The Student Room Group

MSc in Finance and Investment, Brunel

Hi there.

I want to apply for the MSc in Finance and Investment at Brunel University, London. I will first be teaching for three years (don't ask).

My undergraduate degree is in Mathematics from the University of Birmingham, with a 2:1 classification (with Honours). I have not got any financial mathematics modules in my degree. However, finance and investment is my hobby and I currently trade and invest in my free time, learning as I go along. I have a folder where I keep my learning resources, but there is no official qualification backing this up.

Brunel's entry requirements are thus:

"A 2:2 (or above) UK Honours degree (or equivalent internationally recognised qualification) in Economics, Finance, Accounting and Finance, Mathematics, Engineering or Scientific subjects with some study of corporate finance, international finance and securities. "

They say with some study of corporate finance, international finance, and securities.

I do not have this in my degree. Will I still be seriously considered even though my degree is in mathematics and I am taking a gap between now and when I wish to apply?
Having done a finance related master's, I don't think they will mind. However, it's best if you call the admin department to check.

Having said that, if the degree has the same level of difficulty as mine when I did it, the corporate finance, international finance, and securities aren't particularly difficult.

Not trying to dissuade you, but should they not accept you, there are other Finance MScs out there that you should meet the requirements for without problems.
Original post by Toby Riotshield
Hi there.

I want to apply for the MSc in Finance and Investment at Brunel University, London. I will first be teaching for three years (don't ask).

My undergraduate degree is in Mathematics from the University of Birmingham, with a 2:1 classification (with Honours). I have not got any financial mathematics modules in my degree. However, finance and investment is my hobby and I currently trade and invest in my free time, learning as I go along. I have a folder where I keep my learning resources, but there is no official qualification backing this up.

Brunel's entry requirements are thus:

"A 2:2 (or above) UK Honours degree (or equivalent internationally recognised qualification) in Economics, Finance, Accounting and Finance, Mathematics, Engineering or Scientific subjects with some study of corporate finance, international finance and securities. "

They say with some study of corporate finance, international finance, and securities.

I do not have this in my degree. Will I still be seriously considered even though my degree is in mathematics and I am taking a gap between now and when I wish to apply?

They will, undoubtedly, accept you.
It will be extremely easy to get in I believe. Simply google admission rates via FOI requests and I'm sure all applicants get in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending