does is matter what sixth form you go to?

Watch
username2005
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
can someone explain to me sixth form and college differences. and how universities look at each one?
does whichever sixth form or college u go to matter to unis?
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Universities do not discriminate based on what sixth form you go to. They may use contextual data (for example, if your school has historically poor results they'll take this into account), but that's about it. Chances are they'll never have heard of your school, and that doesn't really matter.

Go to whatever school you feel like you'll be supported best at, offer the subjects you want to take, and is within a reasonable distance to you.

Ultimately - a person who got an A sitting an A-level at a low performing school has shown the same level of ability for the subject as someone who received an A while attending Westminster or Eton, so they have no reason to discriminate.
username2005
Rep:
?
is sixth form the better option than college then?
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by username2005)
is sixth form the better option than college then?
It doesn't matter at all. Look at which ones offer the subjects you want to take, first of all. If your current secondary has a sixth form you might prefer to go to that since you'll be more used to the environment and the people.
username2005
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
It doesn't matter at all. Look at which ones offer the subjects you want to take, first of all. If your current secondary has a sixth form you might prefer to go to that since you'll be more used to the environment and the people.
alot of people say sixth form is more prestigious and taken more seriously as its more school environmental than college . Also i probably would decide to go to a sixth form but not at my school, as my school isnt exactly the best - supplies often for alot of lessons and students are disruptive in class. If i was to go to a sixth form that is somewhat graded better i think that would influence my grades better
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by username2005)
alot of people say sixth form is more prestigious and taken more seriously as its more school environmental than college . Also i probably would decide to go to a sixth form but not at my school, as my school isnt exactly the best - supplies often for alot of lessons and students are disruptive in class. If i was to go to a sixth form that is somewhat graded better i think that would influence my grades better
Not true - the qualifications you get at sixth form don't differ from those obtained at any other, so prestige (at least, in that sense) can't really exist.

Really it comes down to you and how much you're prepared to work, but if you feel being in a certain environment will help you, then you should go for colleges/sixth forms offering that kind of environment.
Last edited by _gcx; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (87)
27.8%
No - I have already returned home (40)
12.78%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.17%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
10.22%
No - I live at home during term anyway (94)
30.03%

Watched Threads