lhh2003
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi ,

I have read in my A level book that plants have multipotent cells in effectively every tissue. To my understanding, these are the plant equivalent of adult stem cells.

If this is the case, would this make Meristem cells the plant equivalent of embryonic stem cells ?

Thanks.
marika_mce
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lhh2003)
Hi ,

I have read in my A level book that plants have multipotent cells in effectively every tissue. To my understanding, these are the plant equivalent of adult stem cells.

If this is the case, would this make Meristem cells the plant equivalent of embryonic stem cells ?

Thanks.
Hey!

As you would know in your A level syllabus, meristem cells are capable of cell division and are found at the root and shoot tips of plants. They are undifferentiated cells (meristematic cells) so I would say that they are the equivalent of totipotent cells in animals/humans.

Hope this answers your question.
lhh2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by marika_mce)
Hey!

As you would know in your A level syllabus, meristem cells are capable of cell division and are found at the root and shoot tips of plants. They are undifferentiated cells (meristematic cells) so I would say that they are the equivalent of totipotent cells in animals/humans.

Hope this answers your question.
Aren't pretty much every cell type if they can perform natural Vegetative Propagation ?
marika_mce
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lhh2003)
Aren't pretty much every cell type if they can perform natural Vegetative Propagation ?
Yes, meristem cells can regrow structures hence why I said totipotent.
lhh2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by marika_mce)
Yes, meristem cells can regrow structures hence why I said totipotent.
But like aren't vegetative, non-reproductive tissues cells pluripotent if they can produce clones through natural vegetative propagation ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.33%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.73%

Watched Threads