withered.rose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How will the SQA grading work?

So for highers or advanced Highers how will the official grades be in comparison to the teachers estimate?

I have been estimated at an A in an advanced higher subject, will that be decreased to a B by the SQA or will they take the teachers estimate
SingerPro
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It will only be decreased if you are part of an audit and the SQA believe that your teachers have not estimated correctly. Otherwise, you’ll get what you have been estimated.

This is the document which advises how teachers/lecturers should submit your estimate to the SQA: https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc...April-2020.pdf

If it is deemed that your teacher is overestimating, it is understood that the SQA will pull each candidate up or down a certain number of rows on the table on page 6. Each candidate is also rank ordered based on who is most likely to get each grade which would also be taken into account in these situations.

As long as your estimate is correct there is nothing to worry about. An extensive appeals process will also be available which will look at your result more in-depth if you believe your grade does not reflect your true estimate.

This is quite a vague explanation but I completely trust the integrity of this system and there should be little need to worry

All the best
withered.rose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SingerPro)
It will only be decreased if you are part of an audit and the SQA believe that your teachers have not estimated correctly. Otherwise, you’ll get what you have been estimated.

This is the document which advises how teachers/lecturers should submit your estimate to the SQA: https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc...April-2020.pdf

If it is deemed that your teacher is overestimating, it is understood that the SQA will pull each candidate up or down a certain number of rows on the table on page 6. Each candidate is also rank ordered based on who is most likely to get each grade which would also be taken into account in these situations.

As long as your estimate is correct there is nothing to worry about. An extensive appeals process will also be available which will look at your result more in-depth if you believe your grade does not reflect your true estimate.

This is quite a vague explanation but I completely trust the integrity of this system and there should be little need to worry

All the best
Sorry this is a late reply, but I was wondering in which circumstances u think a school would be used in a audit. For example, would every subject in that school be reviewed or just certain. Would it take into account the location of the school, if it is in a ‘poorer’ postcode as they call it? So if my teacher every year gets a few A’s in her advanced higher, it’s usually a very small class, and if that was the same as this year, would that be looked into more extensively than others
SingerPro
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by withered.rose)
Sorry this is a late reply, but I was wondering in which circumstances u think a school would be used in a audit. For example, would every subject in that school be reviewed or just certain. Would it take into account the location of the school, if it is in a ‘poorer’ postcode as they call it? So if my teacher every year gets a few A’s in her advanced higher, it’s usually a very small class, and if that was the same as this year, would that be looked into more extensively than others
They probably will look at least a bit into whether the school is in a deprived area. If anything seems suspicious the team may want to look into it further. They will take into account results from previous years at that centre as a whole to decide whether to look into the results further but that could be insignificant in your case. Only those working on auditing will really know the answer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (24)
8.89%
Confident (32)
11.85%
Indifferent (46)
17.04%
Unsure (71)
26.3%
Worried (97)
35.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise