chicchoc
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'm in year 12, and I haven't got any work experience related to law under my belt. I haven't volunteered or been part of a debate club either. I really would like to study law at a Russell Group Uni. Could anyone point me towards opportunities for work experience, volunteering, extra reading, virtual work experience related to law? Anything that could help me when I apply to university in a few months, I'm very desperate.
Tinders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I had 0 work experience in law and I got offers from RG unis. Especially now that it's covid-19 times, I wouldn't worry about not having work expereince.

In terms of reading I would recommend 'letters to a law student' and and maybe 'learning legal skills'. A lot of unis have preliminary reading lists so you can check them out too
chicchoc
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Tinders)
I had 0 work experience in law and I got offers from RG unis. Especially now that it's covid-19 times, I wouldn't worry about not having work expereince.

In terms of reading I would recommend 'letters to a law student' and and maybe 'learning legal skills'. A lot of unis have preliminary reading lists so you can check them out too
Aiii thank you, I feel more comforted now. I'll check those out, appreciate it!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by chicchoc)
I'm in year 12, and I haven't got any work experience related to law under my belt. I haven't volunteered or been part of a debate club either. I really would like to study law at a Russell Group Uni. Could anyone point me towards opportunities for work experience, volunteering, extra reading, virtual work experience related to law? Anything that could help me when I apply to university in a few months, I'm very desperate.
Not needed. they are interested in why you wish to study it as a subject and less so if you intend to do things afterwards. Read some books and look at your motivation as to what makes the subject interesting to you.
Omgcobbly
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Russel group unis will expect at least some form of law extra curricular, like reading, online course, work experience, club but for most of them you don't need tons (enough to show you're interested). If you're aiming for the absolute top like oxbridge you would need to do a bit more to have something to talk about at interview though
Raspberry2003
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I`m exactly the same as you!! I was supposed to have a weeks work experience at a law firm but due to Corona it got cancelled and now I have no experience... Some of my teachers have suggested I watch some online talks because at the moment some Universities are having these online webinar things that are based on certain subjects some of which are law - Also if you could secure some work experience at the end of yr 13 then you could mention that in your personal statement even if you haven't yet completed it... Hope this helps a little bit
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Don't worry about not having those things because they are more important things like evidence supporting your interest that has more weighting for them. I would recommend introductory books like What about Law or Is it wrong to eat people to start off and go into something more specific. You could do a lot online: reading books, reading cases, reading judgements, reading articles, reading academic reports, reading newspapers, listening to Podcasts, listening to lectures, listening to TED talks, Law taster days, online webinars, making a research project, essay comps, EPQ, watching documentaries - there's a lot you could do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads