s in my year 11 mock. After the mock, I think my grades went up by 1 grade during a normal assessment. Could someone give me an idea of what I could get?
I can't say for certain what you will get - schools are doing their best to balance data with teacher understanding of a student as well as the expectation that students will improve between mocks and exams (1 grade to 1.5 grades). It's a complex process and there is no guarantee that one school, or even subjects within the same school, will follow exactly the same ranking method. Remember, the grades schools submit need to roughly align with the previous years' grades as well so that is something to consider. Your school may prioritise the most recent Y11 data or it may address data more holistically. There are lots of uncertainties here. However, in response to TheHistoryNerd_, teachers can't just predict anything: there needs to be a clear rationale for all grades and the process for assigning grades needs to be rigorous and fair.

It would concern me that you dropped grades quite significantly between Y10 and Y11, especially as this occurred in all of your subjects. Based on data alone (which is problematic as I have no contextual understanding of you or why your grades vary to such an extent), my judgement (and take this with a pinch of salt) would be maximum one grade higher than your mock grades in Y11. To drop so many levels in a year, especially when Y11 is the time to knuckle down, is concerning.
Rose_24
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Englishteacher24)
I can't say for certain what you will get - schools are doing their best to balance data with teacher understanding of a student as well as the expectation that students will improve between mocks and exams (1 grade to 1.5 grades). It's a complex process and there is no guarantee that one school, or even subjects within the same school, will follow exactly the same ranking method. Remember, the grades schools submit need to roughly align with the previous years' grades as well so that is something to consider. Your school may prioritise the most recent Y11 data or it may address data more holistically. There are lots of uncertainties here. However, in response to TheHistoryNerd_, teachers can't just predict anything: there needs to be a clear rationale for all grades and the process for assigning grades needs to be rigorous and fair.

It would concern me that you dropped grades quite significantly between Y10 and Y11, especially as this occurred in all of your subjects. Based on data alone (which is problematic as I have no contextual understanding of you or why your grades vary to such an extent), my judgement (and take this with a pinch of salt) would be maximum one grade higher than your mock grades in Y11. To drop so many levels in a year, especially when Y11 is the time to knuckle down, is concerning.
Hi!!

It's been some time, and I've randomly decided to post an update on my results. In August I got my GCSE results, and I got a 5 in maths, a 6 in both English Language and Literature, 7s in all my sciences, a 7 in Rf, 6 in Geography, 4 in spanish, 5 in Psychology and a merit in BTEC PE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads