The Student Room Group

most similar uni's to oxbridge?

I'm not going to apply for Oxbridge because i know it's very unlikely that I'll get in, but I really like the architecture of the universities.

What universities in the UK feel most similar to how it would be studying at oxbridge?
Original post by niarobinson
I'm not going to apply for Oxbridge because i know it's very unlikely that I'll get in, but I really like the architecture of the universities.

What universities in the UK feel most similar to how it would be studying at oxbridge?

Durham definitely, has a collegiate system too so much more similar than others in this respect
Durham is pretty and has a similar collegiate system, and the Scottish unis are similarly old and impressive-looking.

Architecture may not be the most salient reason to apply somewhere, though! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by becausethenight
Durham is pretty and has a similar collegiate system, and the Scottish unis are similarly old and impressive-looking.

Architecture may not be the most salient reason to apply somewhere, though! :smile:

true but for some reason i just really want a uni with nice architecture. I definitely won't make it the deciding factor though. I'll look into some of the Scottish ones. Thank you!
St Andrews has been compared to Oxbridge due to their traditions
Edinburgh is pretty
Glasgow has been called Hogwarts
true but for some reason i just really want a uni with nice architecture. I definitely won't make it the deciding factor though. I'll look into some of the Scottish ones. Thank you!

Fair enough, glad I could help :smile:
If you want to go, you might as well apply. At least then you can say you tried. If you don't apply, you definitely won't get in, but if you do, at least you stand a chance.
If you're really against it, Durham is the 'oxbridge reject' uni. So many people rejected from Oxford or Cambridge end up there.
Scotland generally is really nice, and lots of the uni buildings do look lovely.
If you like Oxford and/or Cambridge though, you might as well try. You still get 4 other options and literally worst case scenario, you can use extra/clearing, which will have lots of good courses.
If you're doing music/drama/dance it might be worth looking into conservatoires. Lots of them have really nice buildings. I'm going to Trinity Laban, and the music building is so lovely. I know it's similar for other London ones and I think the RCS.

The four ancient universities of Scotland are your friend. i can confirm studying at a pretty uni lifts one's spirits daily!

Quick Reply

Latest