The Student Room Group

MSc Accounting and Finance for a low 2:1

Hi everyone,
I am struggling in finding a good uni for Msc Accounting / Accounting and finance. I am studying BSc Accounting and Finance in a top 10 university. I got 61% in my first year (doesn't count), 50% in my second year due to personal issues and 74% in my last year (still waiting for my exam result, it could be higher). So by calculating my second and third year, at this point I got a low 2:1. I want to continue my study and I believe I do well in my postgraduate as well.

I am now holding an offer from Exeter, MSc Accounting and Finance (2:1 required conditional offer).

I have applied to LSE MSc Accounting and Finance as well, just give it a go.

I am interested in university of Bath and Durham, But don't know if they accept a low 2:1.

Q1) Should I just apply both of them?
Q2) does anyone get an offer from Bath, Durham with a low 2:1 ?

Thank you for reading this and giving me some advice. :smile:
Reply 1
I'd apply. I think those masters courses are mainly aimed at international students so they may well have a lot of places this year.
Original post by gotcharaichu
Hi everyone,
I am struggling in finding a good uni for Msc Accounting / Accounting and finance. I am studying BSc Accounting and Finance in a top 10 university. I got 61% in my first year (doesn't count), 50% in my second year due to personal issues and 74% in my last year (still waiting for my exam result, it could be higher). So by calculating my second and third year, at this point I got a low 2:1. I want to continue my study and I believe I do well in my postgraduate as well.

I am now holding an offer from Exeter, MSc Accounting and Finance (2:1 required conditional offer).

I am interested in university of Bath and Durham, But don't know if they accept a low 2:1.

Hello there,

If you're at a QS Top 10 university, that means you're studying (for A+F) at Edinburgh, Manchester, KCL, LSE, Bristol or Warwick. If you're studying at these universities, you may see studying at Exeter, Bath or Durham as a 'downgrade'. In general, there's no real point of doing the same exact degree (with exact title) as your bachelors (for eventual positions in Finance), unless you're buying time or 'upgrading' institution. The question you need to ask yourself is: Why am I doing this postgraduate at X uni?

If you're looking for a position in IB/ Consulting, then doing an MSc at any of the institutions listed isn't going to aid you (barring LSE).

Bear in mind, you will be applying late for the 2020/21 intake, so places may be filled up.

I would definitely apply to LSE for whatever reason (especially if you're looking for a position in IB/ Consulting). Bear in mind that in 2018, the applications to intake ratio was 156:1,049 (around 15%). If you are applying with a low 2.1, then try and take GMAT and get a score of >680. Do you have good work experience and references? If you are going to take a gap year and apply for 2021/22 intake, then I would advise you not to, or to have some finance job for a year to replace the gap.

I believe people have got into all institutions listed for A+F (even LSE) with a low 2.1, but to maximise your chances you need:
- Well formatted CV and very good / exceptional work experience at name brand institutions
- Very good references
- Decent GMAT score (>680)

Good Luck
Hi everyone,

Hi @gotcharaichu

Glad to see you're considering Bath for your postgraduate studies, and thanks for your question.

Whilst I don't studying MSc Accounting and Finance at the University of Bath, I can see that we may accept a 2:1 (MSc Accounting and Finance entry requirements), however the admissions team would take a look are your whole application before making a decision. So whilst an offer to study at Bath is not guaranteed, you can make an application.
The deadline to apply for home/EU students in 31 August and for international students is the 30 June. We do also offer other similar courses at Bath, that make be more flexible with entry requirements:

https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate-2020/taught-postgraduate-courses/msc-economics-and-finance-full-time/

https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate-2020/taught-postgraduate-courses/msc-applied-economics-with-banking-and-financial-markets-full-time/

If you have any more questions please feel free to email the postgraduate admissions team at [email protected].

Ollie
MSc Engineering Business Management
Hi everyone,

by any chance, did you hear from LSE?
Original post by user718271
by any chance, did you hear from LSE?

not yet, it takes 8 weeks for hearing decision from the department, I am still waiting for their decision
not yet, it takes 8 weeks for hearing decision from the department, I am still waiting for their decision

oh ok good luck :smile: would love if you share what you end up doing at the end!
Reply 7
Hi, I was just wondering if you got an offer from LSE, I’m in the same position as you and just wanted to know if it is worth applying in a few months for the 2021/22 intake
any news?
Did you eventually hear back from LSE? It would be great to know if I have a chance since I have a low 2:1 too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending