Non-stick pot in rice cooker got broken somehow

Watch
Anonymous370
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey ,

So I've got a query and I know this place has many geniuses with food, so intelligent awesome folks here in all honesty .

With the rice cooker I got, the following one, bought on 2 June 2018, I just don't get something.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Ste...6QAMC34TEJ5976

I put rice on the inner pot, I mean long grain brown, along with water (double the amount of ml measured of the rice), give it a stir, dump it into the rice cooker, cover with top thing... But issue is, not only the rice (skin of it I guess mainly) sticks to the base, but also to get it off I must use the silver foil thingy near my kitchen sink in my apartment, I think itz known as abrasive material. But then over time, as has happened, the base of the so called "non stick" inner pot ends us broken bcos I can see the silver material (black coloured base only I should see of course) that the pot is mainly made of internally/at its core. If not dat abrasive/silver foil thingy then what else to get the thing off the base stuck to it ? Also, how generally to stop that from happening so nothing stuck on the base of the inner pot ? I have tried taking out the rice immediately after cooked (like right when it goes keep warm, 30m after starting cooking), which has helped but still interested... Do the more expensive, complicated electric pressure cookers out there like the beast, best one I guess InstantPot not have this issue going on at all ? I mean, I don't get why the keep warm function exists if things get stuck to the inner pot base as a result...

Thanks
Last edited by Anonymous370; 1 year ago
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
Name:  IMG_20200603_162520.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  166.5 KBName:  IMG_20200603_162509.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  395.6 KBName:  IMG_20200603_162500.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  257.1 KB
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dude, you're not meant to use abrasive materials on it. Even when scooping out the rice you should use a plastic or silicone utensil not a metal spoon.

I have a similar pot in my rice cooker and also have the problem of it sticking. I take the rice out then immediately soak the pot in warm soapy water. After an hour or so it comes right off with barely any effort.

I think you're too late to save this one.
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Dude, you're not meant to use abrasive materials on it. Even when scooping out the rice you should use a plastic or silicone utensil not a metal spoon.

I have a similar pot in my rice cooker and also have the problem of it sticking. I take the rice out then immediately soak the pot in warm soapy water. After an hour or so it comes right off with barely any effort.

I think you're too late to save this one.
Oh, so that's why they come with that plastic spoon (which I threw away immediately as I just didn't get it and besides the spoon/spatula just looked funny/silly and metals are my preferred option).

WOW, nice idea ! Hmmm, after the hour, would you then just rinse out the soapy water in it, then rinse the pot with just water from tap (to get rid of absolutely any liquid soap on it etc) (and then dry up the pot with towel and then put away) OR would you re-wash the pot after taking off the soapy water ? Hope that makes sense mate . Just wondering, practically, say if immediately after taking the rice out and soaking the pot in warm soapy water, you rinsed off all the sponge's washing up liquid in it etc, then after the hour or so, the sponge wouldn't have washing up liquid "in" it, and plus it would be nice/easier/convenient if JUST a rinse of the pot you then had to do rather than re-wash it up...

Yep, definitely mate, it's depreciated/gone a lot, totally run down. That being said, I bought it on 2 June 2018, last weeked claimed warranty and they said that bcos of Covid, they will not require me to send my pot across to them for inspection/testing but instead, they'll just send me a replacement item (who knows, maybe even the whole rice cooker product), so actually it's a party here thanks to Covid in a sense LMAO.
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
X
Out of interest, what rice cooker do you have mate ? A link ?

Why's this issue of sticking to base occurring in the first place mate ? I really don't like it in all honesty.
Do you know if the more advanced/expensive electric pressure cooker machines out there have this issue occurring ? Like say InstantPot. I'll be honest with you, before claiming warranty as mentioned above^, I even did think of just buying a new rice cooker that was a more advanced/expensive one so this problem I don't have at all in the first place of sticking to base of inner pot , as I'm really fed up of it haponening every single time I cook rice generally:mad::mad::mad:... but other than that, a rice cooker is defo a lifesaver mate, the other way of making rice, using saucepan etc is just ridiculous in all honesty...

Also, when you make rice, do you RINSE the rice before setting it cooking (in the rice cooker with enough water in the inner pot, and with stir using plastic/wooden spoon/spatula) ?
One more q, do you soak the rice overnight/for few hours or so before setting it cooking ? Like leaving it in inner pot with water and a stir, for few hours/overnight, then putting it into rice cooker for cooking ? I think I read somewhere that it makes digestion easier or the fibre/nutrients be "received" better by the body/gut...

THANKS SO MUCH
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
:confused:why do they even call it non-stick even tho the rice gets stuck ? Makes no sense...
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous370)
Oh, so that's why they come with that plastic spoon (which I threw away immediately as I just didn't get it and besides the spoon/spatula just looked funny/silly and metals are my preferred option).

WOW, nice idea ! Hmmm, after the hour, would you then just rinse out the soapy water in it, then rinse the pot with just water from tap (to get rid of absolutely any liquid soap on it etc) (and then dry up the pot with towel and then put away) OR would you re-wash the pot after taking off the soapy water ? Hope that makes sense mate . Just wondering, practically, say if immediately after taking the rice out and soaking the pot in warm soapy water, you rinsed off all the sponge's washing up liquid in it etc, then after the hour or so, the sponge wouldn't have washing up liquid "in" it, and plus it would be nice/easier/convenient if JUST a rinse of the pot you then had to do rather than re-wash it up...

Yep, definitely mate, it's depreciated/gone a lot, totally run down. That being said, I bought it on 2 June 2018, last weeked claimed warranty and they said that bcos of Covid, they will not require me to send my pot across to them for inspection/testing but instead, they'll just send me a replacement item (who knows, maybe even the whole rice cooker product), so actually it's a party here thanks to Covid in a sense LMAO.
Yeah, that's what the plastic spoon is for. If you have non-stick sauce/frying pans you should also use wood or silicone on those too otherwise you end up ingesting non-stick coating and that stuff is really bad for you.

As for washing it, I usually leave it to soak then as I'm washing up everything else, give it a quick once over with the soapy sponge. If you leave it for more than an hour it won't hurt you - rarely do I bother washing it as soon as the hour is up. I don't know why it sticks, but sometimes if you get the water:rice ratio perfect very little sticks. How much rice are you making that it takes half an hour? For me and my spouse, mine takes about 15 minutes and that's a lot of rice.

I've had mine for about 6 years, got it on Amazon, I think it's Cuisinart and the non-stick coating is still in perfect condition. It wasn't that cheap, perhaps $40 but it's lasted. I agree it's definitely a lifesaver, I make rice maybe 4 times a week so it gets a lot of use, I can't imagine going back to a saucepan method. I know the instantpot can do rice (I have one too) but I've never tested it. I use it mostly for sweet and sour chicken or chicken drumsticks.

When I make rice, I measure out about 140ml for one person (in a measuring cup), 200ml for two. Then double plus a bit, of water. I don't worry too much about it being perfectly measured. Just add rice, add water, add salt, mix, turn on, leave. No way am I leaving it overnight! I don't know about digestion, but I lived with a bunch of Chinese people and their rice cookers during my undergrad - none of them rinsed the rice or left it overnight and Chinese people, in general, know about rice.
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
Yeah, that's what the plastic spoon is for. If you have non-stick sauce/frying pans you should also use wood or silicone on those too otherwise you end up ingesting non-stick coating and that stuff is really bad for you.

How much rice are you making that it takes half an hour? For me and my spouse, mine takes about 15 minutes and that's a lot of rice.

I've had mine for about 6 years, got it on Amazon, I think it's Cuisinart and the non-stick coating is still in perfect condition. It wasn't that cheap, perhaps $40 but it's lasted. I agree it's definitely a lifesaver, I make rice maybe 4 times a week so it gets a lot of use, I can't imagine going back to a saucepan method. I know the instantpot can do rice (I have one too) but I've never tested it. I use it mostly for sweet and sour chicken or chicken drumsticks.

When I make rice, I measure out about 140ml for one person (in a measuring cup), 200ml for two. Then double plus a bit, of water. I don't worry too much about it being perfectly measured. Just add rice, add water, add salt, mix, turn on, leave. No way am I leaving it overnight! I don't know about digestion, but I lived with a bunch of Chinese people and their rice cookers during my undergrad - none of them rinsed the rice or left it overnight and Chinese people, in general, know about rice.
You think I must've ingested that toxic non-stick coating material given the pics above I posted of how my totally run down inner pot looks currently ? The following links I came across yday from somewhere may be of interest to you, a nice read actually .
https://gonewmommy.com/2018/05/17/no...-rice-cookers/
^ especially the bit under the header "How Rice Cookers Can Be Toxic"
https://gonewmommy.com/2018/04/28/no...essure-cooker/
https://gonewmommy.com/2018/07/20/instant-pot-review/
InstantpPot seems very impressive, like the best you can get, what do you think ? Especially as you have it...

Well, I normally wait 30m for it to enter into the keep warm mode and then would take it out. However, I sometimes have taken it out before this and it has cooked fine, so not sure how long it really takes, but I'm guessing it probably it under the 30m mark, may well be just 15m as you said .

Wow, impressive ! You take care well of your rice cooker I must admit.
Regarding InstantPot for rice, cool. Out of interest, have you ever used it for making Pasta in it ? If so, how did it go ? What about curry, like vegetable curry ?

Nice, so you go for water amount being just over double the amount of rice, eh ? I go for double usually, but I think it is true just over double works best. I usually have Brown rice, how about you ?
Cool .

Thanks !
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous370)
You think I must've ingested that toxic non-stick coating material given the pics above I posted of how my totally run down inner pot looks currently ? The following links I came across yday from somewhere may be of interest to you, a nice read actually .
https://gonewmommy.com/2018/05/17/no...-rice-cookers/
^ especially the bit under the header "How Rice Cookers Can Be Toxic"
https://gonewmommy.com/2018/04/28/no...essure-cooker/
https://gonewmommy.com/2018/07/20/instant-pot-review/
InstantpPot seems very impressive, like the best you can get, what do you think ? Especially as you have it...

Well, I normally wait 30m for it to enter into the keep warm mode and then would take it out. However, I sometimes have taken it out before this and it has cooked fine, so not sure how long it really takes, but I'm guessing it probably it under the 30m mark, may well be just 15m as you said .

Wow, impressive ! You take care well of your rice cooker I must admit.
Regarding InstantPot for rice, cool. Out of interest, have you ever used it for making Pasta in it ? If so, how did it go ? What about curry, like vegetable curry ?

Nice, so you go for water amount being just over double the amount of rice, eh ? I go for double usually, but I think it is true just over double works best. I usually have Brown rice, how about you ?
Cool .

Thanks !
Yeah, it does seem like you probably ingested a fair bit. Nothing you can do about it now so try not to worry! Those links are interesting - it's the reason I always use the plastic spoon. The instantpot is good, it can do lots of stuff. I don't think I've ever used anything except saute and pressure cook. One time I made a whole chicken in it and it turned out great. And yes curry works too, I have done that. Lots of different Chinese inspired foods. Foods with bones and big joints of meat. I love how quick it is (once it gets to pressure). I guess you could make pasta in it but tbh I'm not sure why you'd want to when it's so easy to make on the stove? I have made pasta sauce though and that went well. It's good for pretty much everything I've tried, I can't really think of anything that didn't work....:beard:

I usually buy Jasmine rice because I don't like brown. It's weird your rice cooker takes so long to go to keep warm mode, mine flicks over at about 15 minutes so I know to take it out. What I have that's great is a little pot type thing with holes in I can put on top to steam vegetables while I cook rice. It works particularly well for broccoli or green beans and is really healthy.
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
Yeah, it does seem like you probably ingested a fair bit. Nothing you can do about it now so try not to worry! Those links are interesting - it's the reason I always use the plastic spoon. The instantpot is good, it can do lots of stuff. I don't think I've ever used anything except saute and pressure cook. One time I made a whole chicken in it and it turned out great. And yes curry works too, I have done that. Lots of different Chinese inspired foods. Foods with bones and big joints of meat. I love how quick it is (once it gets to pressure). I guess you could make pasta in it but tbh I'm not sure why you'd want to when it's so easy to make on the stove? I have made pasta sauce though and that went well. It's good for pretty much everything I've tried, I can't really think of anything that didn't work....:beard:

I usually buy Jasmine rice because I don't like brown. It's weird your rice cooker takes so long to go to keep warm mode, mine flicks over at about 15 minutes so I know to take it out. What I have that's great is a little pot type thing with holes in I can put on top to steam vegetables while I cook rice. It works particularly well for broccoli or green beans and is really healthy.
Wow, cool. How you make veg curry with InstaPot out of interest ? What mode on it you select ?

Wow, nice.

Thanks
Last edited by Anonymous370; 1 year ago
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
X
Just one more q mate, abrasive material not good of course for cleaning inner pot as it takes off non stick surface etc. But what about the green side of sponge ? Is dat bad for it ? Any clue mate ? Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads